It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Booting Up Problem/FSC Failure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Lately i have been having trouble starting my computer up. I switch my computer off at night when i go to bed as it is too loud and I can't fall asleep. Once i have turned it off though i used to hear this high pitched like whining sound. Then i found that it was coming from the computer and the only way to get rid of it was to pull the power cord out from the back of the computer.
Anyway whenever i start up my computer lately it just wont load anything. The screen is just blank. Only the orange light comes on and not the green light. So i found that I had to take the power cord out and put it back in several times until it would boot up properly. However sometimes instead of the black nothingness of screen it would boot up then stop make a beeping noise and it would say FSC failure.
What's wrong with my computer? I google FSC failure but couldn't find anything related.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Are you sure it didn't say "FDC failure"? ... instead of FSC?

FDC being the Floppy Disc Controller.

As for the high-pitched whining, I'd have to say it sounds like the power supply. The next time you turn it off, put your ear next to where the power cord plugs into the back of your PC. I think you'll find that the whining is coming from inside the power supply.

Post back regarding the "FSC" vs "FDC" failure message. (?)

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Damn it could've been FDC as i did a search on FSC and couldn't find anything computer related. I haven't seen the message as of late because i have been to scared to turn off my computer before i back up some of my more important stuff. The FSC failure hasn't happened recently when i have turned it off just the blank black screen lately.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 01:51 AM
link   
It happend again this morning and it was FDC not FSC.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
As for the high-pitched whining, I'd have to say it sounds like the power supply. The next time you turn it off, put your ear next to where the power cord plugs into the back of your PC. I think you'll find that the whining is coming from inside the power supply.

If I remember correctly, the whining is caused by a faulty capacitor (usually), and like 12m8 said, this usually occurs in the power supply. However I have seen a motherboard do the same thing before, so you might want to have a real good listen to be sure that it is in fact the power supply before you go out and buy a new one.

Best of luck

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by HCLogo

If I remember correctly, the whining is caused by a faulty capacitor (usually), ...

That's been my experience as well.

To the OP,
If you Can isolate the sound to the power supply, then I'd recomend replacement as soon as possible. I've seen many a motherboard and or processor that met their demise due to a surge/spike when the power supply ultimately failed ... taking them with it.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Out of curiosity, how's the temp in your computer? Do you have good ventilation? Is there massive amounts of dust in the tower?

If so, get some canned air and blow out all the crap in it. This won't necessarily fix the issue, but it may buy you some time until you can get a new power supply, or until you get a new machine.

new topics

top topics

join