It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there any really good sequels?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Does anybody have any recommendations for a good sequel to a good movie.

I'm pretty fed up with all the lame ones that seem to be an inevitable reason to cash in on the success of a great film. I have just watched The Butterfly Effect 2. Rubbish! The first one....Great.

In my opinion, a good film needs no sequel and can stand alone through the test of time to prove that it is a classic. Something that can be watched over and over again and still be entertaining. Donnie Darko is one of these films, I see new things in it every time and it is still, in my opinion, one of the most thought provoking films I have ever seen.

I sometimes feel presumtious when sitting down to view a sequel, that it won't live up to any reasonable expectation and I am wasting my time.

Admittedly some films are part of a package that comes with pre-planned sequels to complete the story, often too long to be made into a single film.....The Matrix and Lord of the Rings are two examples.

So forget all the Horror sequels (Friday 13th part 1, 2, 3, Haloween, Phantasm etc), can anyone recommend any good titles out there?

I need inspiration my fellow ATSers...........sock it to me!

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Godfather II
The Road Warrior. not as good as Mad Max in my eyes but a damned fine follow-up.
Empire Strikes Back. Definitely better than Star Wars, once you remove the amazement of the dazzling (at the time) special effects impact of seeing Star Wars for the first time.
Superman II - Less Cheesy than the first and the three baddies in this one were far more fun to watch than the Luthor plot in the first film.
Indiana Jones sequels - take your pick. Both were awesome.
The Lord of the Rings two follow up installments. Personally, this film should be viewed as one long epic but, since they broke it down to three films, let's give credit where it is due. The last film is a bit long and gets a bit long winded with an extra hour or so after the big battle but still an amazing film that deserved all the honors and accolades it received.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur

Indiana Jones sequels - take your pick. Both were awesome.

Raiders was awesome! I thought the heroine in Temple of Doom was really annoying.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
gotta mention one of my favorites

back to the future 1, 2, 3!!!

awesome and fun trilogy

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

He didn't ask for sequels that were better than the first. All three Indy movies were awesome.

Back to the Future was a fun series.

Terminator 2 was another good follow up.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I was just saying I liked Raiders best of all, ToD the least, mostly because the girl was whiny. She sort of spoiled the show for me. Why couldn't she be as tough as the girl from the first movie?

Anyway, agreed, Back to the Future was an awesome series.

I thought both Final Destination movies were good.

How about the Die Hard series? Those were pretty good. I especially liked Die Hard with a Vengeance.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
the second Die Hard was good. The third was terrible. Even Bruce Willis admits as much. I haven't seen the newest one so I can't comment on it.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree there. Poor nerbot, he must be so confused

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree there. Poor nerbot, he must be so confused

No, not confused.......just longing for a real, well scripted, well acted and thoroughly enjoyable addition to a great first movie.

Made for reasons other than just money I suppose. Something really worth watching.

Thanks for your imput peeps.

I think Bruce Willis is great by the way (12 Monkeys was fantastic). I also like the whole tomb/adventure thing from the "Raiders" movies.

Keep em coming.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Well I'm amazed that no one has mentioned Aliens!!
It has to be one of the best sequels ever, let alone an excellent stand alone film.

[edit on 12-9-2007 by Kurokage]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
i enjoyed

cannonball run II
Underworld evolution

[edit on 12-9-2007 by TeslaFan]

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
28 weeks later immediately comes to mind. I think that movie was fantastic. Other than that yea sequels could stand to be a little bit better.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
What about the Rocky sequels?

Would you class Dawn of the Dead as a sequel or a stand alone piece?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Predator II was pretty amazing on its own! I thought it was almost better than the first.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kurokage
It has to be one of the best sequels ever, let alone an excellent stand alone film.

Beat me to it. It was BETTER than the original by far.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
definatly naked gun 2 and 3 and ace ventura 2.
i would say ace ventura two was so muh better than 1

totally agree with lord of the rings

scary movie two was good to but 3 and 4 were totallydifferent movies lik them but not as good

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Men in Black II

And have to agree with Terminator 2

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I thought 28 weeks later was one of the LAMEST sequels I have seen in a long time??? Sorry.

I think people have missed the point of this thread, maybe I wasn't being clear enough.........

Typical everyday Hollywood "churned out" films are rarely good enough to watch and the sequels they produce are just money spinners!

Call me fussy, but when I finish watching a film I like to have the grey matter whirring and buzzing. Thought provoking and inspiring.

Laugh at my UN-shallowness, but most movies (especially hollywood) bore the pants off me.

The recent "30,000 leagues beneath the sea" is one of them. I haven't seen such bad acting and direction for years.

I give up............;

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound

Originally posted by Kurokage

Beat me to it. It was BETTER than the original by far.

That reminds me, Alien vs. Predator. Both the movie AND the game was incredible. At least if you don't like the movie, you've got to try the game. The game was wicked!

reply to post by nerbot

If you're looking to stimulate your mind, then I'd have to agree with you that sequels aren't the best place to look for it.

Wait, I have it. Star Trek: First Contact. The best Star Trek sequel in my opinion.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
May I be so bold as to suggest a few films that are not your ordinary run of the mill stuff...

When the wind blows.
Threads.
Outpost.
Pleasantville.
Rocketman.
Dangerous liaisons.
Farscape, peacekeeper wars.
Hot fuzz
Outsourced.
Andromeda strain (2008 remake)
The Signal.

top topics