It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google calls for web privacy laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Google calls for web privacy laws

news.bbc.co.uk

Search site Google has called on governments and business to agree a basic set of global privacy rules.

Without global standards the health of the internet was at risk, the firm's privacy chief Peter Fleischer told a UN agency conference in Strasbourg.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.news.com
canadianpress.google.com

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
This is great that the dominating search engine would call for standards in privacy prtection around the world. Hopefully they have enough weight to get this done in countries around the world or at the least hopefully get a standard nationwide privacy act in the US.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14/9/07 by Pfeil]

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I just read an article how Canada considers Google's Street View program an invasion of privacy. There is no consent given by the people who happen to be in the pictures, and yes, although it's a public street, Canada still has expectation of privacy law.

Source

It's funny this same company would start preaching web privacy.

I think the government has a very good reason to work with the # 1 search engine in the world. Someone from the government surely would want a copy of the top 50 or top 100 searched items, to see what the general public is trying to find.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Pfeil

Thats rich coming from Google, a site that reprints Libels, abuses and insults and refuses to remove them without a LOT of hassle

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Google gives search trends already. I am just guessing this is what you were talking about.
www.google.com...

Google bows to privacy pressure from Europe
business.timesonline.co.uk...

Although Google has had some issues with privacy themselves.
www.pandia.com...
(just one example) It kinda goes inline with a link above.

I dunno, there are so many nations that have no or almost no laws to protect privacy. Also, considering that so many people are ignorant in all the different ways information about them can be obtained of the internet by people wishing to do them harm, Im not seeing Googles privacy push as a bad thing. That is if it really is for privacy issues.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
If Google wanted to help people it would remove the most incredible of abuses and Libels that it reprints from usenet.
Or at the very least make it easier for people to have obvious Libels and abuses removed.
They wont. They dont care about anyone or anything unless it makes profit from them, so to see Google preaching about privacy laws?
Sorry its just doesnt wash with me. They probably see some way to make money out of it.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   

If Google wanted to help people it would remove the most incredible of abuses and Libels that it reprints from usenet.

Thats rich coming from Google, a site that reprints Libels, abuses and insults and refuses to remove them without a LOT of hassle

Can you give links? I havent heard about this and Id really like to read up about it if at all possible.

I have only heard of one incidnet, a guy did a search on his name and a lot of links with negative information came up...none of it had anything to do with him personally, just his name. (IIRC) But, I think he still sued google about their page rank system.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Links? Just do a search for Google Libel reprints, Google Abuse reprints
Google Libel reprints.

The problem is very little ever gets out as its usually between Google and the person concerned.

I know of several people who have been very badly Libelled on Usenet and have asked Google to reove the posts and they refused.

Libel actions are too expensive unless you are rich

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Ok, nm. I thought it would be nice if the person that was saying all this about google and libel could provide links to specific cases for all of us that dont know anything about it, but appearantly this was to much for you to do. Im sorry for trying to inconvenience you. Dont worry about it.

new topics

top topics

join