It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Aircraft over New Mexico

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I wonder what kind of Aircraft this is? It was definitely heading for Area 51.

Steve Douglass, a "military radio" hobbyist in Amarillo, Texas, monitored a curious exchange on the morning of Jan. 7. An unidentified aircraft calling itself "Lockheed Test 2334" told FAA controllers in Albuquerque, N.M., that it was "going supersonic somewhere above Flight Level 60 [60,000 feet]"
According to Douglass, the FAA controllers questioned the aircraft. "Say what aircraft type," requested the controller.

"We are a classified type and can't reveal our true altitude," responded the pilot.

A few minutes later the same pilot requested permission to descend to 30,000 feet and a flight path to "Las Vegas with final destination somewhere in the Nellis Range."

"Trip home a bit slower, eh?" asked the FAA controller. To which the mystery aircraft did not respond.

Click Here for Article

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   
This is believable...

There's some extremely fast stuff out there -
Although generally they won't say that they are a classified aircraft.

It is widely suspected that one of the reasons that SR-71's were reactivated was so that classified high-flying, fast movers could ID themselves as a Blackbird and no one would inquire further...

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
This is believable...

It is widely suspected that one of the reasons that SR-71's were reactivated was so that classified high-flying, fast movers could ID themselves as a Blackbird and no one would inquire further...

Yeah, I thought it odd that they'd admit being a classified aircraft to civilian air traffic controllers, as well.

I hadn't really thought about the Blackbird connection though. I'd known they were re-activated after Desert Storm, but the reasoning does make sense. Learn something everyday, I guess.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
All I know is the quickest way to draw attention to yourself is to proclaim that your destination or intent is 'classified' - especially to the people controlling the space!

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
This is believable...

I was on top of a 700 foot tower in Georgia in 1997, and as I looked over my shoulder I saw it coming, a big black SR - 71 that was flying less than 1000 feet- it was a trip...they flew just off to the side of me and as they came by I saluted them from the tower top, and they tipped a wing in response. I was curious, as I was not aware till now that they were reactivated. The sound of the thrust from that aircraft is one I will never forget-

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Regarding classified aircraft such as this, etc., I actually posted the following in another thread but thought it could be appropriate here.

A Little Anecdote Concerning such things:

A co-worker of mine was doing some installs on a Destroyer sitting in Chespeake Bay a few years ago. There was a training session going on in the radar room and at the time this ship had the 48Echo radar system, (it has since been upgraded).
The officer in charge of the training session was away from the screen when one of the guys at the screen said something about, "here's something coming out of Langley...". My "fly on the wall" friend was in close enough proximity to see the screen also - as the trainees were discussing the information coming out on the info screen positioned above the radar screen and commenting on it being a military aircraft, possibly stealth because of the lack of information available on the screen, and how you can tell and all that... typical trainee conversation.

Once the plane was out over the Atlantic, two or three of the guys at the screen said something like, "What th' F@#k is that!?" Everyone was pointing at the screen and the speed tail on the triangle that indicates an aircraft. The speed tail kept getting longer and longer and at one point one of the guys exclaimed "That's over Mach 4! What th' hell is that?"
Another trainee said something like, "It's getting faster! Look at that motherf@#er go!"
About that time the training officer came over, looked at the screen, stepped over to the wall and hit the big red button that has the instructions over it that say, "Do not Push!"... suddenly all gear in the room went dark, computers, everything.

The training officer then announced, "Gentlemen, you are to forget what you saw here tonight... is that understood?" There was a chorus of "aye aye" and after the officer made a phone call they powered everything back up.

Disclaimer: As I said, a co-worker who is also a close friend related this story to me and he has always been a pretty straight-shooting guy and not prone to tell exagerated tales - so I believed him and would not relay this story to you if I considered him unreliable.

Additional thoughts on this:

It's my understanding that this aircraft never said a word on the radio that these guys heard, it came out of Langley rather mild-mannered but once it got over the Atlantic it lit it's candle and took off like the proverbial bat out of hell.
My friend also told me what altitude it was at before the scope was turned off, but I forget the number (it was pretty high) and since I'm trying to be as factual as possible I won't taint this story with a guess.

The fact is there are really some very fast classified planes operational at this time.
I understand skepticism but it's also naive to think that the SR-71, a 40+ year old airframe is the "latest, greatest and fastest"...

I have acquaintances who have seen data from returned avionics that they said made them very nervous when they saw the numbers - as there is nothing in known inventory that can go that high and that fast or tolerate that much heat. Again, I have no numbers - they would not share, which I consider a credit to their credibility.

I honestly think there is enough circumstantial evidence, eyewitnesses to actual craft, data, etc that if there was a court of law and the public was tasked with proving (legally not scientifically) the existence of near-hypersonic or hypersonic vehicles coming out of certain US military bases - it would be an open and shut case FOR the existence of said aircraft.

