It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shut up and eat your dinner

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   
These days, at least among the chattering classes, everyone seems to have a food intolerance.

Some can't stomach milk because of their 'lactose intolerance'.

Others claim they can't eat wheat products, or drink coffee, or consume foods containing this or that evil ingredient.

Have these 'intolerances' been diagnosed by a doctor? Of course not. They're usually the result of advice from some unlicensed dietary or medical quack. Or they've been 'diagnosed' by the patient themselves. Or -- worst of all -- they learned all about it from their guru, holistic chakra tuner or spirit guide.

Personally, I've been listening to people's food intolerance tales with less and less credulity of late. And when I read this

Many 'imagine' food intolerance

I found that I was just about fed up. I think I may be developing Trendy Hypochondriac Intolerance.

Apparently it's a media phenomenon. It's trendy to have food intolerances. Fashionistas and Hollywood tabloid monkeys have them all the time, so everyone else has to have one too.

Excuse me now, I'm feeling a bit sick.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I've got an intolerance for barley. I don't know if that's imagined or not; I've never met another with the same condition. If I consume something with barley, I'll get a bad diarrhoea. I don't even have to know there's barley in there, it will happen and after the fact I will find out. It's always barley = diarrhoea, even if I was not informed that there was barley.

What does it mean? It's just barley, nothing else, as far as I know.

[edit on 19-9-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I am developing a intolerance for Jack Daniels, but switching to Vodka for a few days usually clears that up

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redge777
I am developing a intolerance for Jack Daniels, but switching to Vodka for a few days usually clears that up

Slash from Guns 'n' Roses had that too. It was turning his tongue brown.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I have a lot of food allergies. Trust me, they are real and not fun.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

Originally posted by Redge777

Slash from Guns 'n' Roses had that too. It was turning his tongue brown.

That would be because of the congeners in whisky. Vodka apparently doesn't have that many of those.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ParanormalShiver
I have a lot of food allergies. Trust me, they are real and not fun.

same here. this thread reminds me of a "debunking" thread

ok, some people avoid food because they think it upset them / triggered allergies - so what? Good for them, for taking a proactive stance for their health, and trying to exclude items that may be harmful.

you don't need to be lactose intolerant to understand the benefits of NOT drinking milk! There are many types of foods that you may be able to tolerate (in the clinical definition) but they can trigger migraines, and sickness - as opposed to swelling and itching.

It shouldn't be hard to believe that not everyone's digestive system is identical.

[edit on 19-9-2007 by scientist]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Holy Sniekies my man Lactose Intolerance is not something you can conjure up in your imagination. I once thought like you, and drank a glass of milk every day. One bad case of food poisoning and you may not be able to handle milk again either.

The last time I drank milk it felt like there was Drano in my gut. If only it were all in my head.

These illnesses are real and not imaginary. Anyone who is pretending to have such an intolerance for fashion is disgusting in my mind. We, on the other hand are genuine people with genuine problems.

Enjoy your ice cream. I may never again.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   

what a funny thread. I have no problem digesting any type of food. I can eat glass and rock and still function properly. However, tequila makes me very sick. I hate it when people want to have a conversation while eating. whenever I sit with mom to eat she wants to discuss world events or soap operas, so I wish I could say "shut up and eat your food" I'm a guy you know, I never talk while I eat, but females love talking on the food table, I don't get it.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
I hate it when people want to have a conversation while eating. whenever I sit with mom to eat she wants to discuss world events or soap operas, so I wish I could say "shut up and eat your food" I'm a guy you know, I never talk while I eat, but females love talking on the food table, I don't get it.

i knew i would find something to agree with you on eventually.

I think I just may buy a lottery ticket today

not many things irritate me as much as someone asking questions while I am eating, or waiting for my input on something, with food in my mouth. I feel like immediately answering and just spitting food all over them and myself, which would be the ONLY obvious result of their antics. which brings me to another point, i cant stand when someone is chewing, and is about to say something, so they stick their finger up, like "hold on" and then take these excessively large gulps, making it obvious they are preparing to speak...

god. introverted much?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
I hate it when people want to have a conversation while eating. whenever I sit with mom to eat she wants to discuss world events or soap operas, so I wish I could say "shut up and eat your food" I'm a guy you know, I never talk while I eat, but females love talking on the food table, I don't get it.

If you take a date out to eat at a nice restraunt eat a light meal before you pick her up. Then you will eat less of the expensive food, and be more able to talk between forkfulls.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I have a pet theory that the foods that you crave may actually be those to which you have some kind of allergy, or reaction.

The idea is that the 'allergy' (for lack of a better word) to the food causes the body produce endorphins (or some kind of neurochemical). When you eat the food you get some kind of endorphin rush causing a 'good feeling'.

Just as consumption of nicotine leads to a 'high', for some people, this may happen with a particular food.

This can lead to over-consumption of the food and you get what some people term, say with carbs, a 'carb addiction'.

We've heard that people can 'self-medicate' with food and that various foods are 'comfort foods'.

It may be that it's the (slight?) allergy or mild toxic affect is just causing a rise in the 'feel good' neurochemicals.

Though I'm not 'allergic' to milk, as in lactose intolerant, I find that if I drink liquid cow's milk I have a tendency to get a 'craving' and that can lead to over-consumption.

Because of this I've stopped drinking milk (except for that in coffee).

Again, just a theory. I'm not recommending people stop drinking milk, or start. (don't want the Dairy Ninjas to come after me
)

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
I have a pet theory that the foods that you crave may actually be those to which you have some kind of allergy, or reaction.

