It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian President's Visit to Ground Zero Denied

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Iranian President's Visit to Ground Zero Denied

www.foxnews.com

The Iranian president, who is arriving Sunday to address the United Nations' General Assembly, had asked the police department, the U.S. Secret Service and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey earlier this month for permission to visit the site of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, police spokesman Paul Browne said.

The police and Secret Service provide security to visiting heads of state.

The request to enter the fenced-in site was rejected because of ongoing construction there, Browne said. ...
(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT: Updated the post to reflect the updated article.

[edit on 9/19/2007 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Of course, this isn't too surprising, but still. It seems as if war with Iran draws ever closer.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Also, here's the CNN article just in case you aren't too fond of FOX News:

New York: Iran's leader can't visit ground zero

Link: www.cnn.com

City officials in New York have denied Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's request to visit the site of the destroyed World Trade Center next week, a police spokesman said Wednesday.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad asked to visit ground zero, but New York city officials said no.

The controversial, outspoken president wanted to "pay his respects" and lay a wreath at the site of the 2001 al Qaeda attacks during his visit to the U.N. General Assembly, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said, citing Iranian officials.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Has any official reason been given for them saying no to this perfectly normal request?

When will America stop acting like children towards Iran?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
This is what the CNN article says:

But workers are rebuilding the foundations of the site, "and it would not be possible for him to go where other people don't go," Kelly told CNN.

Don't know what this means, exactly.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I can see that America's Properganda machine is already working on its citizens!
Geemony, In response to your above comments, I will just use the below quote from CNN.

Iran is ruled by a Shiite Muslim government hostile to the fundamentalist Sunni al Qaeda

Ahmadinejad's predecessor at the time of the September 11 attacks, Mohammed Khatami, condemned them, and Tehran cooperated with the U.S.-led campaign to topple al Qaeda's Taliban allies in Afghanistan that followed.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeyJo
I can see that America's Properganda machine is already working on its citizens!

LOL ok ill move it over to sonics thread Smokey Joe,

Smokey J , i make my own mind up and I dont believe I ever say that I feel this way becasue I think Iran had something to do with 9-11. Ground zero is sacred in my mind to all american citizens and the Iranian president and his countries leaders have long been involved with terrorism. Ground zero was an act of terrorism and Iran doesnt have the right to use it for thier purpose if even to be sincere. The act of 9-11 doesnt have anything to do with my view, its Irans policy toward Terrorism as an acceptable form of war with its enemies.

Geemony, In response to your above comments, I will just use the below quote from CNN.

Iran is ruled by a Shiite Muslim government hostile to the fundamentalist Sunni al Qaeda

Ahmadinejad's predecessor at the time of the September 11 attacks, Mohammed Khatami, condemned them, and Tehran cooperated with the U.S.-led campaign to topple al Qaeda's Taliban allies in Afghanistan that followed.

www.cnn.com...

Doesnt mean squat I look at them both the same way just different sects of radical islamic fundamantalism. Not the Iranian people the government they have, they both bank roll terrorism. I liked Mohammed Khatami i thought of him as a man who embraced freewill and generally loved his people. The mullas didnt like the direction he was taking Iran I suspect. But my stance on IRAN is about accepting terrorism not whether they had anything to do with 9-11.

Edit inorder to transfer from duplicate thread

[edit on 19-9-2007 by geemony]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I was just thinking how we had Japans Ambassador here talking peace days before Pearl Harbor. We had leveled 'economic sanctions' that were about to bankrupt them. Are we slow to learn, or do we invite a provocation which will allow us to go full tilt. How many will run to the recruitment office in the name of patriotism this time I wonder?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by geemony
i make my own mind up and I dont believe I ever say that I feel this way becasue I think Iran had something to do with 9-11.

Clearly they didnt. Im not sure how you can make your "own mind up" when there is no evidence. Your starting to sound like the American Government.
Iran dont play handball with AQ.

Ground zero is sacred in my mind to all american citizens and the Iranian president and his countries leaders have long been involved with terrorism.

Long been involved in terrorism.. When? When they were fighting Saddam? Wouldnt that put them on the same side as the USA..
Oh I forgot, Saddam wasnt a terrorist then, he was 'sponsed' by the USA

Ground zero was an act of terrorism and Iran doesnt have the right to use it for thier purpose if even to be sincere.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad asked to visit ground zero "pay his respects" and lay a wreath at the site.
You dont think any Iranians died in 9/11.

The act of 9-11 doesnt have anything to do with my view, its Irans policy toward Terrorism as an acceptable form of war with its enemies.

Clearly it does. Read your above statements.
BTW Iran was a Persian democracy before the USA got involved with political
agendas and installed a dictatorship..
Also, remember Iran supported the USA in Afghanistan. Is that also Terrorism?

Doesnt mean squat I look at them both the same way just different sects of radical islamic fundamantalism.

Clearly you dont know what a sect or even what 'fundamantalism' is. Just because you are religious, doesnt mean your fundamentalist

Not the Iranian people the government they have, they both bank roll terrorism.

