It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Receding Permafrost is a Bone-Hunters' Bounty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:42 AM
link   
It seems that the receding permafrost is exposing ancient bones and while this could be a great opportunity for archaeologists, people are scouring the area and collecting these bones for the purpose of selling them.
Some of the bones end up in museums but I wonder if more could be learned from an organized dig.

LINK

CHERSKY, Russia (Reuters) - One day, climate change could cost the earth. For now, it is a nice little earner for Russian hunter Alexander Vatagin.

In Siberia's northernmost reaches, high up in the Arctic Circle, the changing temperature is thawing out the permafrost to reveal the bones of prehistoric animals like mammoths, woolly rhinos and lions that have been buried for thousands of years.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
When I was wee I always told folk I wanted to dig for dinosaur bones when I grew up. Wish I'd taken up the profession. Seriously, I could sit all day with a brush and trowel and uncover big bones. I'm sure there are a few organised groups at these melting tundras already. I look forward to see what they'll uncover. Perhaps a whole new bunch of previously unknown species?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I think this reinforces the idea that we are still coming out of an ice age and returning to normal.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by logicize
I think this reinforces the idea that we are still coming out of an ice age and returning to normal.

Agreed 100%

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
I'm sure there are a few organised groups at these melting tundras already. I look forward to see what they'll uncover. Perhaps a whole new bunch of previously unknown species?

I hope so too, it would be disappointing for the scientific world to miss out on this potential bonanza of prehistoric data.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I cant help but think that there might be people who just want to make money from this but keep us all updated!

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a wooly rhino? thatd be intersting to see

what about whooly bully?
lol

any pics at all of said discoveries?

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MurderCityDevil

I did find a 2+ minute video showing some of the finds from the region:

VIDEO

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Whoa.. I never thought of it that way. How interesting would that be?
I hope that doesn't mean polar bears and penguins and snowshoe hares and arctic foxes are going to go extinct.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Or - as is way more likely - this is just more evidence of global warming...

J.

top topics

join