It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cell phone ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Its now against the law in the city of Phoenix to text message while driving. So that means, i think, the police will pull you over look up your records etc. for just holding your phone regardless if your texting or not.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Great idea.

No record, no worries.

Texting and talking on a cel phone
while driving is a distraction.

Put simply, it causes accidents.

Had some bimbo on a phone rear-
end me a few weeks ago.

Was funny. She was in a friends car,
because she wrecked hers.

Irony ?

I think not.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
In the UK it has been banned for some time. You can only use a hands free and even that is frowned upon.

People have died as a result of idiots using their mobile whilst driving.

Edn

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Though i think its a good idea, the driver should be concentrating on the road, what about everything else? should radios be banned? cigarette's? talking to passengers? How far do you go really?

imo, a radio is potentially just as dangerous as a phone, listening to it you may get distracted or changing the channel you have to take your eyes off the road to do it, theres not much difference actually from a radio and a phone.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
imo, a radio is potentially just as dangerous as a phone, listening to it you may get distracted or changing the channel you have to take your eyes off the road to do it, theres not much difference actually from a radio and a phone.

And for that and any of your other examples, should you be involved in an accident or be driving dangerously in the UK, you will be arrested.

Edn

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by Edn

And for that and any of your other examples, should you be involved in an accident or be driving dangerously in the UK, you will be arrested.

But then wouldn't the same apply for phones? Why introduce a new law if theres already one for dangerous driving which using a phone and having an accident would come under.

I know exactly what the law is for, its to make more money, my uncle has been pulled over a few times and charged with using a mobile phone even though it didn't actually work, they basically told him "we have a target to reach" you ether pay the fine or we fine you for 5 other equally ridiculous offenses.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
You'd think it would, but they made a special case for mobiles to actually prohibit their use whilst driving completely, whereas your free to use your radio provided it is safe to do so.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   
pretty soon we wont be allowed to talk to passengers theres already a law here that wont allow teenagers to have more than two teenagers in the vehicle

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
In the UK it has been banned for some time. You can only use a hands free and even that is frowned upon.

People have died as a result of idiots using their mobile whilst driving.

Pretty much the same here in Australia. Hefty fines, $300+ (I think) and possible loss of licence.

Too many idiots killing normal people on the roads using mobiles without hands free kits.

The main issue with these is the way in which it affects the brain, studies have shown that while you are talking and driving, your mind is producing more alpha waves.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Couple of years ago I pulled up the side of a car at a T junct (I was on my motorbike - totally legit move in the circumstances) and the guy was on his mobile looking left with the phone to his right ear waiting for his gap in the very slow moving traffic. Without looking in my direction he starts nudging out slowly crushing my leg against the bike, I'm leaning over quite far now trying not to drop my bike saying excuse me mate (the windows down) he asks the person on the phone to hang on a minute and looks at me like I was being very rude - I (politely) informed him of his stupidity as the cars on the road we were about to emerge onto had to move into the other lane to get pass his bonnet - slowing the traffic even more - he rolled his car back just enough to take the pressure off my leg, apologised to the invisible person on the other end and wound his flippin window up so I could not interrupt him again

In retrospect I shoulda shoved that phone where the bluetooth reception is none existent

top topics

join