Skeptics, flame away... I'm wearing my nomex

[Edited on 16-1-2004 by intelgurl]

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Intelgurl,

Do you happen to have any clue where the development of these new aircrafts may take place? If so what are the Companies that design the aircraft for the Government?

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Isnt there always a mistery aircraft over Los Alamos, Area 51, The Proving Grounds ect?

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
the companies that design them are the typical ones, mainly Lockheed Martin and Boeing

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
Intelgurl,

Do you happen to have any clue where the development of these new aircrafts may take place? If so what are the Companies that design the aircraft for the Government?

Lockheed, Northrop-Grumman and to a lesser extent Boeing...
Where are they built??
I haven't a clue...

Probably, and I'm guessing...
some facility, possibly a secluded location but not necessarily, around Edwards or Nellis.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I've heard stories of F-104's in the middle sixties melting wingtips after 're-entering' after a high altitude intercept. It also should be considered that, in general, aircraft maximum speeds have been 'fixed' at Mach 2 since that time also. I am not sure, but I don't think that Mach 2 is as much a physical limit as Mach 1 is.

I vaguely recall that the F-15 can out accelerate some launch vehicles up to a certain altitude. Another point is that when the US was testing ASAT weapons that the launch aircraft (F-14,F-15) would have to get very high, very fast to hit the aim point. I'm sure coming down would also be as much of a rush.

The upshot is, pun intended, is that military aircraft have been going faster than Mach 2 for decades, it is just not disclosed.

An analog is the fact that the SSC says that Low Earth Object element sets are not classified - they just aren't distributed!

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
it proubly was this motherfocker arura? (sorry its so small i couldnt upload the bigger pics)

most of the peaple here know about it, we think its the arura right? could it be somthing els??

PS:also the blackbird can go over mach4, a pilot hitted to that when he was outrunning a surfec to air missle over the first golf war
[Edited on 16-1-2004 by Dmsoldier]

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Didnt the US loose the Arura over Red Airspace or something? Im curious, if they flew it above there, whats with super powers and showing off weapons? Its like measuring each other to see whos bigger.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dmsoldier
it proubly was this @#!# arura? (sorry its so small i couldnt upload the bigger pics)

most of the peaple here know about it, we think its the arura right? could it be somthing els??

That particular contrail is not the typical "doghnuts on a rope" Pulse Detonation type propulsion reportedly on the vehicle known to us as the Aurora.
It could certainly be a high flying fastmover but perhaps not that particular vehicle.

Regarding "could it be something else?" I think most certainly it could... what it could be I would not presume to know though.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taxman
Didnt the US loose the Arura over Red Airspace or something? Im curious, if they flew it above there, whats with super powers and showing off weapons? Its like measuring each other to see whos bigger.

The US lost a U2 spyplane over the USSR many years ago... not an Aurora~

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
My uncle was a U2 mechanic, I hope it wasn't his bird.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by blythe

I vaguely recall that the F-15 can out accelerate some launch vehicles up to a certain altitude. Another point is that when the US was testing ASAT weapons that the launch aircraft (F-14,F-15) would have to get very high, very fast to hit the aim point. I'm sure coming down would also be as much of a rush.

Yes, you are right about the F-15's altitude when delivering the ASAT.
A few details on that:

On September 13, 1985, an F-15A "Streak Eagle" launched a Vought ASM-135 ASAT (3 stage air-to-space anti-satellite missile) against a retired communications satellite in a 555 km (345 mile) orbit.
The satellite was 6.8 ft in diameter, weighed 1,874-pounds and was known as a P78-1. The ASAT destroyed the satellite, hitting it within 6 inches of the aim point.

Additionally, F-15A Streak Eagles broke eight "time to climb" records between January 16 and February 1, 1975. The last of these records saw the Streak Eagle reach 98,425 feet just 3 minutes 27.8 seconds after brake release on the runway. Furthermore, it �coasted� after the engines went out to 103,000 feet or nearly another mile (straight up) before descending.

That had to be a wild ride... I'm sure I would have left my breakfast in the helmet after that flight...

Here's the link to additional information on Streak Eagles at Wright Patterson AFB's web site:

www.wpafb.af.mil...

also, Boeing's web site on the Streak Eagle:

www.boeing.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by dangermouse
My uncle was a U2 mechanic, I hope it wasn't his bird.

My uncle was the pilot of said U2. That day he was ordered to "stand down" and backup Gary Powers took his place.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
ZeddicusZulZorander

can you ask your unk what the real* top speed of the thing is?

im glad they reinstated the beast, but im sure they should maybe retired the real beatup ones and make replacements if they could?

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dmsoldier
ZeddicusZulZorander

can you ask your unk what the real* top speed of the thing is?

im glad they reinstated the beast, but im sure they should maybe retired the real beatup ones and make replacements if they could?

Wish I could, he is dead. He flew them in the 50's.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join