It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lunar question...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   
The moon always has the same side facing the Earth due to the way it orbits Earth. The dark side of the moon is never seen, and is in total darkness because no sunlight reaches there. Am I correct?
If this is true...what exactly does this photograph show?
Can someone tell me why is there any light at all in this photo?

www.solarviews.com...

This is a quote from the page this image was taken from.

This image was taken by Apollo 11 astronauts in 1969. It shows a portion of the Moon's heavily cratered far side. The large crater is approximately 80 km ( 50 miles ) in diameter. The rugged terrain seen here is typical of the farside of the Moon.

[Edited on 1-16-2004 by darklanser]

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Well, in a lunar eclipse, the sun is behind the moon isn't it? (thus lighting up that side)
The idea that it is never lit is false....just can't be seen by those on Earth just as a man behind a hedge can't be seen by those in front of the hedge, even if he is brightly lit....

[Edited on 16-1-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Yeah dark side is a misnomer. The far side gets lit just as much as the near.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   
The moon is usually lit on the farside by the sun. This occurs from 1st quarter, and then the last quarter and new moon...then right back to the 1st quarter stage. We cannot see the moon during new moon, for it is close to the sun, and the blue tinit of the atmosphere blocks the view. The light that we see on the moon is from the sun; but sometimes we see Earthshine. To sum up, when we have a full moon on our side, the far side is having a new moon, when our side has a new moon, the far side is having a full moon, etc., etc. I hope that this answers your question.

top topics

join