One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.
Because the USA gives funds to alot of countries, especially ex-soviet, does that mean they also fund terrorism..

But my stance on IRAN is about accepting terrorism not whether they had anything to do with 9-11.

They dont like AQ, - Who cares, they terrorists also. Why? Um they want Nuclear Power.
Just because a country doesnt suck up to the USA doesnt mean they are a terrorist regime..
Wake up. Iran are not terrorists, they just see more benefits in trading with the EU/ Russia / China than the USA.
The USA doesnt like this, so they give them the big old rubber stamp. TERRORIST

Edit - Fix Quotes

[edit on 19-9-2007 by SmokeyJo]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Funny that...

I don't recall him making any such request anytime between 2001-2007.

Just a political stunt.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
Has any official reason been given for them saying no to this perfectly normal request?

I think it's for the shorty'...ehrmm I mean ahmadenijad's safety. Too many people want him dead.

*polishing my rem .308 700p*

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by geemony
Doesnt mean squat I look at them both the same way just different sects of radical islamic fundamantalism. Not the Iranian people the government they have, they both bank roll terrorism. I liked Mohammed Khatami i thought of him as a man who embraced freewill and generally loved his people. The mullas didnt like the direction he was taking Iran I suspect. But my stance on IRAN is about accepting terrorism not whether they had anything to do with 9-11.

Funny that -- I can prove, and it's well known that the American Government once sponsored Saddam and also Al-Qaeda. Can you prove to me that Iran sponsors terrorism -- or are you just going by the propaganda driven mainstream media?

I'm not saying it's definately not true -- although even if it was, than theres the argument of whether or not they may have a right to do so (atleast in a comparative point of view). The US invasion of Iraq is a far greater problem/potential problem for Iran -- as opposed to when the USA sponsored Saddam & Al-Qaeda which was purely just within the governments interest, part of their agenda.

I just think you may be putting a little too much trust into your Government and the Mainstream Media.

As for the situation with Mr. Ahmadenijad's request being denied -- I think he knew what the answer would be, and used it to his advantage to pretty much reveal the absurdity... and I also think the American media/government took advantage the situation to spout more propaganda about Iran. In the end I think the result hurts Iran more and is only beneficial to the US Government's agenda.

It wasn't a bad idea from Mr. Ahmadenijad, but I think he may of underestimated how gullible the larger part of the American populous is. It would only ever work against him.

[edit on 20/9/07 by Navieko]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Navieko
As for the situation with Mr. Ahmadenijad's request being denied -- I think he knew what the answer would be, and used it to his advantage to pretty much reveal the absurdity... and I also think the American media/government took advantage the situation to spout more propaganda about Iran. In the end I think the result hurts Iran more and is only beneficial to the US Government's agenda.

But if it hurts Iran and benefits the US, why would he do such a thing? It doesn't make sense considering all public factors.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson
I don't recall him making any such request anytime between 2001-2007.
Just a political stunt.

Exactly. Trying to give the impression Iran is sympathetic to America's losses in an attempt to gain sympathy from more US citizens when the bombs start falling. But hey, that's what politics are all about. Good try Ahmadinejad.

[edit on 20/9/07 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
But if it hurts Iran and benefits the US, why would he do such a thing? It doesn't make sense considering all public factors.

Like I said, perhaps he underestimated how much propaganda the majority of American's have already taken in. Also he may not have foreseen how strongly and swiftly the mainstream would have exploited the situation for their government.

It is quite hard to believe the extent of the situation for those of us living outside the US, so I wouldn't be suprised if thats the case.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
so with the request denied he scores another point in the PR war.

geemony

Iran and Al qaeda are so polar oppostie in believe i take your comment that Iran had something to do with the events 6 years ago insulting. Suuni and shiite very much *viloently* disagree with each other - look at Iraq today to see the disagreements between them.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Navieko
Like I said, perhaps he underestimated how much propaganda the majority of American's have already taken in. Also he may not have foreseen how strongly and swiftly the mainstream would have exploited the situation for their government.

It is quite hard to believe the extent of the situation for those of us living outside the US, so I wouldn't be suprised if thats the case.

He may be the President of Iran, but he's not stupid. He should have know about how powerful US propaganda is here. Either he made an actual mistake, or this is a short-term effect that will eventually benefit him in the long run somehow.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

The article said he couldn't because of current construction and fences around the site. That the best they could make up. I believe it would go against the current media model of Iran being evil and terrorist.

[edit on 20-9-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Well, since no iranian official is allowed on enter us soil (they on a blue list at ariports) I find it strange to report such a statement.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 02:33 AM
link   
In regard to the construction workers' fence: rubbish. If a toady like John Howard were to visit the USA, certainly they'd at least let him hang a wreath on the fence.

I can understand the argument against giving a propagandameister like Ahmadinejad a photo-op on such a uniquely-American tragedy, but still--I think maybe the US would be taking the high-ground if they allowed him to do this.

Frog

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join