It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Jurassic Park' Dino had Feathers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I guess they are going to have to remake the film, according to this article the velociraptor of JP fame had feathers but could not fly.

The discovery was made on bones from the cretaceous period unearthed in the Gobi desert.

LINK

Paleontologists from the American Museum of Natural History and the Field Museum of Natural History made the discovery while examining fossils of a forearm bone that was dug up in Mongolia in 1998.

"The lack of quill knobs does not necessarily mean that a dinosaur did not have feathers," said lead author of the study Alan Turner.

"Finding quill knobs on the velociraptor, though, means that it definitely had feathers. This is something we'd long suspected, but no one had been able to prove."

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Its sad really because most peoples idea of what those dinosaurs were like comes from the jurassic park films and Spielberg used quite a bit of artistic license in the creature's look for the first one. For example, The Velociraptors, he made about twice the size they were in real life(he wanted to make them even bigger but his advisors were strongly opposed), The Dilophosaurus didn't have a neck frill or spit venom and was about three times the size that it appears in the film.

When i say its sad, I mean that its sad because most people will never go out of their way to learn what these creatures were really like.

as for the feathers, that doesn't surprise me in the slightest, we will probably find more and more species of theropod which exhibit this trait.

[edit on 20-9-2007 by Chonx]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
In the 3rd JP the raptors do actually have feathers, and anyways real Velocoraptors as those were only 3' tall, so they would have to make them smaller too.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
This is being taught that T-rex had a massive feather collar like a lion.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Oh god, the next Jurassic Park film is going to have a T-Rex that looks like Julian Clarey...

There is knowledge I wish I did not have, and feathery dinosaurs ruins a few illusions.

new topics

top topics

join