It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

smartbuy or waste of cash?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Is it me or has this forum become more active in the last few months?

Listening to the Glenn Beck show 2 nights ago and several investors were on there talking about the economy's future outlook. It was grim at best. The nations premier investor Warren Buffet has invested his money elsewhere(european union and in gold). Kind of unsetteling and got me thinking.

I have decided to purchase a surplus 5ton truck from the military that has a expandable mobile shop attached to the back with a diesel generator. Outfit it like I would a home with bunks down one side and kitchen/latrine down the other...I will have a rolling fortress. It is a start and should provide a decent shelter for the wife and kids...Pretty much a go anywhere kind of vehicle.

Multifuel you cant beat it...not fuel efficient but it will get me were I need to be AND privide shelter once I am there. If nothing ever happens, cool, I get to be the 1st kid on the block to own one and it would just be our Redneck RV.

But if it does this should be able to get me somewhere in the sticks....with a full tank I should be able to make it to Canada...or some other place out of the way and out of sight until the initial shock of things blow over.

Paranoid and overkill..maybe. But I cant convince myself that I DONT need it. What do you guys think?

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I'd go with my gut. Even though I'm situated in a rural location with a good water well, several springs and an underground shelter I still keep all my survival gear in a motor home. Who knows? Maybe I can stay put,,,,,but what if I cant? Give yourself as many exit strategies as you're able.

I'd insulate all walls and if possible I'd panel the walls and overhead with acetate sheets. That should make anyone inside invisible to Thermal Imaging.

[edit on 20-9-2007 by SemperParatus]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Hi kaferwerks, it would be great to see a photo of the truck and trailer. How many miles to the gallon does it do? Where do you keep it? not in the drive surely?. Anyway good luck to you if you ever need to use it.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
whhhat? This sounds like a crazy idea! What if you can't get any gas? Better spend the money to have it converted to run on some alternative fuel source, if you're that concerned about POOP hitting the fan.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaferwerks
.....should provide a decent shelter for the wife and kids...Pretty much a go anywhere kind of vehicle.

...it also provides a nice (aerial) military target. You could accomplish the same thing with a smaller, more fuel efficient off road vehicle (a jeep perhaps), well equipped with a bit of aftermarket stuff.

Another thing - with many situation x scenarios, a standard vehicle just won't cut the mustard.

check out this thread for apocalyptic vehicular discussions:

10 vehicles for the apocalypse

cheers

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Is it me or has this forum become more active in the last few months?

Hehe, as I clicked on the Survival section of the boards, I thought to myself "I bet you can tell how bad things are getting based on this forum's traffic.." Sounds like a pretty cool truck. Is the gun turret coming in the mail?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   
LOL...
The gun turrent is on back order...
I will keep it parked at my shop which is a few blocks from where I live.

"also provides a nice (aerial) military target. You could accomplish the same thing with a smaller, more fuel efficient off road vehicle (a jeep perhaps), well equipped with a bit of aftermarket stuff. "

Had a jeep very well equipted...shower and all. A tent on the top along with many other features...BUT it was barely big enough for the wife and I and when we would hit the mountains it has limited cargo room...now two children later....I need room and a vechicle that can go just about anywhere....dont need so much as want.

"whhhat? This sounds like a crazy idea! What if you can't get any gas? Better spend the money to have it converted to run on some alternative fuel source, if you're that concerned about POOP hitting the fan"

What sort of alternative fuel source are we talking? wood? This is a multi-fuel vehicle...if it is combustible it will run on it...Diesel, gas, JP5(I know Iknow...where u gonna get that)...dont think you could ask for more than that...Vegetable oil?...thats an easy fix. I figure if you plan it right you could have fuel for quite some time just off of veggie oil...

Another thing - with many situation x scenarios, a standard vehicle just won't cut the mustard

Dont believe this is such a standard vehicle...

Man if the military comes after me...it doesnt mater what vehicle I have. They can find you...I have some experience with thermal optics...(worked on them for several different helicopters and some armored vehicles)....you dont get away from thermal imaging very easy...and more importantly very long.

You may be able to hide your heat signature ....you wont show hot next to your environment but they have the capability to switch polarity and what was white/hot is now black/hot...cycle this a couple of times and things really pop out...there are optics that also look for "holes" in uv light and it works EXTREMELY well coupled with thermal...so there is no hiding in any vehicle...

I would like to say that I would jump in my old vw camper bus and off I go...what if I have to drive off road or run something over...I love the vw but she doesnt have a lot of punch.

The point is the minimize the shock to my wife & children by creating something that could resemble home as much as possible...Amazing how much things change when kids are involved.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Paranoid and overkill..maybe. But I cant convince myself that I DONT need it. What do you guys think?

I say, good job and way to be prepared!
Sometimes I wish I felt as strongly about getting prepared as you but I have the opposite problem. I can't convince myself that I DO need it. Seeing that our country has lasted this long without a 'big event' happening, I keep telling myself "what are the odds of something happening now". I'll probably pay for it later but........

new topics

top topics

join