It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for info about the United Way

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I'm not really sure where to put this post, so the general category is my pick.

Hopefully some of you here can help me out. The company I work for pushes hard for us employees to donate to the United Way. We have these silly forms handed out to us to fill out. Luckily it's voluntary now, but it used to be mandatory that you filled in the form even if you put a donation amount of $0.00.

I am looking for information about any sort of corruption, fraud, and scams that has occurred within the United Way organization. Maybe if I can get enough stuff I can convince my employer to support a local charity/organization instead of some giant beast that probably consumes most of the donations it receives by paying it's big wigs.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
intresting, my company just finished having a mini carnival and month long united way drive here. they pushed employees in meetings to sign up and give donations via paycheck "automatically deducted" i told them basically when i get less deductedfrom FICA and free insurance ill give to the UW until then no.

here at wiki you can read some of the bad press.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I dealt with the United Way in the Kansas City area for more than several years. I even was on a couple of their committees for raising money and contacting groups. That being said, I'm no expert , but I do have practical knowledge.

As a whole, the group does support some organizations I do not agree with. You can opt out of these groups for your donations. You do realize there are quite a few charities that fall under the United Way name.

It's not just one charity, but a family of different charities, under one organization. There are around 100 local groups and 50 national groups under the United Way in the Kansas City chapter.

Check into your local chapter for groups you want to support. You can have your money go to that/those groups only.

I don't think you will find what you are looking for with the United Way. I think it's an honorable institution.

new topics

join