It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Cartoon No Joke to Iranians

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I find the cartoon very amusing.
How is the cartoon racist? Do you even understand the word?

How can you be racist towards a nationality? Iran or Iranians is not a race.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BitRaiser

Excellent point,

Considering the recent PR. ramp-up of fear/hate our world neighbors.

Without reading too much into non verbal communication, it might be informative to look at where the roaches are actually placed? As per Israel they seem to reside in the approximate area of the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Turkey - the Kurdish region if I am not mistaken. Saudi Arabia - close to their Capital.

My only point being here that while free speech/art is rarely innocuous, it is typically based on some form of bias, purposeful or otherwise.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Good lord, these inbreeds! (saying this while eating spaghetti with hands :lol

I can't believe these people. I know for a fact that about 98% of Iran, like America, is saying "YAWN" for not caring. But you show an imam this and BOOM.

Hate Speech IS Free Speech. If it wasn't, then what was all that hate speech at Brittan in the 1700s about?

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Look this is satire, Let's go to the big board and see what webster says...

"It is used in graphic arts and performing arts. Although satire is usually witty, and often very funny, the purpose of satire is not primarily humour but criticism of an event, an individual or a group in a clever manner."

Cartoons like this are not meant to endear you to them, they are a statement, and opinon of the artist, magazine/paper, media, etc...

Satire's primary purpose is to provoke thought and discussion, relevant to the topic...

to those of you expressing outrage, I question your dedication to the ideals of free speech and expression!

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
My opinions on this cartoon.
I do think it is insultive, but all political are in one way or another.
I can't compare it to the cartoon coming out of Iran or the region because I have not seen any of them.
As far as cartoon go I don't really think it is a very good one. I did not find it to be amusing, or make me look at that part of the world or current events in a different light.
I did not think the cartoon in questing is any better the other series of cartoons depicting the profit published in Europe.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by scrapple

Ouch.
Yes folks, that's the WTC being stomped and a bunch of roaches running out. Powerful statement. I'm sure there are people in the world that would find it amusing. Maybe even funny.

Good example of how the original cartoon might emotionally effect Iranians.

I'm not American and your image kicked me in the gut.

It's important for people to remember my earlier point... these cartoons aren't just amusing things that papers print, it's a powerful form of propaganda that can easily effect people who are too simple or not interested enough to understand the larger matters involved in an issue.

They also act like subliminal messages. You remember them later when you're thinking about the issue, even if it's subconscious.

[edit on 21-9-2007 by BitRaiser]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
I can't compare it to the cartoon coming out of Iran or the region because I have not seen any of them.

There are several here: www.tomgrossmedia.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

There are several here: www.tomgrossmedia.com...

Thanks for the link. After reviewing the cartoons in at the site, I have come to the conclusion that if that is the cartoons other people in the area put out, then there is no reason they should be complaining about the cartoons the western nations put out. I will say that the cartoons listed in the link are a lot better then the one that got this thread started.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join