It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Underwater Lost City 'Could Rewrite History'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malichai
The Great Flood stories now have a little more support.

I'm afraid not. Local tsunamis and so forth may give rise to local stories about such things, but they don't indicate worldwide conditions. There is still no evidence for a global flood... and a lot of evidence saying it never happened.

podnus

There was mention that the area, 'tho not very deep, was beset by currents and stirred-up murk. My memory tells me it's in the path of an estuary outflow, and the latter fact added credence to verifying it's past existence from ancient Indian Scriptures.

The city lies in an area that wasn't much above sea level at that time, so the tsunamis and hurricanes (cyclones) of that time repeatedly hammered it and swept away pieces and debris to the lower slopes of the sea in that area.

podnus
I read that the Indian Government didn't want to have their territory overrun by foreign archaeological powers and determined to officiate there in the light that they have sufficient technical and scientific resources.

Gone are the days of Colonialism, when any foreigner could sweep into a country and begin digging for artifacts. This practice ended in India in the 1950-1960 time period, and since then, archaeologists have had to go to the Indian government and request permission to dig.

Most of the permits since that time have gone to Indian archaeologists.

So the source you found is probably a little out of date.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Hi All,

I found this topic a synchronistic event for me, as I had just finished watching a DVD set called "Atlantis: Secret Star Mappers of A Lost World". Now what was interesting was that the interviews that were presented, showed the different theories that various known authors and scientists have about Atlantis and where it could be.

The theories and ideas about Atlantis were very different for each person interviewed. Some of the people in the DVD are Graham Hancock * John Anthony West * Michael Cremo * David Childress * James Nienhuis * Maxine Asher * Crichton Miller and William Henry. Many of the people listed are controversial, but I found the theories they presented quite intriguing!

What I also found interesting was how different the various theories regarding Atlantis were. For instance, Maxine Asher believes that she has found evidence of Atlantis off the coast of Spain in some underwater megalithic ruins that were found, as well as from researching the history of the Spanish people. While John Anthony West proposed an interesting theory that Plato's Timaeus and Critias (which many Atlantis investigators uses as their research basis) was written as a musical allegory for his students. (Thats one I have never heard before!)

Like I said before, many of the people interviewed are controversial and some are clearly biased to their own theories, as they are sometimes accused of twisting data to support those theories. One thing that many of them agreed on was that any city that could be named as being Atlantis or a part of Atlantis must be in water that is over 100 feet deep. This is because the flooding that many attribute to the "sinking" of Atlantis was cause by the rather rapid melting of glaciers about 11,000 to 9,000 years ago. The melting would have cause the waters around the world to rise 300 feet.

This meant that many coastal and island cities would be hundreds of feet under water. Any city discovered in water less than 100 feet, according to many of them, could have been flooded by tsunamis, earthquakes, or other geological disturbances. What I also find interesting are the recent findings of evidence of a massive flood from ice core and tree ring samples.

Massive Ancient Flood Linked To Climate Change

by Staff Writers
New York (SPX) Feb 28, 2006
Scientists from NASA and Columbia University have used computer modeling to reproduce an abrupt climate change that took place about 8,200 years ago, when at the beginning of the current warm period climate changes were caused by a massive flood of freshwater into the North Atlantic Ocean. ...

The work is the first to recreate the event via computer modeling, and the first time that model results have been confirmed by comparison to the climate record, which includes data from sources such as ice cores and tree rings.

Source

Here is another discovery that is not so recent about ancient human artifacts discovered in the black sea.

Ancient Flood Theory Supported by Discovery of Human Artifacts
By Suzanne Trimel

Four years ago, Columbia marine geologists William B.F. Ryan and Walter C. Pittman 3rd inspired a wave of archaeological and other scientific interest in the Black Sea region with geologic and climate evidence that a catastrophic flood 7,600 years ago destroyed an ancient civilization that played a pivotal role in the spread of early farming into Europe and much of Asia. This week, the leader of a National Geographic Society underwater expedition of the Black Sea offered astronishing evidence to support Ryan’s and Pitman’s theory: the discovery of well-preserved artifacts of human habitation more than 300 feet below the Black Sea surface, 12 miles off the Turkish coast.

Source

Now of course the dates are all wrong as they are 1,000 and 2,000 years off according to Plato's timing of when Atlantis sank, which was 9,000 years ago. This is a source of controversy for many Atlantean researchers. (The date when Atlantis was supposed to have existed) This is even discussed in the video.

I think that anyone interested in Atlantis, alternative archeology, and/or the mysteries of history should take the findings, theories, and suggestions of the various people who do research in those areas with a grain of salt and an open mind. I have found as I do research in those areas that one day one persons theory makes a great deal of plausible sense, only to read another contradictory theory that makes even more sense!!

