It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why 1/5 of Americans Can't Locate The U.S.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Hi

I just have to share this with you ATS.
This is why I love beauty pageants.

Miss Teen South Carolina educates us

helptheiraq.ytmnd.com...

I don't think a beauty pageant is the best place to find commentary on education in America, but it certainly is the funniest. She has no idea what she's talking about

Nando out!

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
1/5 of Americans cant find the US on the map is cause they are stupid and retarded and don't care about real important issues...

Instead they care who wins the superbowl, or some beauty pageant.. as this points out..

How many of that group of Americans took this persons word as truth do you think??

Probably the same amount of people who believe that Iraq was busted for WMD's or helped Al Qaeda with 9/11 or killed santa or whatever...

[edit on 8/25/2007 by ThichHeaded]

[edit on 8/25/2007 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Hi M8

Damn you start quite rude
hehe

Don´t bash our friends in the US maybe they just asked those 1/5th that are immigrants

I will not and cannot believe that 1/5 is a real poll.
They problaly just asked 2000 people at a high school or something.
but it´s funny as hell!

nando out!

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I am from the states, I cant comprehend how stupid people can be... Altho I guess it takes a lot of skill to watch a football game or some blonde chick walk down an isle.. or watch TV to see who is our enemy...

Here I will show u something..

Posted here.. I was going to mention something in this post.. But I thought it would be mean and rude.. Altho... I make a lot of sense...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here are some stats for ya..

67% of people who watch fox believe Iraq had something to do with Al Qaeda.

33% believe they found WMD's in Iraq.

You tell me..... You sure that 1/5 is remotely accept as being half ass smart.. I say no... How about a tad bit smart.. Probably not...

My statement stands.

BTW, I live 40 mins from where Flight 93 crashed...

See those 1/5 of people wouldn't even know answer to my riddle above..

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Well, if you asked everyone over 14 in the U.S. it probably would'nt be 1/5,
but it probably would be at least 1/10.

Heck I know a girl that could'nt point out China on a map.

The real problem is, well there is'nt a single thing that is causing this, it's a bunch of
things together that have caused the level of stupidity to rise like this.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I think you are wrong... I asked my kid who is 8 yrs old..

these questions:

Where is the United States?
Where is China?
Where is Canada?
Where is Russia?

Using this map.
web.mit.edu...

He was able to get 3 out of 4 right.. he couldn't answer Russia.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Hi m8

Offcourse he has a smart father that checks ATS
and isn´t ignorant!
I was just defending all ATS from the US that might feel attacked.. and it was a bit of a joke about teh immigrants

nando out!

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Hi

It´s all because of that new race of human that pay more attention to media like Fox etc and not to their teachers or don´t read books you know that old boring stuff

Sometimes you´d wished TV was never invented.

Nando out!

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I forgot to mention

I call those people the MSN emoticon generation.

I saw on the news that parents had new discipline punishments compared to 10/15 years ago
Tthat most teenagers get totally freaked if theyre parents punishes them by taking theyre mobile phone/SMS and internet away.
Most of them said that there wasn´t anything else in the world to do without those.

Nando

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
[sarcasm on]
Oh my.. That girl is so right!! As kids we grew up without maps, and many of my friends where also mapless. Needless to say we walk around lost all day long!! And couldnt find America on a map!

We need to get those maps out to kids everywhere so this doesnt happen to anymore of our children!!
[sarcasm off]

Really I had to laugh at that.. She is the reason 1/5 cant find America on a map..

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
this is what keeps me up at night,knowing the stupidity that now runs ramped on our U.S. soil!! bet shes a FOX fan.

[edit on 25-8-2007 by KINGOFPAIN]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I think many of the smarter people in the US would be dumbfounded if they realised how much people in the US dont know. Im taking a Anthropology class where we were assisgned a country and we have to do a report about that country. (I wont go into details.) But the teacher was assigning countries and around half the people in the class (About 20 out of 35) didnt know where their country was located. The teacher ended up turning a computer on and had to point out all of their countries. I had her in a class before and she was showing a couple of the students, including me, some papers that others had done on mapping the world. There were people who had put Egypt as the name of the United States and people who had put The United States over Europe. (Amongst many other odd wrong answers) This is quite mind boggling to me. I am not the smartest person in the world but I cant even begin to comprehend how people can function on such a low level.

I was one of the lucky ones. I realised that my teachers didnt know much/anything about what was being taught. I had a high school class ... it was a business class...where the teacher handed out coloring book (like for little kids, the ones with bears and rainbows) and we were to color them for grades. Most of the classes Ive had to take I wasnt taught anything. I, for the most part, am self taught. I have read so many books, im surprised that barnes and noble hasnt given me some kind of VIP status. I love coming to this site, so much to absorb, so many different topics.

I hope my level of comprehending reality gets me into a good position in the new world disorder.

[edit on 25/8/07 by Pfeil]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I find that hard to believe.

I do however, believe that the average American knows nothing about the rest of the world.

Why ?

Because the rest of the world does not matter. Every American I have ever met (and I have met lots in my line of work) is usually so full of crap and goes on an on about how good they are at this and that and how great their country is.

I heard an American say once that Australia was next door to Germany!

Ethnocentric Ignoramus

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Not another bash the USA thread ??? ok I'll add my 2 cents worth...the USA has nearly 300 million people and it would be safe to assume most of that 300 million have reached at least 3rd year of High School and unfortunately stayed at that level of education their whole life.

This does not detract from the Geniuses and Brilliant people it has produced like Hilton, Lohan, Spears and people of that ilk. The fact remains that the average joe blow citizen of "any" country could barely breath and tie their sho lace at the same time.

USA doesn't have exclusivity on morons as I have personally dealt with dumb people from Italy, UK, France, SA, Canada and India and other un mentioned countries. Unfortunately the USA is in the spotlight for ridicule due to it's self claim of being the most advanced, educated and perfect Country.

[edit on 26-8-2007 by mazzroth]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I couldn't tell you where it is. No one could either.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by jwater88
I couldn't tell you where it is. No one could either.

Surely you jest?

Most people can point out the U.S. and more.

Heck I can locate most countries on a globe/map.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Americans are NOT stupid

[edit on 26-8-2007 by Leevi]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Ahh, I love Bash America threads.

edit: Why is the above video subtitled? Cant you people understand our accents?
They did the same thing with Mad Max, except they actually dubbed in 'Genuine American Accents.'

I'll let my signature do my talking for me.

[edit on 26/8/2007 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Oh, good heavens, not another bash America thread..
The people in that last video don't exactly give a fair picture of the level of intelligence that most people in the US have, and maybe it's just me but it seems most beauty pageant queens aren't the best examples either. Something about all the make-up and skimpy clothes kills their brain cells I think... Just knowing that anyone who lives here can't find our country on a map blows my mind.

I'm not saying Americans are the smartest, or best, at anything, but we aren't the dumbest country either. There are idiots in every country, it's just that most of them are smart enough not to be filmed making stupid comments. Here we go out of our way to find these people, tape them, and show everyone else because it's funny. That doesn't mean all of us are that ignorant.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by PPLwakeUP
Hi M8

Damn you start quite rude
hehe

Don´t bash our friends in the US maybe they just asked those 1/5th that are immigrants

I will not and cannot believe that 1/5 is a real poll.
They problaly just asked 2000 people at a high school or something.
but it´s funny as hell!

nando out!

umm i think you may find that the immigrants would probably have a better idea where America is located because they would have had to make a deliberate choice in moving there (i have absolutely no idea why anyone would make that choice...).

also the fact that america has an average estimated iq of 98 may have something to do with the issue.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join