It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Jena 6

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Heres the situation...

6 white kids serverely beat up a black kid and are accused with attempted 2nd degree murder. No mention of a hate crime, and the white community is up in arms saying the punishment is too harsh. White leaders are desending on the community holding rallies to protest the seriousness of the charges.

Wait...did I have this backwards....whoops....sure did.

It was 6 blacks kids that serverely beat a white kid. After all this time, not once have I ever heard anything about "hate crimes." All I am hearing is how the punishment is unfair. What about the unfairness to the victim?

The 1st paragraph shows the hypocricy of the whole situation.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
You totally leave out that at the high school where this happened there was this tree that was the "white's only" tree and some black kids asked if they could sit there and apparently they were told there wasn't any problem. Later they found nooses were hung from that tree and after almost a year of provocations and a refusal to take the incident seriously tempers flared. Apparently the white kid that was beaten was thought to be involved and had been taunting the black kids using the n word and how they were going to hang their asses. Incensed the black kids beat the kid up.

You leave out the white kid who was beaten received a concussion, a black eye and a split lip and for this the black kids are being threatened with life in prison for attempted murder.

You also leave out how one conviction has already been overturned yet the kid has not been released.

You totally leave all that out RR and you also leave out how the DA has said that he wished he could be prosecuted the white kids who hung those nooses instead.

Of course this is the same DA that initially dismissed the incident as a prank.

[edit on 19-9-2007 by grover]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Thanks Grover, you bring up some great points.

Where are the flag-burners? Surely if burning an American Flag is free-speech, then hanging a noose should be protected also? Both are equally offensive.

Where are the Enviro-wackos protesting of cutting down a perfectly innocent tree?

Once again where are the hate crime supporters? If this situation were reversed, there would be no talk about the severity of the punishment. It would be considered a hate crime. Case Closed.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Those examples you cited pale in comparison to the odious 100 + year history of the lynching of blacks by white mobs in the south... in fact they don't even come close and unless you are a racist and/or just don't care, you know that. So don't give me that crap it doesn't wash.

[edit on 20-9-2007 by grover]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
This sounds like obstruction of justice, in my opinion.

The criminal justice system should never be held hostage by throngs of thugs.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

indeed. honestly, this is something about a school failing to protect its students... and then things end up getting out of hand. of course things will turn out like this when there is a "whites only" tree with nooses hanging from it.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I love the way some on the right try and hide their racism by connivently forgetting the truly ugly history of slavery and oppression laid upon the blacks (and other minorities but mostly blacks) for several hundred years in this country, by claiming that it is whites who are being oppressed and put out by black racism and other such bull hooey such as they call each other n----- so why can't I and other crap. RR conservative is especially prone to this.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I am prone to this?

When the liberal Don Imus spouted his venom. I dutifully called for his resignation.

When Clarence Thomas was nominated for the Supreme Court, I was thrilled!

When Alberto Gonzalez resigned I was very disappointed to see the 1st Latino Attorney General treated in such a disresptful way.

When I see Donovan McNabb play Quarterback, I look at him as a very overrated. When I saw Jason Campbell play I saw an up and coming QB.

When I see Al Sharton and Jessie Jackson criticize Barak Obama for "acting white" I see racism.

When I see a group of white guys beating up a gay person, I hear screams of hate crimes.

When I see a group of white guys dragging a black guy behind of truck, I hear screams of hate crimes.

When a group of black guys beat up a white guy, all I hear is how harsh the punishment is?

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Per usual RR you are missing the whole point of this incident.

Hanging those nooses was unacceptable period.
If the school and the city had properly addressed the issue from the beginning instead of slapping those white kids with a 3 day suspension... like expelling them instead. Much of what happened since could have been avoided.

The white kid got beat up for being an ass. You cry poor white kid.

Given the history try walking a mile in those black kids shoes.

When I see a group of white guys dragging a black guy behind of truck, I hear screams of hate crimes.

Are you suggesting that it wasn't? (The ring leader was a known racist and a member of a white supremacist gang.)

Or are you signaling your approval?

Or are you saying that its something that rednecks like to do on full moon's and Friday nights and we shouldn't be reading anything into it?

[edit on 20-9-2007 by grover]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
When a group of black guys beat up a white guy, all I hear is how harsh the punishment is?

That's a gross over-simplification.

1) A group of white kids threatened to murder at least three black kids (the nooses), and no legal action was taken against them. The black kids organized a peaceful protest and the school decided, Now is the appropriate time to call the police. They showed up with the DA, who threatened the protesters.

2) Some black students tried to attend a mostly white party and were denied entry. One of the black students was attacked and beaten. No charges were filed against the attackers.

3) The next day, the black kid who got beat up at the party saw one of his attackers at a local convenience store. The two exchanged words, undoubtedly harsh ones, and the white kid ran to his car, to get a shotgun. The black kid and a friend wrestled the gun away from him and took it home. No charges were filed against the white guy who basically pulled a gun on them at the mini-mart.

Instead, the black kids were charged with disturbing the peace, theft of a firearm, and second-degree robbery.

4) A white kid was bragging at school, about how the black kid had gotten beat up at the party, by a white kid. A few black kids took him outside and beat him up. The DA charged them with aggravated assault, but decides that's not severe enough. He increased the charges to attempted second-degree murder and tried the first kid as an adult, in front of an all-white jury.

By now, it should be pretty clear that, at the least, that town practices a very "selective" form of law enforcement. Yes, the black kids were wrong to jump him, but so were the white kids who beat that kid up at the party, AND, the white kid who pulled a gun on them.

That's why I'm upset. There's enough guilt to go around but, as of right now, only the black kids are being punished.

How do you feel about that, RR? Is that blind justice, or business as usual in the old South?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie

That's a gross over-simplification.

