It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Underwater Lost City 'Could Rewrite History'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Scientists have found a huge underwater city off the coast of India. It appears to pre-date other known civilizations. Stay tuned to this one. It could be very big!

By BBC News Online's Tom Housden

The remains of what has been described as a huge lost city may force historians and archaeologists to radically reconsider their view of ancient human history.

Marine scientists say archaeological remains discovered 36 meters (120 feet) underwater in the Gulf of Cambay off the western coast of India could be over 9,000 years old.

The vast city - which is five miles long and two miles wide - is believed to predate the oldest known remains in the subcontinent by more than 5,000 years.

More at source

The Great Flood stories now have a little more support.

[edit on 25-7-2007 by Malichai]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this, I was reading this today on the news site and it really caught my attention,

I cant wait to here of the discoverys which may be found,

Sometimns this world can seem so small and that we have seen it all, then something like this comes along

I will be one for sure to keep my ears open for more on this...

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
This is a wow find.
I cant wait to get the full details and maybe some pics.
If they were this advanced 10,000 years ago then advanced civ. will be pushed back even further because you just dont build a city overnight.

Very interesting.

We have to find out what happened then ... where and how this civilisation vanished," he said.

Uhh maybe they were flooded.

[edit on 25-7-2007 by earth2]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Robert Bauval must be beside himself waiting to hear the rest of the details on this one. I hope we are looking at a circular city (I apologize I haven't read the entire story yet). Very Exciting!

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Nice find.

I remember that when the tsunami hit in 2004 that some said they saw structures off the coast of India when the water was receded before it came, but I have not heard anything more till now.

Anyway, here is another underwater sight off Japan that was discovered in 1987, called the Yanoguni Monument with some pretty impressive photos. The big debate is whether it is natural or manmade. I think it was a natural formation that was worked on by man because it shows obvious signs of unnatural shapes.

[edit on 7/25/2007 by Hal9000]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
Nice find.

I remember that when the tsunami hit in 2004 that some said they saw structures off the coast of India when the water was receded before it came, but I have not heard anything more till now.

Anyway, here is another underwater sight off Japan that was discovered in 1987, called the Yanoguni Monument with some pretty impressive photos. The big debate is whether it is natural or manmade. I think it was a natural formation that was worked on by man because it shows obvious signs of unnatural shapes.

I saw a documertary on this I think on the Discovery channel. I am not a scientist or archeoligist but after seeing the videos of the site I find it very hard to believe that it was just a naturally occuring phenonenon. I have been trying to find other info on the subject and would appreciate any new links. I just can't help but believe that it is man made.

[edit on 7/25/2007 by Hal9000]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Simply incredible, I have watched all the history channel shows about possible landmasses around continent perimeters being submerged when the Ice age melted. It is my guess there is plenty left to be found all over the rims of continents. I cannot wait to see what they find and read the reports of what they come up with. This is huge IMHO and it may change much of what we think we know about the history of our species.

Great post Malichai

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
The story according to the BBC webpage you've linked to is from Saturday, 19 January, 2002. Not sure why we never heard anything else about this in the past 5 years.

Maybe they found something vastly important & ground-breaking that it needed to be covered up.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Here's what Wiki says about it:

It has been argued that the ruins are either natural rock formations and result of faulty remote sensing equipment and the "artifacts" recovered, including pottery sherds, in the area of the ruins are either (Geofacts) or artifacts reworked from shipwrecks and eroded from coastal sites by the very strong tidal currents that characterize the Gulf of Cambay. The side scan sonar equipment used to image the bottom of the Gulf of Cambay was said to be faulty, and that a lot of the supporting evidence is purely circumstantial. Interpretations as to whether the objects and seismic data gathered from the Gulf of Cambay and published over the years supports the existence of submerged Neolithic cities differs sharply between conventional archaeologists and alternative researchers. The consensus among conventional archaeologists is that there is a complete lack of any valid evidence for submerged ruins and any in situ artifacts associated with them. In sharp contrast, alternative researchers, including Graham Hancock, supporters of Vedic science, and Hindu nationalists, argue that the evidence clearly indicates the presence of submerged Neolithic cities at the bottom of the Bay of Cambay (Witzel 2006).

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Great find. Marine archaeology has made some very exciting finds of late, particularly around the mediterranean. Here they have found remains of a city that they believe Alexandria may have been built on top of.

www.livescience.com

Now scientists have discovered hidden underwater traces of a city that existed at Alexandria at least seven centuries before Alexander the Great arrived, findings hinted at in Homer's Odyssey and that could shed light on the ancient world.

And here are details of what may be the worlds oldest city discovered in Turkey (not an underwater one), unless this new discovery in the OP predates that. City's of this size were previously thought to have only emerged in Mesopotamia around the time of the Sumerians.

