It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why 1/5 of Americans Can't Locate The U.S.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Hello all,

Well, I am just another stupid american. I see that every other country has citizens with much larger IQs.

What a bunch of bull this thread is. Are you people for real?

Most of you are bashing America from a beuty pageant poll and contest. Do you really think that a poll from a pageant such as this is statistically legitimate?

But you all see no problem in bashing without even questioning this data? This is unreal.

Here is the conspiracy that you will never notice..... You have been trained to hate America.

Many of your are so fast to jump on this "poll" without any facts. Why? Hate first I guess.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
This is what we get with a government run education system.

It's time to shut down the Department of Education, and totally privatize education. Do it for the children!

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Could it also be that the people are stopped and put on the spot? I know when someone puts me on the spot for anything I have a tendancy to get a little stupid or clutzy about things. But, OMG... the video was really bad tho... the KFC guy had me sitting there with my mouth hanging open going no way... it's in the name! LOL!

K... about the school system... I do agree that something needs to be done. I knew this kid who graduated HS and he couldn't even read. Mind you this is Learning Disabled, but still... they stopped trying with him and just kept on passing him... my fiancee was passed on too. He was in LD as well, but all he needed was a little extra time and he'd get it... he's a very smart man... just takes him longer for things to sink in... his HS diploma is pretty much worth attandnce only. But, at least he was the smart one and stayed in school no matter his problems.(I didn't... but I was also getting harrassed by other kids and the school wasn't doing anything about it... that and I was a bit bored at learning the same thing over and over again. How many times can they drill it into your head that Christopher Columbus discovered America in 1492. I wanted to learn about other things that were out there...)

[edit on 26-8-2007 by MacSen191]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Well, I can certainly located the United States on the map. In fact I can locate perhaps the exact sectional lines and down to the positions of our major radio communication and cellular towers. I have to, or I would nail a support wire and fall to the ground. (not good for my reputation in my line of work_

Being in a "foreign" land right now, and being "American". I am reminded, by this thread, how irrelevant we really are on the grand scheme of things. Every "sovereign" nation in this world has problems and its good points. We all flux throughout history on Education. Who ever has the biggest stick, right? Stop comparing your little insignificant national views. This is ATS right? Then why not see WHY this facts may be even remotely true? Why? They are keeping us ignorant. The major proprietor of this, is I believe national wide heavily dominated Media (I'm looking in your direction FOX). Step ABOVE IT. We are al being trained. To accept it as norm. Why not use the old cliche, think outside the box. Alternative media, not the mainstream right? Sadly, the ignorant will always provail being ignorant. There is almost nothing you can do, but be above it! So, stop this endless stick comparing game.

I am living quite comfortable in my land of ignoramuses. And if you feel you need to bash me for being American, then perhaps we should have some coffee and talk about it. You are welcome to visit me anytime!

I'll leave the light on for you.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by el_presidente

you know what they say"in a land of blind people, the one eyed man is king!"

well hell yeah, in a land of brittney spears and paris hiltons...Im a daggone brrain surgeon!! woohoo!!!

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by PPLwakeUP
Miss Teen South Carolina educates us

That's hysterical! I think she might be Dick Cheney's illegitimate daughter.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Leevi

Ok, well that video his pathetically hilarious. No doubt, many Americans are imbaciles. However, they didn't show you everyone he asked the questions too, obviously. And I would guarantee that you would have the same results from people all over the world. The funniest part of the video was the map. He labeled Australia as Iran and people were too stupid to realize it.

That briton should show ALL of his video footage, not just a selective bit. Obviously britons can be just as biased and stupid as Americans.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Hi M8

Damn you start quite rude
hehe

Don´t bash our friends in the US maybe they just asked those 1/5th that are immigrants

I will not and cannot believe that 1/5 is a real poll.
They problaly just asked 2000 people at a high school or something.
but it´s funny as hell!

nando out!

Oh, pfft. if they asked the 1/5 of immigrants, wouldn't you think they could find the US on a map? They had to find us SOMEHOW...

[edit on 26-8-2007 by TheWalkingFox]

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Because clearly you don't need brains to be a Beauty Queen. So that pertains to them, beauty over brains.

On average (legal) Americans should know where they are, at least the ones who graduated or have a GED, due to testing standards.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 03:46 AM
link   

"Ok. I'm a little bit mixed up over the Palestinians and the Israelis. Which one is throwing the rocks?"

This made me laugh so hard I had to run to the bathroom.

As for these videos...you could go to any country and have people give stupid answers to easy questions. Along the lines with a previous post...Id like to see all the footage they shot.

I'd also like to see a ATS member from the US make one of these.

Ignorance does run rampant in the US. Many of the students that I graduated with got through high school by copying off others. In fact many I graduated with could barely read and could barely write their own name, let alone know the difference between their, there, and they're and know how to use them correctly. (That last bit would make my English teacher cringe if someone used the wrong one.)

