It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll Option For Members

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I've been to a few other forums and some have a wonderful feature that allows their members to post polls in their threads. Generally the poll question is displayed at the top of the thread and has something to do with the thread topic. Once a member has voted the vote cannot be changed and is recorded in the results. The results display the number of votes for each option and the overall percentage. Members can choose how long they want the poll to run before the results are frozen, option range form one day to indefinitely. Members can also choose the answer options and how many they want, the options/result are displayed below the question. The answer options may range from yes, no, maybe to more specific choices. And a thread that has a poll running would have a little tag (or something) indicating such in the title (likewise if the poll is closed).

This would be a great way of allowing all ATS members to express their views on a given subject by voting in the thread related poll. It would be a good and quick way of seeing the opinion of members by looking at the results. Naturally such an option has to be regulated. I propose that the question has to be significantly related to the thread topic. And of course, as always, the T&C apply. Any question or answer option deemed "inappropriate" would be taken down and the Staff would handle the case accordingly.

I think such an option would be great if it could allow visitors to vote but this increases the risk of "spamming" and other malicious practices.

Overall I see no real down side, apart from more code work for SO and the server, data issue which it might create... Rememebr the "my subscribed threads" fiasco?

So what do you guys think, is it a good idea and a feasible one?

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Well, the problem that ATS is going to quickly encounter is overcrowding. While the site looks good now, too many more additional features being added is going to run the risk of the site becoming over crowded.

[edit on 24-8-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   
What do you mean by "overcrowding"? Visual wise or server capacity wise? In any case I did ask if it was feasible...

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
What do you mean by "overcrowding"? Visual wise or server capacity wise? In any case I did ask if it was feasible...

Visually, it is at risk of becoming over crowded. I am sure it's "feasible." The question is, is whether it is preferrable visually.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Never thought about "visual crowding" to be honest, I have to say though two lines of screen does not seem like a lot in the empty space above a thread title. I for one would gladly trade it away for a poll option. Besides, it's optional, if you don't want your visual space "overcrowded" don't post a poll. It would only be visible in the authors post (before you scroll) anyway...

[edit on 24-8-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The only thing I don't like about polls, is that they are non-conclusive. Poll's only show what the majority of the members on the forum think, and it really add's nothing to a debate.

Obviously if you make a poll about Chevy's being better than Ford's on a Ford forum, then your going to have a bad poll.

If they do integrate a "poll" I hope they call it the "opinion poll".

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Polls have been suggested many times,including myself.It would be an interesting way to get the pulse of a certain topic from ATS users,no?

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xfile
Polls have been suggested many times,including myself.It would be an interesting way to get the pulse of a certain topic from ATS users,no?

True, I don't know how many times it's been put forth. Admin answer was "no polls". Sorry.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
the only problem with a poll is the people who want them know there right,
and the people who don't want them know there wrong

[edit on 24/8/2007 by Sauron]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Admin answer was "no polls". Sorry.

I really was not aware of this, might I ask why?

True polls such are this are not mean to be scientific, just a way to gauge member opinion about a specific topic or question...

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   
we've had polls before, back in 2004 when I first joined up.

They were taken away because it was abused I think. The most popular poll was;

"is [insert name] gay"

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
we've had polls before, back in 2004 when I first joined up.

They were taken away because it was abused I think. The most popular poll was;

"is [insert name] gay"

Maybe in that case, Mod's could initiate a poll on "hot topics", if members cannot be trusted.

But, it's no different I should imagine than someone starting a thread titled "is >someone< Gay?". Those threads would be trashed by the Mods, so a poll could suffer the same fate.

Either way, it's a feature I would like to see..

Maybe we should have a poll?

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Maybe not grant poll option to everyone, but at the least I'd like to see more polls done by the admin guys. Kind of like the 9/11 poll that was done, I'd love to see more of those.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Here are a few problems with the idea. Polls can alienate people. They're irrelevant if a topic is already being discussed by people who think for themselves. It's a mere curiosity what the membership's opinion or preference is. Polls, lacking nuance, are superficial. Ideas, opinions, and observations by people interested and versed in a topic are much more compelling than random votes at large.

You could always say, "Well don't participate." But they would impose on the unwilling. I don't want to see threads about polls, fights over polls, what polls there should be, why wasn't such and such offered as a choice in a poll, references to polls on unrelated threads, on and on and on. You know how it would play out here.

I think staff has thought this through and reached the right conclusion--no polls.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Yes I'm aware of the downsides however it is interesting that on the other forum which I visit none of these problems show themselves, and they do offer a poll option. Perhaps it has to do with the general occupation and age of most of the members that post there... Anyway, I's like to think that such a thing could be manageable and orderly so I have my doubts about the "official" reason given...

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Anyway, I's like to think that such a thing could be manageable and orderly so I have my doubts about the "official" reason given...

Do I smell a conspiracy?

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Do I smell a conspiracy?

This is Above Top Secret, is it not? The site that features "conspiracy related discusion about a wide range of topics"...

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
EDIT: Double Post...

[edit on 26-8-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   

This is Above Top Secret, is it not? The site that features "conspiracy related discusion about a wide range of topics"...

So, the Three Amigos's could be running a false flag op here... Pretend to encourage conspiracy discussion whilst performing a cover-up of their own...

Intriguing.....

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
No polls....please.

How long before a succession of idiots start posting "Am I hawt?" threads with crappy choices...

No no no no noooooooo

The lack of polls on ATS is one of its unique selling points to me, that and the way things are run.

ATS may be an asylum but the lunatics ain't running it, fortunately

new topics

top topics

join