It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tunnel Dating to 70 A.D. Found Beneath Jerusalem Main Road

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   

JERUSALEM (Sept. 9) - Under threat from Romans ransacking Jerusalem 2,000 years ago, many of the city's Jewish residents crowded into an underground drainage channel to hide and later flee the chaos through Jerusalem's southern end unnoticed

news.aol.com...

According to the article, they have found relics from the time period in the tunnel which they anticipate may well be half a mile or longer. They say some of the original plastering is even visible.

It's hard to fathom something from that long ago but it certainly seems an amazing find particularly in light of the discoveries yet to be made within the tunnel and the portions of the tunnel that are still not uncovered. I wonder what condition the objects found as well as the remainder of the stretch will be?

[edit on 9/9/2007 by trek315]

[edit on 9/9/2007 by trek315]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
nice find, yours and theirs. One of these days, someone is going to stumble upon something that will close the book on stories in the bible, either confirming or denying what was written. These finds bring us one step closer.

as to being able to fathom something from 70 B.C., all I can say is head to Greece, Egypt, Rome, Israel etc. Lots of ruins dating back even further.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Well I can imagine that the modern streets of Jerusalem are full of wonderful relics.

The town has been know to be destroyed many times during wars and occupations, it most be centuries upon centuries of artifacts hidden.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Actually Crakeur, I've been to Italy and one of the most amazing experiences of my life was setting foot in Pompeii. To literally be able to place that foot in the ruts in the road made by ancient chariots was quite an experience. The artifacts, architecture, and art painted onto the walls of homes made me feel as if I were among ghosts. I don't know how many rolls of film I used that day.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I felt the same way when I was in Greece. I was interested in Greek Mythology when I was younger so being there and seeing the locations where many of the myths took place was a total trip.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I would love to see Pompeii. The best I've done is Hadrian's Wall and an old temple/hospital complex in Grand, France. I waded down a sewer in the dark.

something about the feeling of history when at places like that gives me the shivers.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I loved Mythology when I was in high school. I even had to create my own god and tell his story so I created Discoleum, god of disco. Alright, so I just dated myself now didn't I?

and yes, MM, being in these places filled with history definitely gives a person shivers. I also felt that when I visited the Roman Colosseum and the catacombs at St. Peter's. I would love to be able to walk around in the tunnel mentioned in the article or be there as they uncover further portions of it.

top topics

join