It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AI in Virtual Pets to learn in Virtual Worlds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Came across this on the BBC:

Online worlds to be AI incubators

Online worlds such as Second Life will soon become training grounds for artificial intelligences.

Researchers at US firm Novamente have created software that learns by controlling avatars in virtual worlds.

Initially the AIs will be embodied in pets that will get smarter by interacting with the avatars controlled by their human owners.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I say cool. I've seen and interacted with the AI in virtual pets. There really is nothing intelligent in them. I could probably script a smarter bot.

But this idea, this is a great idea. For you paranoid folks, think of it this way -- better to release the artificial intelligence in an artificial world, no?

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
This is actually a first step. Virtual environments are much simpler than real thing and it aids AI to 'get on its feet' before it is released in the wide open reality.

Dr Ben Goertzel is doing a great job in this field. Interested readers may check out his project here:
www.agiri.org...

This is partly open sourced, so if anyone is interested he can contribute.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Just hope there isn't a glitch and the VAI doesn't go Skynet on us...

I know it won't happen, but I can dream can't I?

apc

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I wonder if these AI pets will be spayed and neutered.

Something tells me a virtual cat in heat will definitely not be a furry little ball of joy.

This doesn't really compare to Skynet though. More like the Matrix.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I can't wait to play Will Wrights Spore for the PC. It's based on AI and building up life forms.

top topics

join