It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Face Of Mars In 1958 Comic Book!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Renshin
It speaks for itself.
It almost seems as an outcry from someone who had top secret clearance, learned something, then wanted, no needed to get it out into the public! Its almost like a warning...

You know, the idea that the asteroid belt might have been a planet wasn't invented by ufologists. And it'd make great science fiction.

I mean, isn't it just as likely the ufologists got the idea from the comic book, and not the other way around?

Any way of getting the image hosted back up?

[edit on 8-12-2007 by Esoterica]

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by tombangelta
the face of mars is bandwidth exceeded, i knew it all along.

can you fix the image and also the link so us late comers have some clue as to what you are talking about.

Darn! It seems there were so many hits on that site that it's exceeded bandwidth limits!! So probably you may have to wait some to enter that site.

Anyway, I had managed to get the cover of the comic book which I had uploaded to photo bucket earlier. So here it is....

“The Face On Mars”, penciled by Jack Kirby and inked by Al Williamson. – On an expedition from the Earth’s moon to the planet Mars, an international team of astronauts – led by American Ben Fisher – discover a huge carving of a Martian face – that’s as big as a mountain! Ascending to the inscrutable statue’s hollow eyes, Fisher plunges inside, where he finds a green, sunlit countryside with cool, rich and breathable air, one which shelters a civilization of “magnificent giants”.

Fisher explains that the statue contains “a visual history of a race’s heroic death – and the triumph of a surviving memory”. Later, as they pilot their rocket to Jupiter, to Earth, Fisher and his team take careful notice of the debris-strewn asteroid belt – “the pieces of a planet that blew up between Mars and Jupiter”.

(Scroll down toward the bottom of the link provided here...)
www.comicbookresources.com...

Cheers!

[edit on 12-8-2007 by mikesingh]

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Oh wow... that's totally anticlimatic

First of all, the face is oriented wrong. And besides the fact that it's a face, it doesn't really look like the more famous one (which doesn't even look like a face at all nowadays). And it's not...red.

Yeah, I'm not really feeling it at all, but who knows. Cool find though.

[edit on 8-12-2007 by Esoterica]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Very intriguing comic. It looks like I'm going to have to go find this one. I'm betting that I'll not have very good luck huh?

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Imagination sometimes taps into other worlds and times (future). Science-Fiction or Comic-Book writers to channel information. I find this more likely than the idea that the comic-book-writers are part of some cover-up.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
But imagination has to be based on something known, which may even be in the far recesses of one's brain. In the subconscious. It needs to be there. It's not possible to imagine something out of the blue.

So the question is, of all the things, why a face on Mars?

[edit on 13-8-2007 by mikesingh]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
well, imagination either tapped into whats happening on mars or what will happen in the future or what is happening in hoaglands mind.

Science-Fiction has predicted an amazing amount of things. Actually, everything that has ever happened was first predicted/created in fiction.

An alternative theory is that secret intelligence agencies leak their knowledge through fiction first.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Because the art work is oriented wrong doesn't take away from the compelling idea the artists and writers had. If this idea of a face on Mars is embedded in the psychology or genetic memories of some persons then it's possible that the conscious mind misinterpreted some of the information. In 1958 a face on Mars would have been a radical idea, so whomever came up with the idea could have awakened from a dream up with a start and starting writing the story as quickly as possible. There was nothing to compare the idea with, so it's entirely plausible that an artist or writer would hink that all it was was an idea and not a deep seated memory or archetype of the subconscious.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh
So the question is, of all the things, why a face on Mars?

Statues with faces are pretty common in every culture

Maybe he got inspiration from the Easter Islands? You said it yourself, imagination is often based on something.
Or what about the Aztec/Mayan/etc type faces? The comic book picture bear strong resemblance of that. Here's an Olmec head: www.traveljournals.net...

[edit on 13-8-2007 by merka]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by merka
Statues with faces are pretty common in every culture

Maybe he got inspiration from the Easter Islands? Or what about the Aztec/Mayan/etc type faces?

Hmmm... That's possible. But maybe the inspiration could also have came from an event that had taken place on Mars? Like I said earlier, some contend that we were already there in the late 50s! So could it be something to do with a base on Mars near or in the face, that he had known of? Now I agree that's all conjecture until proved.

But heck! Do we know ALL that's happening? No! Probably never will. So all we can do at this stage is to cling to straws, like this one!

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f0dc7a91dc2c.jpg[/atsimg]

same pic - bit better resolution to see the words.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

Jack Kirby !!
I remember him.
In the 1960's, he did artwork for Marvel Comics.
Some of the superhero's he drew were Thor and Captain America.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Lacenaire]

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Lacenaire]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh
Coincidence? Or is it something more?
[edit]
According to some, we were already on Mars in the late fifties!! Remember Alternative 3? So was this comic book inspired from a discovery made then?

Thought I'd post it here as it seems pretty intriguing to say the least!

Cheers!

Coincidence? Something more? You gotta be kidding. As usual, it's all in your mind! like your lunar "anomalies" that you have to colorize otherwise nothing can be seen in your blurry and/or overpixelated blowups. You forget, the horse came before the cart! In 1958 all we could do was look at Mars through a telescope and nothing could be discerned.

According to some? To who? How about posting who you mean by "some"? We need a source.

The comic book cover is on another thread.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Good find...but, no need to tell Hoagland, he already knows. In fact, a couple of years ago, he did an article on an old "ViewMaster" series about going to Mars and not only finding a face, but pyramids and monuments.
Maybe the ViewMaster series was inspired by the comic, don't know, and not important enough to go and dig through his archives...but I definitely read and saw it. Pretty amazing stuff.
Look at enterprisemission.com
Does anybodyhere remember ViewMaster or am I just that old?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I can't really speculate too much on the coincidence of this comic's title. However, I can say that Jack Kirby pencils and Al Williamson inks sounds like a winning combination to me, even though, as memory serves, Williamson did a wonderful job on his own. I believe he did a lot of work for those classic "Weird Science Fantasy" type comics published by EC before the creation of the Comics Code Authority. His art resembled the original artwork on Flash Gordon and is of a quality not seen anymore.

Jack Kirby, of course, worked with Marvel and drew mountains of classic material, Kirby is "The King" of old school comics.

EDIT: I was thinking about it and I realized that The Martian Chronicles, by Bradbury, was published about 1950. Many of the chapters deal with the archived history of the lost Martian race and I believe at least one dealt with the Martian's use of masks for various purposes. I suppose the combination of some of these ideas mixed with the concept of a giant Martian mask could lead to this story's premise.

Just a thought.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Shadowflux]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Does anyone want to calculate the odds of coincidence?

This is just further evidence that humans have incredible extra-sensory perception abilities and that Jung was right; there is a collective unconscious.

Incredible.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
It doesn't surprise me!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
This is like Titanic...but on Mars...hm..very, very interesting !

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
so who got all napoleon happy and destroyed the features on the mars monument?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

Yes, i have scans of this comic myself.

The story also goes on to include pyramids (!), dome covered structure, and a pyramidal teleportation device (a stargate)

It also tells of a planetary war that had decimated the Mars population and all but destroyed their world.

In 1958..!

The 'face' was not photographed until the 1970's, and wasn't in the public domain until years after that! (R. Hoagland 'discovered' the face among the Viking images)

Striking parallels with what is being said about the ruins on Mars today.

Prophetic even.

<< 1    3 >>

join