So how about it? Make you own "ask americans some questions" video. Any ATS members want to give it a go? I dont have a video camera otherwise I'd do it. It'd be a good project if you have little to do or will be having some free time soon.

[edit on 27/8/07 by Pfeil]

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by PPLwakeUP

LOL, I saw this on ytmnd.com. Props on using it. There are some very informative ytmnds on there that have a lot of meaning behind them.

I agree we do have a problem with our education and South Africa and the Iraq, such as need to improve it.

:cry:

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 04:03 AM
link   
That video was from the Australian comedy show, CNNNN (Chaser NoN-stop News Network). the hosts of CNNNN now host a show called The Chasers War On Everything which is similair. It is a satirical show that sometimes goes to the extreme to make its show funny. Which it very much is. They have admitted that some elements of their show are set up. Although the majority is real as they do alot of street stunts that would be incredibally hard to set-up, or there is no need for a set up.

As for this video i believe that alot of it is real, but maybe twisted a little bit to make them look more dumbed down. After i saw it the first time, I thought some of the answerers must have been given money to to say some of the things. some of the answers are just inexcusable.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Spoodily

Hi

Such as...

BTW here is the video it has been watch already over a million times.
People this is just fun if it were another miss from a different country it would be hilarious too.

Watch as see continues even after the gong.

And the worst is they freaking applauded for her!!

nando out!

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I had to post in this thread because it is the best entertainment I could ask for this Monday morning. I love how some here will take a miss teen pageant and make that the standard for how they perceive the intelligence level for all Americans. Who is enabling ignorance there mates? LOL

Teen beauty pageant as a basis for the IQ of Americans. What an ignorant way to judge a countries people. And what makes it worse is there are Americans here agreeing with the ops bash.

Ill leave you with a stat from 2002 because I couldn’t find an updated list of IQs by country.

www.sq.4mg.com...

Ill take the same path as another poster when they said something about glass houses and stones.

I have lived in many different countries from Germany to Australia, to Canada to England so let’s talk about a subject near and dear to most Americans hygiene, like personal hygiene. Do they sell tooth brushes outside of the states, Soap, shampoo etc..... I had to wonder myself after the BO trail in most countries I have been to outside of the states........

Oh..... I guess I shouldn’t judge another countries people from the few I had to smell.

LOL

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   
What a classic!

I remember seeing a clip long ago, with a reporter walking down a street in NYC with a map of the world, asking people where North Korea was. Most of the people pointed to Australia.

No WMD here folks!

"everywhere like such as" - love it!!

[edit on 27-8-2007 by SmokeyJo]

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Hi

Such as...

BTW here is the video it has been watch already over a million times.
People this is just fun if it were another miss from a different country it would be hilarious too.

Even Mario Lopez was cracking up. Why can't he take a stance and just thwack her over the head? Tell her what a bumbling bafoon she is. Tell her how she shouldn't be allowed to procreate.

I'm not trying to be ignorant here by suggesting cruelty, rather trying to wake the ignorant up so they can smell the coffee... or as they would say, a "triple venti dry nonfat machhiatto with 2 equals." Starbucks for star schmucks.

[edit on 8/27/2007 by pjslug]

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Not all of us Americans are stupid. I, for example , am smart enough to realize that that beauty contestant was not a great public speaker.......but she sure was SMOKING HOT.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I'm not even from America and probably know more about America than most Americans. There was a game show...*can't remember the name of it* that asked questions such as..."How many states do we have in America?"...to Americans...& most of the people had no clue. I'm Trinidadian(Born & raised...still living here actually) & I knew that and then some. It's rediculous! And I truly believe it's not America that's stupid, I've noticed this about the entire world!

Oh, and also, the answer that blondie gave is degrading to human kind everywhere.

[edit on 27-8-2007 by sdrawkcab]

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
uhg. more "freedom haters."

I'll be the first to tell people that there are many people in the US that are ignorant of the rest of the world, geographically and politically. As for the people who boast about America being the "Best" at anything ... that's just human nature. People from Brazil claim they have the best soccer team. People from Amsterdam – the best marijuana. People from Germany – the best beer. Anyone who boast is just trying to fullfill the empty feeling and self loathing that resided deep in their heart.

Please don't single out the population as a whole just because you met a few arrogant Americans. There are plenty of us who'd rather look at the earth as a whole and a person as a human being rather than an American, a Canadia, a German, or an Austrailian. Sure, Americans can be arrogant and stupid, but so can Britians, Indians, Russians, Japanese and Africans.

Get over yourselves.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by eyewitness86

Great post eyewitness

I think you hit the nail right on the head. I happen to agree with you about the blind patriotism...no room for anyone/anything else.

Res

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join