It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Court Fines Iran 2.65 Billion for 'Heinous' 1983 Lebanon Attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   

US Court Fines Iran 2.65 Billion for 'Heinous' 1983 Lebanon Attack

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A US federal judge on Friday ordered Iran to pay 2.65 billion dollars to families of 241 soldiers killed in the 1983 bombing of a Marine barracks in Beirut, calling his ruling a warning that attacks on US citizens will not be tolerated.

Judge Royce Lamberth said the award "may be the largest ever entered by a court of the United States against a foreign nation."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
afp.google.com
www.abcmoney.co.uk
www.enews.ma
www.channelnewsasia.com

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
In 2003, another court found that Iran provided logistics and financial aide to Hezbollah in the 1983 bombing in Beirut.

Iran dismissed the courts ruling holding it liable by saying, " the decision was provoked by the Zionists."

Good answer! I'm not really sure if Iran meant their decision to help Hezbollah or the courts ruling.

However, now with this new court ruling holding Iran responsible for paying this $2.65 billion to the families of the soldiers who died in that attack, the families are lobbying for legislation that would "make it easier to chase down and seize Iranian assets".

Sounds like a pretty good way to start a war to me, start seizing Iranian assets. (I personally don't want the US to end up in a war with Iran)

I guess only time will tell if this administration uses this court ruling in any way to try to start a war with Iran.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

join