If anyone is interested in the DVD, it can be rented from Netflix or purchased from UFOTV.com. (I think the series was produced by them) Make sure you have some free time on your hand and your not too sleepy though!! Some of the people interviewed can put you to sleep.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   
According to the Critias, a work of Plato, there have been many deluges that sunk land masses. Even Athens suffered a land submersion before the sinking of Atlantis.

He says this:

www.sacred-texts.com...

“Concerning the country the Egyptian priests said what is not only probable but manifestly true, that the boundaries were in those days fixed by the Isthmus and that in the direction of the continent they extended as far as the heights of Cithaeron and Parnes; the boundary line came down in the direction of the sea, having the district of Oropus on the right and with the river Asopus as the limit on the left. The land was the best in the world and was therefore able in those days to support a vast army…but in those days the country was fair as now and yielded far more abundant produce. How shall I establish my words? And what part of it can be truly called a remnant of the land that then was? The whole country is only a long promontory extending far into the sea away from the rest of the continent, while the surrounding basin of the sea is everywhere deep in the neighborhood of the shore. Many great deluges have taken place during the nine thousand years, for that is the number of years which have elapsed since the time of which I am speaking; and during all this time and through so many changes, there has never been any considerable accumulation of the soil coming down from the mountains, as in other places, but the earth has fallen away all round and sunk out of sight. The consequence is, that in comparison of what then was, there are remaining only the bones of the wasted body, as they may be called, as in the case of small islands, all the richer and softer parts of the soil having fallen away, and the mere skeleton of the land being left."

India, Cuba and Japan are not the only places to suffer from land submersion.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Here are two hypotheses regarding the great flood:

1) a great war took place between Athenians and Atlanteans. The weapons used were so devastating that caused the great flood:

gnosis-hermetica.blogspot.com...

2) "Planet X" came by but did not cause Earth to rotate but to be flooded. By "planet X", I do not mean the Zetatalk or Sitchin planet, but any planet big enough to cause massive tidal waves that flooded whatever cities were built on the coasts.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale

It is exciting times for archaeological discoveries at the moment and i for one wont be surprised at all if the age of human civilisation does get pushed further back, though i doubt whether any biblical flood was the cause of the demise of these civs. There is plenty of evidence around for megafloods in our history, just recently finished reading of a megaflood which may have been the cause of the seperation of Britain from mainland Europe when the land bridge was destroyed.
I do agree with MM though that more evidence not just supported by Hancock is needed at this stage.

Nice find Malichai, i'll be keeping my eye's on this one.

[edit on 25/7/07 by mojo4sale]

You here talks of epic biblical floods and land bridges being opened up...well recently i found this video by pure chance on a certain web site..it truly opened my mind to new theories on pangea and could actually give more credence to the cities we are currently finiding.. and could answer a lot more about our past than we have previously believed...

after watching this video, i came to the conclusion that lava must be in constant production inside the earths crust which verifies how this method works and could prove that the planet is alive and not just a 'heavenly body' that can sustain life.

anyway, here's the link to the video...enjoy...

youtube.com...

if the link does not work... search youtube for 'growing earth'

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by masterp
1) a great war took place between Athenians and Atlanteans. The weapons used were so devastating that caused the great flood:

That is fairly unlikely considering the fact you'd need *ALOT* of swords, spears and arrows to cause a great flood.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by masterp
Here are two hypotheses regarding the great flood:

Except the Athenians defeated the Atlanteas and were using bronze age weapons (according to Plato.)

2) "Planet X" came by but did not cause Earth to rotate but to be flooded. By "planet X", I do not mean the Zetatalk or Sitchin planet, but any planet big enough to cause massive tidal waves that flooded whatever cities were built on the coasts.

No record of this. Civilizations have been writing things for well over 7,000 years and nobody mentions a tale of a huge planet in the sky (besides, it would have been captured by the sun or crashed into the Earth) or a war causing a flood, and there's no genetic bottleneck in the human population that matches those events.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I saw a show about this on the Discovery or Travel channel. Very interesting.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
very impressive archaeological find!

proves we are simply fish in a bowl and way stupid compared to what we think we are!

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I'm suprised i hadn't seen this posted yet, or perhaps i just missed it:
www.grahamhancock.com...

6 pages of information.

Also, i've been a long time fan of ATS, but always too shy to register. I'm going to Uni for a degree in Archaeology in 2 years, and anything to do with ancient cities and whatnot makes me ravenous for information!

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

No record of this. Civilizations have been writing things for well over 7,000 years and nobody mentions a tale of a huge planet in the sky (besides, it would have been captured by the sun or crashed into the Earth) or a war causing a flood, and there's no genetic bottleneck in the human population that matches those events.

*ahem* Depends on who you ask...

According to Z. Sitchin, the Sumerian's wrote of a huge planet in the sky (The planet of the crossing, or Nibiru). They also detailed in their epics, and later recounted in detail in the Babylonian: 'Epic of Gilgamesh' stated it was captured by the sun (in an elliptical orbit), and it, or one of it's moons, also crashed into earth early on in the formation of the solar system.

