It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dial-up connecter has been constantly popping up/how to make it stop?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
For the past few days or so when I have turned on my puter the dial-up connecter pops up automatically and it will not let me cancel it out. I sometimes use wireless instead of dial-up and have had no problems with this box coming up until recently. If I click cancel or the x box, the box will go away and come right up again. It will even do this when I am not trying to use the internet at all. If I open word, that box pops up in the way making my computer unusable (it won't minimize, just stays in the way) until I connect to a dial-up connection. I haven't been able to use this wireless thing at all since this started.

How do I get this to stop?

I have software on my puter to scan for stuff and it's turned up nothing.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Easy enough...

With Windows Explorer open go to "Tools" and select Internet Options" (or if you got to Internet Options from the Control Panel).

Select the "Connections" tab.

Select the "Never dial a connection" radio button.

You will still be able to manually dial a connection by using whatever provider shortcut you have.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Yes, I did that and hit apply yesterday. Then, everytime I tried to do anything with the internet with the wireless, it kept showing offline and popping the box back up again. And then I kept looking and it kept resetting the box to dial.

This started the day after I was on this message board website. I was reading a thread and suddenly IE browsers kept popping up one right after another and I kept clicking the 'x' but more kept coming up. I shut down the computer via power source because puter wouldn't allow me to access the start menu, or anything else for that matter, and started it back up again. Then I ran a scan on my puter to see if there was a virus, but virus scanner showed nothing. The next day it started doing the pop up thing with the dial up connecter and I haven't been able to get it to go away.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Sounds more like a...

Dialer/Hijacker... Some virus scans won't pick up this type of file, I would try Spybot Search & Destroy (the real Spybot, not one of the malware versions) or Lavasoft's Ad-Aware... Both are free, and have excellent reputations and are devoid of malicious code.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
MM is probably right. Spybot Search and Destroy is an essential tool.

You can also try this if you still have problems.

top topics

join