It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Czech wakes up speaking perfect English after crash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Czech wakes up speaking perfect English after crash

www.dailymail.co.uk

Czech speedway rider knocked out in crash wakes up speaking perfect English

...For although the 18-year- old Czech knew only the most basic English phrases, he was conversing fluently in the language with paramedics...

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-9-2007 by Skyfloating]

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I find this piece of news absolutely amazing.

Yet more real life hard evidence that human ability is far more advanced than most sceptics believe.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Possible explanations:

The brain is not the seat of the mind, as science wants us to believe, but only a translator of energy. Damaging a part of the brain allowed other frequencies (in this case English) to sift in.

Or the guy shifted to a parallel world.

any other ideas?

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   
this isnt the only case
other people have has this experience

for example a women in the US, it was cockney, the accent some british cab drivers use around london

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
lets bring on the sceptics of paranormal phenomena to explain this one.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a great post
just one of the many things science cannot explain
our world is not just black or white, there is a little grey patch as well

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Very strange. But not the first case. When I was 15 (that was almost 10 years ago) a cousin of my had a bad accident. He woke up and started speaking a foreign language. His parents freaked and sent him to a bomoh (local shaman). Shaman said it was a dead language. After some voodoo magic, he came to and forgot the whole thing ever happened.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
After some voodoo magic, he came to and forgot the whole thing ever happened.

Now thats even stranger. Funny how these cases are often related to languages rather than other abilities. What does this mean???????

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I have an alternate explanation: the guy lied about his English ability pre-crash. He was actually fluent, and he just liked the idea of being "famous" so he pretended it was a new ability.

I'll buy that before I believe that someone can suddenly speak a language fluently that they couldn't before.

I'm sure other skeptics will have other postulates about this one.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
thanks for representing the sceptical viewpoint. I guess if you dont want to include paranormal & consciousness-as-interdimensional concepts, thats the ONLY way to see it.

apc

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
It's just a matter of probability and elimination of unnecessary complexities...

Considering that everybody lies, it is entirely possible this guy did.

But that does not dismiss the fact that these things do happen.

The unknown here is the capacity for recall, particularly in the case of language which has a great deal more structure in the brain than just memory.

I for example speak Spanish, but many words I can't remember right off the top of my head. In conversation however the words come effortlessly.

This man most likely knew much more English than he was consciously aware of, and the trauma he endured broke down barriers allowing for this knowledge to come to the surface.

The brain is a truly convoluted place which while progress has been made, we have barely scratched the surface of its secrets.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

This man most likely knew much more English than he was consciously aware of, and the trauma he endured broke down barriers allowing for this knowledge to come to the surface.

That makes sense, yes.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

I've heard of this happening before, but mostly with people speaking with a different accent in their own language. I tried to do some research on this subject, but came up with not enough to mention.

However, in this case, I reject any paranormal explanation.

The report says that the man was studying English, so the above explanation is the most likely.

I doubt the man is lying. His English proficiency is not likely to be unknown to those who were the closest to him, so lying about it in the international press would be self-defeating.

Of course, there are cases like this:

en.wikipedia.org...

But, the circumstances are very different.

[edit on 2007/9/14 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

I tried to do some research on this subject, but came up with not enough to mention.

in this case, I reject any paranormal explanation.

[edit on 2007/9/14 by GradyPhilpott]

maybe you came up with nothing on your research because you reject anything unusual happening.

apc

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Had this had no known cause - no head trauma, stroke, seizure, etc - paranormal might enter into it. But this case had a clear cause: he got bonked on the head.

Trauma has a very powerful influence on the brain. Both physical and psychological. Freud and Pavlov both went into great detail on the profound impact and mechanism of a traumatic event.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Had this had no known cause - no head trauma, stroke, seizure, etc - paranormal might enter into it. But this case had a clear cause: he got bonked on the head.

Trauma has a very powerful influence on the brain.

Trauma has a powerful influence on the brain...like saving you many years of learning a language to get it all for free within a few minutes?

alright. maybe we have different defenitions of what "Paranormal" means.
From this event and other similar events one thing is clear to me though:

Mind/Consciousness has the ability to learn an entire language within a few minutes. And someday we will find out how without having to bang our heads against the walls.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

By the way: Him getting bonked on the head is not the "cause" of him knowing the language. The cause of that is not as "clear" as you say it is.

apc

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
... no, it is the cause of him being able to recall the language.

Every word, every sound, every sight, taste, scent and emotion you've ever experienced has been recorded in your brain. However the majority of the information does not have strong enough associations to permit conscious recall.

The fact that he was attempting to learn the very same language he suddenly was able to speak only encourages the sudden emergence of the pathway.

It happens all the time on a smaller scale. Occasionally you'll hit on one of the associations to a relatively dormant memory and trigger recall.

Or like in this case, something may hit you and trigger recall...

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
So its time for english language schools to practice headbanging, right?

I get your point and agree with it too. But to be more precise I would have to say that a change in the brain structure was the cause of his new skill. Therefore, it must be possible to access the same ability without damaging onseself. I like the future prospects of that very much.

new topics

top topics

join