It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good bug-out locations near your hometown

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by metalmom
I've been thinking of different places I could go, but my wonderful family just pats me on the head saying," Okay Mom." Unfortunately, we live about 30 miles outside of LA so if we get hit it probably wouldn't matter anyways.
I just hope that if something were to happen, I could have everybody with me. I try to set up emergency plans and I have supplies but they think I'm just bonkers. Maybe I am.

The blast radius of the most likely warheads is just a few miles.

Most warheads will be 1 Megaton or less, the multi-mega-ton
warheads are reserved for hardened targets like the silos,
and underground military bases.

Summary of blast radius and effects of nuclar explosions

I suggest you read this article, and it will let you know ....

You will survive Doomsday.

You will survive Doomsday

What comes after that is another story though.

If you are near a military base you may not make it.

They go over all the details though.

A lot of excellent information on that site if you want to take the
time to read and you can get a full civil defense meter set
off Ebay for under $100.

That site also shows you how to make one very cheap too, and some
ppl make them out of their homes and sell them online complete
or in kit form very cheap.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by metalmom

Don't let that kind of thinking stop you from making plans. L.A. is huge, nukes are scary but by today's quite small. Not making plans will greatly reduce your chances of survival.
If it is a terrorist weapon, 1 or 2 kilotons tops, so the initial blast zone and lethal area is relatively small (it will grow over time due to fallout). For ICBM's, they don't make city killers anymore so there destructive force will be in the 10 to 20 kiloton range. Unless your right next to an Air Force or Naval installation don't give up hope of surviving an initial attack.

I hope this helps you move forward.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

All good points, I just got done responding to another user who felt there was no chance of surviving a nuclear event.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

Im with you on that

Im 60+ miles north of Atl. Ga and on average the wind pattern is west to east so ill stay if the nukes start. If its zombies, martial law or the dreaded ex wife "OH HELL NO!!!!" its deeper in to the mountains I go.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I will be where I feel safest within city limits. Think about it all rural areas are probably considered so I would assume if it is real bug out time some may already be there. I will stay within city limits too many buildings and homes to search not to mention the subway systems may have to clear but ya know thats buggin out. If we talking zombies HOLDS DOWN FORT ON NEAREST BRIDGE 1 WAY ON 1 WAY OFF TRY IT IM SURE I WILL CATCH SOMETHING COMMING ON IT FROM ATLEAST 300+ YARDS WITH the M107 OR BARRETT .50 CAL SNIPER RIFLE something on that level-lots of gun stores food places car dealerships ect. I am sure I would have a bunker or to to investigate which I already have but why post them now I may need those if the city gets to heated smh. Anyway good luck and keep a nice long blade on deck just in case you run out smh @ returning to the thrifty swords play.
peace

[edit on 8/18/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
My suggestion would be to go ahead and move.... That's right...MOVE NOW.

Go ahead and live in or near the bugout area. Be a farmer, a crasftsman, start a small business... start a self sufficient lifestyle and start living the life you will live after the X event.

Build a cabin, get to actually know the neighbors, start growing good clean nonGMO foods...raise your own livestock, learn to preserve your harvests, can, dehydrate, fish, hunt, join the local groups to build connections... ie Vol. Fire dept...or something like the Grange or Lion's Club... or a church, temple, etc of your choosing.

BECAUSE if you can't live that life now... you aren't gonna be able to live it then...you will die in the barren wilderness...hungry, cold, and tired...and alone.

Really, in a SHTF situation...you expect to be able to drive 14 hrs without chaos, military roadblocks, desperate hitch hikers, panic masses, every little town and cross roads will be an opportunity to lose your ride and or be detained or arrested or hijacked.

Go ahead and move and build your refuge now... live free and healthy and be happy. We did... you can too.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by koytetsu

Plan for the worse, hope for the best. Great mentality. But always have backup plans.

My family and I have 8 backup scenarios in 2 groups -- Local- & Nationwide.

Example:
- Local: Riot on west side of town. Go to east local point (aka, friend's house).
- Nation: Nearby metropolis gets nuked. Head opposite direction to rendezvous point A. Make sure you pass mountains ASAP to avoid fallout.

Have a backup plan for different degrees of danger. And yes passing thru mountains/hills may not stop nuclear fallout, but mountains/hills will slow it down.

The simpler the plan the better. During high-stress times, your family members may or may not remember details of a complex plan. Keep it simple and direct.

Make sure each family member has two sets of BOBs: 1) car; 2) home.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by guppy]

[edit on 19-8-2010 by guppy]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Since I live in southern Oregon, I'm pretty much already in a good bug-out place. I can just walk out my door and hike into the wilderness or take a 30 minute drive up any one of the thousands of logging roads. I've been up there a lot lately since hunting season is right around the corner. Lots of cougar tracks.

I've been thinking about hiking out and finding a remote safe place to make myself a cache for when the SHTF.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by janon]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join