The idea is that the 'allergy' (for lack of a better word) to the food causes the body produce endorphins (or some kind of neurochemical). When you eat the food you get some kind of endorphin rush causing a 'good feeling'.

Good point, I get that kind of reaction followed by an endorphin rush with curry...the hotter the better, and if I'm having an 'Indian week' my tolerance and craving for chili increases til I get cramps in my gut from a lunchtime vindaloo.

(curry smilie)

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
i drink about 3litres (almost a gal) of plain milk every two days.

love the stuff, cant get enuff.

whats so bad about it? (seriously, im curious)

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

Some can't stomach milk because of their 'lactose intolerance'.

Others claim they can't eat wheat products, or drink coffee, or consume foods containing this or that evil ingredient.

Have these 'intolerances' been diagnosed by a doctor? Of course not.

Boy I sure wish this was just the truth.. Id love to be able to drink coffe like the rest of you.. But I cant!!! Not becasue its just in my head...

I dont understand posts like this??? Your saying that its all in my head when I drink coffee and have bad stomach reactions? That its all in my head???

Sure I understand some things are made in the mind. But some people really are intolerant to some food...
For one I cant eat spicy food.. Ulcer.. And a doctor told me not to eat spicy food, Are you trying to tell me its all in my head???

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by zysin5
Boy I sure wish this was just the truth.. Id love to be able to drink coffe like the rest of you.. But I cant!!! Not becasue its just in my head...

I dont understand posts like this??? Your saying that its all in my head when I drink coffee and have bad stomach reactions? That its all in my head???

I feel the same way when I speak on spiritual issues, some people do not believe something they never experianced can ever exist. Hey I have no problem with food alergies, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I have never been to Madrid either, it is probally real, and I have had some experiances others may not have had, but they are real.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Obliv_au

Well-l-l, I'm not really saying there's anything wrong with drinking milk. It's just that I choose not to over consume it because it is high in calories. Once I start drinking milk again, it's not difficult to get the 'cravings' again and I'd just rather not go there.

Three liters of milk = 101 oz.

Nutrient breakdown:
Fat.......Carb.....Protein....Total Calories

I don't know about you, but 946 calories is about 1 days' worth of calories for me.

I just prefer not to get all that fat and carb, either.

If you're overweight or trying to lose weight, cutting back on higher calorie dense foods can help. If I was able to drink milk without craving it, then, sure, I'd probably have a cup a day.

Having said that, a simple search on 'Dangers of milk' will get you a number of (inflammatory) websites.

Wiki says that there have been no definitive studies proving that a modest amount of milk is harmful, or if the milk product is contaminated with WBC, or that getting bovine hormones are harmful. You'll have to draw your own conclusions.

I must say I haven't missed it - took me about five tries and a week of being off it to be able to eliminate it from my diet. Having done that I'm not eager to start up again, but that's just me.

[edit on 19-9-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by zysin5

Hey just interested, what happens to you when you drink coffee? do you like the smell of coffee, at least you get to smell it I guess, lol.
Just wondering.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

what happens to you when you drink coffee? do you like the smell of coffee, at least you get to smell it I guess, lol.

I love the smell of fresh coffee!! I crave it!! Yet when I drink it, my stomach turns upside down, and Im on the pot for the next 20 mins!

It just goes right threw my body!! I dont want to get to graphic but its not worth drinking it for me... All my friends and family can sit around and drink it.. but not me... Oh well, I love tea

And dairy products, milk, cheese, ice cream.. Some people can not ingest that stuff without getting sick.. And its not in their heads!!

someone made a post above me talking about people crave stuff we cant eat.. Its true!! I love the smell of coffe, and love mint.. Yep I can not handle either one of them.. Nor can I do spicy food...

Dont get me wrong, I belive in mind over matter.. Yet you have to understand sometimes matter is more powerful than your mind..
Hence Matter over mind...
Its like saying the fire wont burn me becasue I dont belive it will..
Try sticking your hand in the fire and see what happens...

[edit on 19-9-2007 by zysin5]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
There are some people who actually do have food allergies and intolerances, but I find it hard to believe that there are that many people who are allergic/intolerant to so many things. The part about the whole situation that bothers me most is that there are people who get sick one time after eating a certain food and swear that they are allergic and can't eat it. Maybe you were just sick that day.

My hubby for example got sick after eating tater tots when he was younger. To this day he swears he can't eat them or he'll get sick. It's all in his head. He can eat french fries, baked potatoes, fried potatoes, etc. But he's still convinced that he can't eat tater tots, even though I tried explaining to him that it's no different than french fries or fried potatoes.

I for example got sick after eating spaghetti not too long ago. It was due to morning sickness and I know that. But the next several times I tried to eat it, my stomach did flip-flops and I thought I was going to be sick again. The spaghetti didn't actually cause me to be sick, and I didn't actually have a reaction to it. I know this, but my mind still kept trying to tell me that if I ate it I'd get sick. Lo and behold, I ate some and my stomach tried to crawl up my throat. Yet, after eating it a few more times I don't have any more trouble with it.

My point is, people are too quick to jump to the conclusion that they are allergic/intolerant to certain foods. Getting sick one time from eating something you've eaten your entire life does not an intolerance make, aside from a mental one. It just amazes me that people are willing to self-diagnose themselves with allergies/intolerances rather than going to a doctor and being diagnosed by them. People who have been diagnosed by a doctor, I believe. Those that self-diagnose, I tend to believe are either exaggerating or have just convinced themselves that they're allergic/intolerant to whatever food and make themselves get sick subconsciously.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join