It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wheelchair-Bound Woman Dies After Being Shocked With Taser 10 Times

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Even if you give the police the benefit of the doubt, there is no need to taser anybody 9 times for 160seconds. You can't honestly believe that after the 5th time anyone would still be going full force. I mean that's 18 seconds per tase. WTF????? After the 2nd 18 seconds went by they were unable to run in and disarm her in less than half a minute.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

Officers said they arrived to find Delafield in a wheelchair, armed with two knives and a hammer. Police said the woman was swinging the weapons at family members and police.

Within an hour of her call to 911, Delafield, a wheelchair-bound woman documented to have mental illness, was dead.

she was obviously asking for it. there are a certain set of standards you are expected to abide by when conducting yourself in public. She obviously didn't want to cooperate, and they had no choice.

i figured I'd say it before someone else did.

Then why not just mace the woman? Hmm? She wasn't on PCP. There are plenty of ways to deal with a hostile person without tasering them to death. Also talking about "certain standards" she was MENTALLY ILL, that can very easily preclude the basic understanding of how one should act in public. Perhaps if this woman was related to you and you actually cared about her well being, then you would think differently. Yet, I know better than to try to separate people from their callousness. I just wish you could look at this from her family's perspective, rather than from a disinterested third party POV.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
No Mace, No flipping out of wheelchair, No conginal talks, No one but this woman at 56 in a wheelchair. NOTHING!

Cops think they are the rulers of the universe. Gun in one hand youn (in plural) on the floor. Kill or be killed. Nothing can convince me or tell me other wise that this WOMAN was killed by congestive heart failure period!

She was shocked to death! Most folks cannot even walk away or stand up after the first taser but 9 more later??? omg!

This is unbelievable! I am no one without numbers. We can change this if we all come together.

No one deserves to die like this, in a wheelchair holding a knife and hammer. Come on.

Man this is so sad to me. Not tomention the pregnant woman 2 weeks ago and the teenager just this week.

oh man this catastrophy is coming faster then I could have even imagined.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Regardless of the situation, there's no need to taze a wheel chair bound woman to wrestle a few weapons away from her and detain her. Police are required to take self-defense/disarming classes which would have been used in place of a potentially dangerous weapon. I don't see how I can disarm full grown men but these "MEN" have trouble taking weapons away from an old woman? The use of force these days is getting completely out of hand.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
You know, I agree in part that police tactics can be very over blown. Such as a black teenager who was shot in the back and was killed earlier this year when he tried to run away from a police officer while holding a knife. Unacceptable. Why couldn't the officer just shoot the kid in the leg, or *gasp* use a taser properly? Nor Cal is seeming to have this problem a lot, of officers taking head and chest shots, when blowing out a kneecap would be just as effective. Really my personal feelings on the police is that I have an incredibly hard time trusting people who are placed in a position of authority over us, when we have no say as to how they are chosen, trained, or the laws they are taught to enforce. If I am not hurting other people, or have been proven to be unable to take care of myself, then stay the f#&* out of our business. Then, even if help is needed, they better be damn well sure that they are emotionally competent enough to effectively make the best decisions in situations under extreme pressure where lives are on the line, because really lives are ALWAYS on the line. Now, I have met many good people who put their lives on the line as peace officers every day, and I respect them, however if I don't have personal experience with them, then my trust is temporal at best.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
This is a bit self serving, I was hopeing to get some comments on my explanasion of what happened, page 7. Although disrespectfull and dark humor I expected some comments. This is also a shamless bump.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

perhaps you need to be tasered 10 times.. i am sure a woman in a wheel chair regardless of the fact she had 2 knives and a hammer poses no problem.. sounds like these cops need a little more training in hand to hand combat instead of with guns, tasers and batons... wake up america , martial law is just arond the corner.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I can't believe I'm reading this! But then again... I can. Ten times with a taser!? Used on a mentally disturbed old lady in a wheelchair? This is an outrage.

I don't care if she was swinging weapons like a wheelchair-bound Ninja!! Even dangerous wild animals are tranquilized, in order to spare their lives whenever possible! Was this lady not worth as much as a wild animal??? Seems to me there were much better ways to handle this! When they saw the situation, I would think that they should have made a call to her doctor/psychiatrist first!! Since they were able to get close enough to taser her, then they would also have been able to give her a shot of some sort with medication instead, something to calm her down or even put her to sleep.

This is terrible, so sad, and in my view was handled very carelessly. My heart goes out to the grieving family.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
All the noise about "disarming suspects", going for kneecaps and arms and all that, is nonsense. The police in America are trained to shoot at what they know they can hit. Which is the biggest part of a person, that being the torso. I think the argument is that it lowers the chance of the policeman missing and hitting either a passer by or causing unecessary damage.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Maybe they should have removed all the relatives from the house and then took themselves out of sight 'till she ran down. Or would that have been too complicated of a plan to work?

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Clearly they used the easier way out. Did they not know how to handle a mentally ill person? And to think someone in a wheelchair could be such a threat to trained professionals. Would they have shot her if they didn't have tazers? Probably not.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join