It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israelis ‘blew apart Syrian nuclear cache’

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Thing is though, maybe not all 36 were deployed, maybe one or two were for training purposes and operational unit conversion. Thats not an uncommon practice is it?

These things don't just come out of the box and work

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Never heard anyone claim all 36 were deployed. Approx. 10 of the 36 are scheduled to be shipped from Syria to Iran in '08. Wonder why Russia doesn't ship them directly to Iran?

Anyway, you ever see vehicles shipped completely disassembled? No. Vehicles are shipped mostly assembled. Some assembly required? Yes. Use a crane to set the "turret" assembly onto the truck for the mobile version. Hook up the electronices, etc. and deploy.

Think of it like this. Why would a mobile air-defense system be designed to take months to put in the field? How would you get them deployed into a remote battlefield action if they took that long to deploy? Wouldn't make a lot of sense would it? Months of assembly to deploy? No.

The question is not so much if they were deployed, but how Israel defeated them. Perhaps a clue is that India procured some? Or is it the reported secret Russia - Israel defense cooperation?

More pics

At anyrate, lets say for the sake of argument that they were not deployed, it still means that Israel defeated the Strelets anti-aircraft missile complex and Tunguska anti-aircraft missile and gun complexes that Russia delivered previously.

[edit on 9/19/07 by makeitso]

[edit on 9/19/07 by makeitso]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
A report yesterday said the Israeli's jammed the defenses so effectively that some equipment in neioghboring Lebanon was down for several days.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I am still not convinced that the latest in Russian AA weaponry can be so easily defeated. I just doubt Syria used them. One purpose of the continuing violations of airspace (and this example can apply to the Russian bombers probing Western defences) is to test the response your met with.

I just cannot believe for one moment that the IDF, a force that found it hard to suppress Hezbollah and had their own comms compromised last year, could so easily defeat the latest in Russian hardware on their first attempt. It just seems to good to be true.

If it can, the Russia has some serious work to do. After all, these were hardly the cutting edge aircraft used by the Israeli's anyway.

What actually relaible reports have we of this "altercation". Do we know what AA fire the Syrians responded with? From what I have read, the Syrians did open fire, which "chased" the IDF off.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Many reports from Syria itself stated that its newly aquired air defense systme is what drove the Israeli's away.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Many reports from Syria itself stated that its newly aquired air defense systme is what drove the Israeli's away.

I don't suppose you could link to these sources as the only things I can find on the subject are the very ambiguous details that we already "know".

I have read that Syrian AA systems fired on Israeli jets and "drove them off" with no apparent attack taking place. No details on what, exactly, was fired.

I've also heard from US media that a Nuclear cache was destroyed successfully.

I know Assad has sent his son in law to the area to "assess damage".

Both Syria and NK deny any nuclear involvement.

It has to be said, that the areas claimed to be a Nuclear site by US media would be the stupidest and most unlikely place to place a secret facility. One report suggested it was next to the Turkish border and one said it was next to the Iraqi border. Now, placing a Top secret research facility on any border is a bit daft, don't you think?

Bottom line is that in the media and even in this thread, alot of people are making grand assumptions when there is actually bugger all evidence of anything bar a minor incursion by the IAF into Syrian airspace.

Even last year, when the IAF buzzed the Syrian Presidential palace, the Syrians only responded with some light AAA fire. Not a missile was fired, just some flak to say "We know you there, now piss off". For all we know, that is what happened this time round.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I got a question.

Mannnnn, when will there ever be a peace in Middle East?

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   

A senior official in the ruling Syrian Ba'ath party said Thursday ~ Israel ordered the flyover in Syrian airspace to test air defense systems newly acquired from Russia.
linky

So, there it is. Testing the new air defense.

*shrugs*

[edit on 9/20/07 by makeitso]

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Look how Timesonline only prints zionist comments!

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I just heard on Fox News Channel that the attack on 9/6 was carried out on the approval of the U.S. Now that everybody knows the U.S. was behind it, how long until some sort of retaliation?

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhanks28cold
I just heard on Fox News Channel that the attack on 9/6 was carried out on the approval of the U.S. Now that everybody knows the U.S. was behind it, how long until some sort of retaliation?

There won't be any retaliation.
Syria was in the wrong and they know they were wrong. Why would they retaliate?
And Israel attacked with our permission, we didn't order the attack.

Israel showed us evidence they had gathered in a raid on that site. So...
- Israel raids site (sometime in the past 3 months)
- Gathers nuclear material (of NK orgin)
- Shows U.S. the evidence; Asks U.S. if they can take out site
- U.S. says yeah
- Israel airstrikes site

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Israeli commandos seized nuclear material of North Korean origin during a daring raid on a secret military site in Syria before Israel bombed it this month, according to informed sources in Washington and Jerusalem.

The attack was launched with American approval on September 6 after Washington was shown evidence the material was nuclear related, the well-placed sources say.

They confirmed that samples taken from Syria for testing had been identified as North Korean. This raised fears that Syria might have joined North Korea and Iran in seeking to acquire nuclear weapons.

Israeli special forces had been gathering intelligence for several months in Syria, according to Israeli sources. They located the nuclear material at a compound near Dayr az-Zwar in the north.

Evidence that North Korean personnel were at the site is said to have been shared with President George W Bush over the summer. A senior American source said the administration sought proof of nuclear-related activities before giving the attack its blessing.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ThatsJustWeird

Israel violated Syrian airspace and suddenly Syria is in the wrong? I don't follow your logic. And as for the article you linked, it is highly suspect. Discussion on that article can be found in the following thread:

Israelis Seized Nuclear Material in Syrian Raid

As for the Syrian retaliation, they've stated that they reserve their right to retaliate, but not necessarily in the same manner. You can find that in the thread linked above as well. Look for the Newsweek interview with their ambassador to the UN.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   
The ‘testing Syria’s new defenses’ theory is what makes the most sense to me. IMO the whole story of taking out some nuclear installation is probably just propaganda for Western consumption. One thing seems certain, the build up to war continues.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Just wanted to update this thread a bit.

Syrian site faces scrutiny by atomic agency

George Jahn in Vienna
October 30, 2008

FRESHLY evaluated soil and air samples from a Syrian site bombed by Israel on suspicion it was a covert nuclear reactor provide enough evidence to go ahead with a UN investigation.

Evidence found for Syrian nuke probe

October 30, 2008

[...]diplomats said the IAEA's final evaluation, completed this week, convinced the agency it needed to press on with its investigation.

The agency feels "there is enough evidence there to warrant a follow-up", one of the diplomats said.

[edit on 10/31/08 by makeitso]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Just updating an old thread with new info.

New book reveals full story behind bombing of Syrian reactor by Israel

En route to the reactor, they bombed a radar station in order to thwart Syria's ability to identify the infiltration. A few minutes later, the jets reached the Dir al-Azur area: They fired Maverick missiles and dropped half-ton bombs at the nuclear facility, recording direct hits.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join