It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wii now best selling console worldwide - edging out 360

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
www.1up.com...
Subscription Required

Not many would have predicted it a year ago, least of all that it would happen this fast: The Financial Times reports that the Wii has surpassed Microsoft's Xbox 360 in global sales. It's the first time in 17 years -- during the dominate 16 bit days of the SNES -- that Nintendo sits at the top spot of the console market.

The report is based on sales figures from Enterbrain in Japan, NPD Group in the US and GfK of Germany, which tracks European sales. Sales figures from each console's launch date through the end of July (and the end of August in Japan) were added up, with the Wii just barely edging out the 360: 9 million for the Wii, 8.9 million for the 360, and 3.7 million for the PlayStation 3.

Happened a lot sooner then I expected. I guess the 360 Hardware problems are really holding them back. It's what has held me back from buying a 360. Well that and no GTA4 till next year lol. PS3 is looking a lot like the Dreamcast lol. Sony is in a very bad position what with the critical panning of Lair which was much hyped but completely failed to deliver. Developers as we speak are re-deploying resources to make games solely for the Wii rather then just make crappy ports. I'm a bit miffed at the lack of faith, but I don't blame them. Nintendo had a lot to prove and they've even surprised themselves. I can't wait till their next attempt at Virtual Reality!

[edit on 14-9-2007 by sardion2000]

[edit on 14-9-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   
OH well.. we still have halo 3 on the 360 plus tons of other awesome games coming our way.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
You can have classical games on the wii, and it gets you active. Xbox 360's are cool too, but I think most people buy wii's for excersize and fun at the same time. Most people want to play video games, but also want excersize, so they go for the Wii.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
That really hasn't been my experience. Most people play video games to veg out and escape reality.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by last_resort

There are only a few games that require you to stand and do a lot of activity, usually only the sports games. Most of the games for wii will have you sittin on the couch veggin out like the rest of em.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I think all the consoles are crap. They could have done a lot better with the graphics for all of them and they're just playing the money game. Only reason WII wins is b/c its the cheapest.

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Techsnow makes an epic point. The Wii is considerably cheaper than the other consoles, BUT, most games for the Wii are not worth playing. 360 has gears of war, Halo3(FTW) and many other great hits. where as the Wii has like what? -11? O and the PS3 just plain sucks..

[edit on 20-10-2007 by Nyte Angel]

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I think that is old data- Gamespot is saying that the 360 was the top seller in September selling 3 million units.

top topics

join