It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you give up your cellphone? If found to cause cancer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
My sister talked some crazy things. The other day she said that "Cellphones cause cancer" I told her off and refused to accept it. I don't think that the radio-satellite signals or whatever else, can cause cancer. but what If I am proven wrong? the question is, would you give up your right to use a cellphone if a study came out proving it does?

I would not, sadly. I use my cellphone for everything, from watching Television to internet-emails and news. I could not live without it. I guess I would have to deal with the cancer if it came to that.

What would you guys do? toss it or keep it?

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 01:47 AM
link   
"I could not live without it"

Sorry, but thats a load of over hyped crap.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Whenever my phone is in my pocket I set it to aeroplane mode, so it emits no radiation at all. I get called 'weird' and 'paranoid' by all my mates, but who's the one that's gonna be laughing 50 years down the track??

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I would toss me phone in a heart tick. I use it for home and work. Life would be so much more peaceful without the dang Captain Kirk technology.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I suppose that I could live without my cell phone. After all, I lived without one for the vast majority of my life -- over 45 years! But, strangely, this little piece of technology has become so ingrained and such a basic part of my life, I would have to see some hard evidence that cell phones cause cancer before I would consider giving it up.

Of course....the tin foil hat does offer some protection...right?

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3_Libras
"I could not live without it"

Sorry, but thats a load of over hyped crap.

wow. people seem angry today. I have my reasons. 1. I don't have a landline and I wont pay for one. I think that one day all landlines will be erradicated. Why would I pay 2 phone bills when I can make free phone calls after 7pm on my cellphone and it woks better than the landline. Basically, I eliminated the need for a basic phone and I receive all my calls on my cp.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Telepathy is the next step in human evolution.

Therefore i would relinquish my phone in an instant

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I had to carry a cell phone and pager for work for seven years. I have grown to hate them like the devil himself. Pay for a landline. And quit trying to interdimensionally microwave hotdogs.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Where is planet freakdom? I hear the alien worms burrow deeper into the head with cellular waves.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Today I accidently set my phone to 'speaker mode'. So now I just talk at a bout a 3' distance from the phone. (prior to this I used an earplug and wire, so I was at least 3' then, but occasionally I'd put it up to an ear.)

Now, with speaker phone, it's much easier than a headphone and less cumbersome. (I don't use the phone in public places much).

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I haven't got one and I'm ashamed to say I don't even know how to use one. So, if we're on a sinking ship together don't chuck your phone to me to call for help. It's getting a bit embarrassing actually.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I point blank refuse to own one... to quote Grarrison Keillor on cell phones:

"If God meant you to have a one way conservation in public he would have made you crazy."

I don't want to and I don't like hearing people's conservations in public and it makes me want to shout at them.... hang up you aren't that damned important.

AND when you hear something like this.... "Hi honey... I am in front of the bread... what am I looking for again?"

All I can do is pray that the barbarians hurry up and get here... stick a fork in our collective asses and turn us over, we're done.

I have a friend who, if you took away his cell phone he wouldn't be able to handle it and go catatonic, which might be a good thing since he is one of the most egregious abusers of cell phones I know.

Its bloody pathetic.

[edit on 10-9-2007 by grover]

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Cellphones are a necessity today. Like I said, that's my only way of communication. I got tired of using payphones that steal your money. I will not pay for a landline as I am already paying 70 a month for a cellphone account, it would be crazy to pay another 70 for a landline, when I don't even talk that much. My phone at home belongs to my sister and I never use her phone unless my battery is dead. plus, I think it's an advantage, because anyone can reach me. I like cp. but if they can cause cancer, then like I said, i'd have to rethink the whole situation. but for now, i'm all in!

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I would, even though most of my age peers (teens) would not, practically under pain of death. However, my parents just got our landline cut off, so I expect cellphone use to become a more major part of my life.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Cell phones have never been proven to cause cancer. This does not mean that they may not contribute to a condition that may arise, but it is going to be very hard to prove they are cause for concern. Cancer, and in this case, brain cancer can arise from a number of different factors, which are all very hard to pinpoint as a direct cause of the disease. For example, it would be extremely difficult to obtain data on the patients use of a cell phone pre-diagnosis. A patient may not be accurately able to predict how much he/she used their cellphone over a given number of years, and this is just one way that a risk factor analysis is very difficult to conceive from unreliable data sets.

This, taken in conjunction with a few known facts about cell phones and other supposed products that contribute to cancer rates do not show these items to be of sufficient a risk to make them a determining factor in tumor growth. Cell phones and other such personal appliances usually emit low frequency radiation, which is part of the electromagnetic spectrum that includes radar and radio waves. This alone does not pose enough of a potential risk to be a determining factor in the upsurge of cancer cases. I would be more willing to accept any evidence to the contrary if it was proven that these products emit Ionizing radiation (they don't emit this of course), which can cause drastic changes in DNA and has been observed to do so on a number of occasions.

On a side note...

If a cell phone was developed that acutally emitted this deadly form of radiation I would give them up straightaway. I am not particularly fond of cell phones (or regular phones for that matter) and my wife even had to coax me into one, so I'm not a person who would be even remotely depressed about losing them.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Well, the cancer causing is not as serious as it seems. Even if the cell phone companies have a warning in the phone's package. At any given time soo many radio waves are already going through you anyway, using a phone sparingly would not hurt so to say. I'd supposed having it near your head all the time, could cause some kind of cell disruption byt aiding on cancer, but not fully causing it. I don't use my cell phone much, but I'd give it up over a grotesuqe mass of cells eating my brain.

new topics

top topics

join