Çatalhöyük

9,000 years ago, this place was home to one of the world's largest settlements!
At a time when most of the world's people were nomadic hunter-gatherers, Çatalhöyük was a bustling town of as many as 10,000 people.

It is exciting times for archaeological discoveries at the moment and i for one wont be surprised at all if the age of human civilisation does get pushed further back, though i doubt whether any biblical flood was the cause of the demise of these civs. There is plenty of evidence around for megafloods in our history, just recently finished reading of a megaflood which may have been the cause of the seperation of Britain from mainland Europe when the land bridge was destroyed.
I do agree with MM though that more evidence not just supported by Hancock is needed at this stage.

Nice find Malichai, i'll be keeping my eye's on this one.

[edit on 25/7/07 by mojo4sale]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I think it should be pointed out that the actual article linked to is 5 years old. The study of the site is still ongoing, though.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
I think it should be pointed out that the actual article linked to is 5 years old. The study of the site is still ongoing, though.

WOW i missed that good Observation. This changes my feeling a bit to the would they cover this up mood. I hate that alot of things arnt shared with us. I was ready for the they found a land speeder buried in the sand report. Damn.... will I have to globe hop to find out for myself on these things we talk about. :-)

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by geemony
WOW i missed that good Observation. This changes my feeling a bit to the would they cover this up mood. I hate that alot of things arnt shared with us. I was ready for the they found a land speeder buried in the sand report. Damn.... will I have to globe hop to find out for myself on these things we talk about. :-)

Dont give up just yet I think they are talking about the jap underwater ruins.
This thread is about the ruins off the coast of india and its recent not 5 years old.

edit: I retract that, that website is 5 years old, funny I never heard the story before

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
MajorMalfunction,

Have you ever noticed that no matter how strong the evidence for any given subject, if one has a strong faith or belief in something their belief will overshadow any factual evidence? One has to completely throw their ideology and belief system out the window to uncover the truth about anything in this world. I think history has proven that.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
It's not surprising that this site is within 30˚ of the equator, which would have been the warmest area 9,000 ago before the polar caps melted.

The question remains, what else lies off the coasts near the equator?

Great find!

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Extremely Interesting Story!!!!

I do wish we could find so more up to date information
I found this link

I think it is totally Unreliable.... But it was posted in 05 so that gives us a view of what may be going on now

Woot Another one... WITH PICS!!!!!!!

merry christmas all... Now help me by finding so more pages...

Oh and the underwater city is named Dwaraka

Coven Out

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Good find, but this is definetly not the oldest city in the world.

There are literally hundreds if not thousands of such cities under water.

Throughout the Mediterranean alone there are dozens if not more of such cities.

I would say there are older such cities waiting to be discovered, such as the city off the coast of Cuba which is 2,200 feet underwater.

www.cyberspaceorbit.com...

There are caves in Cuba which have strange paintings which are very old.
www.cuban-beaches.com...

Some of the paintings describe the movements ot the sun and moon during the seasons but others are not well understood yet, such as some double oval crosses which predate columbus and even Christianity.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2

We have to find out what happened then ... where and how this civilisation vanished," he said.

Uhh maybe they were flooded.

Maybe it was when they realized that they built their city entirely underwater! OOPS!

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 12:09 AM
link   
This all is great stuff. If the indian City is only a couple of hundred feet I can imagine National geographic jumping on that quick as far as funding exploration. The Cuban site is awsome but as mentioned its over 2000 ft.
They need 2 million dollars for exploration and bringing back stuff. The submersible wont be able to drill just pick samples. The last submersible had problems.

i have the latest link I could find. 5/2007

Cuban sunken city

as astounding as all this..it makes you wonder just how vulnerable we are. we seem to be getting a lot of reminders about that lately.

Great thread..I am going to park here for a while

SyS

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Good find. But this doesn't come as a surprise to me as I have keen interest in Indian Civilizations. You can look at my threads on ATS.All of you will find hundereds of references to the same city in the holy scriptures if the Hindus - Mahabharatha.The name of the city was - Dwaraka ans as per Mahabharatha,it was one of the most advanced cities of the world with beautiful gardens and buildings/ It also had a very advanced drainage system. Archealogical Society of India has been doing research and excavations at the site for a long time now. Although for many of us it's a big news but if you ask people of Gujarat( the Indian state adjoining Gulf of Cambay) it's a material of general knowledge. Please find more details with photos about the site in the links below:

Dwaraka lost and Found

www.ufoarea.com/aas_dwaraka.html - 58k

www.vedamsbooks.com...

devdutt.com...www.vina.cc... /stories/GENERAL/2005/4/dwaraka.tsunami.html

This city has been connected with the UFOs,aliens etc.

I had started a thread on ATS - Holy City Dwaraka - Lost and Found. But for some stratnge reason the mods decided to remove it. I'am happy that now I have a forum where I can discuss this.

AryanWatch

<<   2  3  4 >>

join