It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI drug standard lowered for hiring

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   

FBI drug standard lowered for hiring

www.usatoday.com

"WASHINGTON — Aspiring FBI agents who once dabbled in marijuana use won't be barred from getting a job with the elite crime-fighting agency, which has loosened its drug policy amid a campaign to hire hundreds of agents.

"It encourages honesty and allows us to look at the whole person," Berkin said of the revised policy. He said it was too early to tell whether the new standard has encouraged an increasing number of applicants as the FBI attempts to hire 221 agents and 121 intelligence analyst
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.policeone.com

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Why would they be lowering their standards?

When they would put people on the lie detector test and asked if they have did drugs more than 15 times some would fail just because they didn't remember. Does it matter if they did it 15 times, or 17 times? Should they just go on the person's word alone?

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/8/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I think this is a good move especially considering A LOT of people at one point or another have used one drug or another.

Hats off to the FBI.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
He possibly did marijuana when he was younger, lock this man up... Thats sick

lie detectors are bunk, IMO... "have you done drugs?" If someone asked me that, I would get nerves probably thinking stupid things like "OMG, mom gave me medicine, maybe she gave me too much and I'm a criminal.

"Do you do any illegal drugs now?" That is more a valid question. Who hasn't smoked a joint or two, maybe 15
How is someone suppose to remember how many times they have done drugs, they were high.

This is what is wrong with marijuana laws and laws alike, kids try stuff and they shouldest be arrested for it. especially one not harming anyone or them self.

The more I hear "Don't use marijuana, you will grow breasts, drop out, become a heroin addicted, lose your testicles, die, kill everyone, become a terrorist, undermine national security and become a communist."
The more I want to rebel just because I know its all BS.
SORRY, for going off topic(kinda)

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Over 50 MILLION Americans have used cannabis, among other illegal substances. If the federal Govt. tried to keep only the few oddballs that have never done anything 'wrong' in their lives, they would have very few to pick from.

Imagine that the FBI posts for employees, and expecting a crowd of two hundred applicants, they get 10 !! They need thousands of people to apply to get the few they select, and with the MAJORITY of the population not total goodie two shoes types they will have a hrd time filling the shoes they want pounding the streets hiding evidence and perjuring themselves aned violating rights.

Don't you get it? If the FBI wanted all strict moral types and people afraid to try new things, they would end up with automatons and sheep and not leaders and thinkers. Also, a strict moraist might not go along with Bureau abuses and denial of civil rights and spying illegaly on us, etc. they want agents with lose morals insofar as rights go, but big on holier than thou upright records.

So what oif a person used drugs? So what? only 2 % ( two Percent ) of the people ever have ' drug problems' and that has held true for centuries. the other 98% have no trouble with substance use and only the laws make it an issue. The laws are there for corporate greed and nothing else, and so drug laws are enforced to support corporate greed.

Same old stuff; better to have FBI agents that were at least cool at one point in their lives, lets just hope they are not hippocrites enough to bust soneone else for what they do, or did. yeah, sure!!

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I just made a post on another thread that I feel may have some relevance here. You may want to check it out.

...I recently read the book "The Secret" and it discusses a "universal knowledge" and the "law of attraction". It explains that people need to teach themselves to connect with these powers in order to achieve what they want out of life and for those who master the techniques, they truly have their own "genie in a bottle" because they actually can make all good things happen.

I honestly think that MJ actually helps people to connect to that "universal knowledge" and the more people that realize this and begin to use it the right way, the more power they will have over the controlling government.

...Since the government is already aware of this, they would know it's in their best interest to keep it illegal.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The same thing has occured with the CIA as well, check out their site. The job descriptions, state that use over one year is waiverable. Not in those exact words, but that is the general meaning.

Seems our gov is hard up for bodies. Too bad they have such a crappy rep, they would be able to actract decent people.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I guess that is a step in the right direction, maybe the next step will be for them to support California's legalization of marijuana for medical use. Although, I am sure that the agent they hired used marijuana for recreational purposes. I have to be honest...I have mixed feelings about this and am not sure why.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
The same thing has occured with the CIA as well, check out their site. The job descriptions, state that use over one year is waiverable. Not in those exact words, but that is the general meaning.

Seems our gov is hard up for bodies. Too bad they have such a crappy rep, they would be able to actract decent people.

maybe we should all quit our day jobs and apply with the government? if we banded together we could initialize some changes, or am I being naive?

new topics

top topics

join