But thats what RR Conservative and guys like him on the right do. They either are incapable of understanding the real issues involved in a case like this, or deliberately ignore them.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie

3) The next day, the black kid who got beat up at the party saw one of his attackers at a local convenience store. The two exchanged words, undoubtedly harsh ones, and the white kid ran to his car, to get a shotgun. The black kid and a friend wrestled the gun away from him and took it home. No charges were filed against the white guy who basically pulled a gun on them at the mini-mart.

Instead, the black kids were charged with disturbing the peace, theft of a firearm, and second-degree robbery.

Funny how things get turned around to fit an agenda.

2 black kids chased the white kid back to his truck and stole the white kids shotgun, took it home and bragged about it.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I rest my case.

Unless you get your news solely from faux and mush loosebowels (which I believe is probably the case) that is not what the rest of the media is reporting or has been reported in this case.

Why don't you just be honest RR you are a racist to the bone. It is all about the poor little white boy isn't? How so unfairly he has been treated.

Nothing about the nooses hung from that tree.
Nothing about how the school administration totally wrote off this incident as a prank when the kids who did it should have been expelled to set an example that such behavior was totally unacceptable.
Nothing about all they got was a three day suspension.

You probably think the nooses were a funny joke and to get upset over.

Ya know I am about as white as you can get Scot/Irish/English WASP and I find this whole case deeply offensive and anyone who has a smidgen of a social conscious should to.

Ya know RR... it is your type of attitude that gives the Republicans and conservatives a bad name and why I wouldn't vote for one as road kill remover.... much less any higher office.

[edit on 21-9-2007 by grover]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Do you at least admit that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton do more harm then good? They do more to divide us and cause more racial problems then they do to heal our differences and unite us.

Grover, with all due respect you dont live down there, PR does ... the only thing you know about this is what you are told. PR could live in Jena for all we know. Its not people like him who cause problems, people like him just want to live their lives without idiots like Al Sharpton marching into town and riling up racial problems.

[edit on 21-9-2007 by ChrisF231]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
An interesting development

JENA, Louisiana (CNN) -- There is no link between the nooses hung by white students outside a Louisiana high school and the alleged beating of a white student by black teens, according to the U.S. attorney who reviewed investigations into the incidents.

~~~~~~~

The events occurred three months apart last year in Jena, Louisiana.

"A lot of things happened between the noose hanging and the fight occurring, and we have arrived at the conclusion that the fight itself had no connection," he said.

CNN

Good listen here, and the truth from a Jena Resident

"Black Attorney finds NO RACISM"

NPR Radio

No Black Jurors Show up for Jury Duty

The one question that has not even been asked, much less answered is why that jury was all white. After all, 15% of the people in the community are black and they should have been represented on the jury panel. It must be some Southern inspired injustice, right?

It seems that at the time of this young man's trial, no black prospective jurors showed up for jury duty. That seemed a bit odd to me, since a representative number of black jurors were called for jury duty that day.

It seems that the six young men involved in the beating incident are known area troublemakers. They are the terror of their neighborhood, their black neighborhood, where they create mayhem and are feared by all. Two of the prospective black jurors told multiple community members that they had not shown up that day because they did not want to be on the jury. They feared that if they voted to convict the young man, his family and friends would burn them out of their homes; that the young men were violent troublemakers and that the community was better off with them in jail.

These prospective black jurors stayed home and hoped that the white jury would convict the young man on trial that day and make their community safer.

Wrong things had happened in that community. There is no question of that, but that does not make it right for six young football players to jump another young man between classes, knock him out with a blow to the back of his head, and stomp and kick him while he lays unconscious on the ground.

Jena 6 Protest

Semper

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Semper if you actually sit down and read the accounts you will find that the noose incident was catalyst for an every increasing cycle of racial tensions built around it. And of course the DA is going to say that especially considering it was his office that dismissed the noose incident as a prank to begin with.

It may very well have been a prank but it was the type of prank that should never have been tolerated. Those kids should have been expelled period instead of a 3 day suspension.

As for the rest of your post I have not heard or read that. I will look see. But, my initial response is do you really think an all white jury is going to tell a black lawyer whether or not racism played a part in their decision?

Are you naive?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Of course I am naive Grover, to you anyway..

Just like the last poster here that was attacked for his opinion, I am blind, rednecked, racist and whatever else you call conservatives...

If you will note, I simply provided FACTUAL information from several different sites...

I did not then, nor do I now have any intention on debating you in this slugfest of insults that this thread has become..

I posted the information in case some poster was really interested in something besides mudslinging

Semper

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by HarlemHottie

indeed. this has been a horrible situation in which people are crying "double standards" at the wrong party.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Having grown up in the south during the civil rights movement; and having married into a black family, I am familiar with racism and the excuses used to justify it. And, the effect it has on minds, especially young minds.

I have heard the same sorts of arguments advanced by RR straight from the mouths of relatives who were members of the KKK and White Civic League. So, excuse me if I have a hard time buying oh the poor little white boy argument.

Nothing happens in a vacuum and while the noose incident and the beating may not have been directly linked as in A to B, there was a chain of resentment in the black community there, that just didn't happen. A lot was rooted in the fact that the school administration basically refused to take the noose incident seriously. Which given the history of lynchings in the deep south should have been. Instead they slapped the kids responsible with a 3 day suspension and continued to write it off as a prank.

THAT as much as anything is at the root of this issue. A root that neither you, Semper, or RR or Grady Philpot have even made even a half hearted attempt to address. And, if your track record remains the same, you won't.

BTW I did not call you naive, Semper.

I asked if you really believed an all white jury was going to tell a black lawyer the truth of whether or not their decision was based on race
And if you did believe that, are you naive?

[edit on 21-9-2007 by grover]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join