The great 'deluge' has been detailed in many historical and religious tales passed down and regurgitated over the last several thousand years.

The concept that this "external planet" caused the great flood of the bible approximately 12,000 years ago is also covered in detail in Sumerian texts.

The evidence is there; It all depends on whether or not you accept the interpretation of the text as Z. Sitchin does...

www.crystalinks.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hexstatic
after watching this video, i came to the conclusion that lava must be in constant production inside the earths crust which verifies how this method works and could prove that the planet is alive and not just a 'heavenly body' that can sustain life.

Great find. This is a very interesting theory. I'm going to research this topic more.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Various cities have been documented as having been sunk into the sea. Have a look at the demise of the ancient city of Helike.

The city sank in 373 BC on a winter's night. Columns of fire appeared out of the ground five days before the land submerged. An area of 12 Stadia sank into the sea and all the inhabitants perished. The ten Spartan ships anchored to the harbor were pulled to the bottom of the sea. The walls of the city were visible from under water for some time until the salt water corroded them. Then even later the area was silted over and completely erased from history.

This was not the work of melting ice caps. Land masses can sink due to volcanic activity, as demonstrated by the destruction of Helike. There has to be many lost cities underwater on our planet. If there is any record in ancient history that a place may have sank, then it probably did. The only problem is the details. Some of the details may be exaggerated.

If we could get someone to fund the removal of silk all around these sunken sites we're looking at, we might find something truly amazing.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale as this report from the OP is over 5 yrs old and no new evidence has surfaced to confirm its validity i would not be holding my breath for any new data in the near future.

Pyramids in Egypt... that news is over 2000 years old yet we still talk about it and there are new things being dug up.

But we wouldn't want to find any new evidence... never mind the government, Byrd would never survive the shock

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
A good call
I love that website you find lots of exciting info there. This has been the most informative on the above topic. Thank you

I will watch out for latest updates in this thread

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I wonder how long it's going to be before we find out the truth about this awesome discovery/how many lies will show up by religious groups and historians.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Fantastic find here, The biggest question on my mind is if this will lead us to the ancient ultra advanced civilizations or not. Finding anything of an older city or civilization is a treasure but if this actually leads us to the advanced cities then that would be incredible!! Keep an eye on this one

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
you know what would atleast cool but is impossible if the planet was made of a sky of water. and under that was a normal functioning atmosphere. I guess alot of that water would filter out UV radiation.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hexstatic
You here talks of epic biblical floods and land bridges being opened up...well recently i found this video by pure chance on a certain web site..it truly opened my mind to new theories on pangea and could actually give more credence to the cities we are currently finiding.. and could answer a lot more about our past than we have previously believed...

The video would be correct if Earth was a hollow ball and someone inserted a cosmic straw inside it and started blowing it up. It's not correct, and there's ample evidence to show that the filmmaker is a very good cartoonist but slept through all his science classes.

I'm not sure you thought this one all the way through. As you know, lava is "melted rocks". The center of the Earth is a core of molten iron, and above that is a huge layer of molten material. The surface is cooled crust of this molten material. What you haven't thought about is how stuff squeezed out of the core is going to cause the sphere to expand to nearly twice its old volume. The amount of material imagined in that video would be equal to removing much of the lower layers of the Earth... and leaving what -- a vacuum? The earth's crust would just collapse back in the hole. Air? Same problem.

As I tell folks -- look at the ORIGINAL evidence! Look at the rocks themselves and see what they're telling.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hamking
According to Z. Sitchin, the Sumerian's wrote of a huge planet in the sky (The planet of the crossing, or Nibiru). They also detailed in their epics, and later recounted in detail in the Babylonian: 'Epic of Gilgamesh' stated it was captured by the sun (in an elliptical orbit), and it, or one of it's moons, also crashed into earth early on in the formation of the solar system.

Okay... let me ask you this -- go hunt up the original Sumerian texts and translations. Can you provide us to a link of the translations (not Sitchin, but a word-for-word translation) where the Sumerians write about a huge planet in the sky?

I'll give you help with the second... here's the translation of the Epic of Gilgamesh... where, please, does it say that a planet was captured by the sun and a moon crashed into earth in the formation of the solar system?

Here's the Wikipedia "readers' digest" version of the tale:
en.wikipedia.org...

And here's a very readable translation of the 11 tablets. Please show us which tablets these statements are on:
www.ancienttexts.org...

The concept that this "external planet" caused the great flood of the bible approximately 12,000 years ago is also covered in detail in Sumerian texts.

I'm familar with the Bible and am at a loss where it shows a planet showed up about the time of the flood. Scholars put the time of Noah about 3,000 years ago... there's quite a discrepancy there (12000 years ago there were no Hebrews.)

The evidence is there; It all depends on whether or not you accept the interpretation of the text as Z. Sitchin does...

Do you? If he's right, you should be able to find those same statements in the original texts that I linked to.

Can you?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join