It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extremely Large Moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Many time I have been driving down the road and when I look at the moon it will be HUGE. I'm not talking about large for the moon. I'm talking, abnormally huge. I continue to watch it and while I do it goes up and gets smaller within a few minutes. I researched this and found that it is an optical illusion. It just doesn't seem logical to me to be an optical illusion. If you have seen this to then maybe you know what I'm talking about.

Moon Illusion

Here is a link about the illusion but I have seen it many many times, not just summer 2007.

Not sure if this is where I should post this. Sorry if its not.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I've seen it too, many times throughout my life. It's just what NASA says it is, IMO. Sometimes it's particularly spectacular when it's also orange. Don't they call that the "harvest moon?"

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I saw it this year while driving over the McArthur Causeway from South Beach, it was an amazing and beautiful sight. The skyline, the water, too bad I had no camera with me that night.

btw, since I can see no paranormal link, I'm moving this thread over to the space forum.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I noticed that tonight but when i took my son out to photograph it, it was back to normal size. I thought i had been mistaken and had imagined a large half moon but your post confirms what my subconscious was screaming at me.

Come to think of it about a fortnight ago i managed to snap a large moon.

Here it is

Turns out that was taken the night of my Odd Lights post.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Nobody knows for sure, but the prevailing theory seems to be that it's an optical illusion.

www.how-come.net...

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
So the illusion is a theory and not necessarily a fact?

Out of you guys that have seen the large moon, how large was it? The largest moon that I have seen was about as big as a mountain. It was freakin HUGE! It really freaked me out. Of course that was about a year ago or so. I haven't seen one that big in a long time.

I just think there is more to it than an illusion. I don't know what though.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I read somewhere that it appears to larger the closer to the horizon it sets from the perspective of the viewer.

Reason for this is because of Earth's atmosphere causes the illusion of magnifying the moon.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
It usually looks biggest when it is near the horizon. Maybe it does have something to do with magnification, as stated in the post above, but I read that the magnification does not add up to much of a noticable difference.

I heard it's an optical illusion that has something to do with the relative size of other things on the horizon.

Next time the Moon looks big, try this experiment. Get a ruler and hold it in your hand with your arm fully extended, and measure the big-looking Moon (measure as precisely as the ruler allows [1/16 inch, 1 mm]). After a few hours, when the Moon has risen in the sky, and it looks small again, re-take the measurement. Use the same meathod as before -- with your arm fully extended. You will see that the two measurements are the same, and the Moon really wasn't any bigger in the earlier measurement.

[edit on 9/19/2007 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Back in November 1997, first week of the month, I was driving from NJ to Boston. Somewhere in Connecticut, not far from the MA border, the moon appeared on the horizon so incredibly large that my BF and I had to pull over to observe it.

It was so large it took up nearly the entire skyline and appeared as if it were going to swallow up the earth.
I've researched as best as I could, but the descriptions of the "optical illusion" moon just don't fit this specific scenario, and never in any pictures of such an event have I found one to appear as large as what I saw that evening.

It was actually quite frightening at the time... as the only thing we could think of was that the moon and earth were indeed about to collide.

I'venever seen anything like it before or since.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I've researched as best as I could, but the descriptions of the "optical illusion" moon just don't fit this specific scenario,

Why not? It was on the horizon, wasn't it? Our mind assumes objects directly overhead are closer than they are on the horizon - clouds are much closer when directly overhead than when on the horizon. This is not true of the moon though, so when it's on the horizon our mind assumes it's much farther away (and consequently much larger) than when it is directly overhead.

and never in any pictures of such an event have I found one to appear as large as what I saw that evening.

Naturally, that optical illusion doesn't work in photographs since your mind isn't interpreting it as part of a true distant horizon anymore. In fact, since the moon appears to be the same size in photographs taken on the horizon and high in the sky with the same equipment, it proves that it's just an illusion which can only be seen in person.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by slimpickens93
I read somewhere that it appears to larger the closer to the horizon it sets from the perspective of the viewer.

Reason for this is because of Earth's atmosphere causes the illusion of magnifying the moon.

Im thinking it also has alot to do with the phase the moon is in. Full moons look so large because they are soaking up more light, and by proxy, reflecting more light to become bent, thus enlarging its apparent view from your event horizon.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Nobody knows for sure, but the prevailing theory seems to be that it's an optical illusion.

www.how-come.net...

Wow,
Hey guys, don't worry about it.
Uber's got this one down pat.
I mean, no one really knows for sure if it could be as simple as an optical allusion.
It's likely much more complex- Like, somehow the moon decides to lose weight the higher it gets (Likely doesn't want to appear overweight with so many eyes on it.)

Outstanding.
The whole thing, outstanding.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
About a year ago it was early in the morning and I thought that the sun was rising without any glare. I couldn't figure it out, thinking that it must have something to do with atmospheric pollution given that it was near the horizon. So I stared at it in amazement and then noticed around 45 degrees to the East the Sun was rising. So this must be the moon? But it was too big to be the moon. I even thought for several days that it must be a second moon or Niburu or Planet X that had come into our solar system without anyone being told. Really, I've seen the moon a lot in my lifetime, and never never before did it seem any bigger than usual. Could it be that it has undergone a strange orbit, or do those chemtrails really screw up the optics at the Earth's surface?

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Maybe it's the same illusion you get when you see cows or sheep on hills/fields, sometimes for some reason the looks like giants. Anyone know what I mean?

[edit on 22-12-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Why not? It was on the horizon, wasn't it? Our mind assumes objects directly overhead are closer than they are on the horizon............

Yes, it was on the horizon... and I'm not doubting the fact that it's an optical illusion, as I'm still here and to my knowledge the moon never did crash into the earth, lol... only that the descriptions I've read aren't nearly the same magnitude of what I witnessed. Which makes me wonder if there wasn't something else at play there other than a simple optical illusion.

I wish our eyes could take pics of illusions such as that, it'd make for an amazing photograph... it's certainly one of the most spectacular things I've ever seen.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Don't they call that the "harvest moon?"

Actually each full moon has a name, the harvest moon is in September, the name comes from the extra light field workers would get so that they could work after sunset. There is a table of all the other names here quite near the bottom of the page, we should be in the 'old moon' now, or the wolf moon.

To the OP... Did you know at the last perigee (point at which the moon is closest to the Earth in its orbit) back in December it was the closest one for about 15 years? And it was only about 120 miles further away than it's absoloute closest point in it's 375 (ish... google it!) cycle. So yep, I suppose now is the time it could look bigger! I think it can vary by 14%.

But yhea, overall I would go with optical illusion, when it's low you can reference it easily to known objects like hills and trees, when it's way up on it's own it can look considerably smaller.

The moon, nice to look at, not worth visiting by all accounts... No atmosphere, and John Lear lives there

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I've seen it too, always in the summer. I believe it is in optical illusion, just like looking through a glass of water. Our atmosphere is the same I guess. And for those who are talking about pictures they've taken recently. Isnt the moon its closest to us now as it has been for a long long time? I remember reading about this a few weeks before xmas.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lee_K
And for those who are talking about pictures they've taken recently. Isnt the moon its closest to us now as it has been for a long long time? I remember reading about this a few weeks before xmas.

No, the moon's orbit has a closest point and a furthest point since it is not perfectly circular. A short time before christmas we had a full moon during the closest point in its orbit, called periapsis.

new topics

top topics

join