It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Invisible War (non lethal weapons video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
The Invisible War (non lethal weapons documentary)
megaupload link to video, 200mb / 52mins (commercials removed)

Aired 17/07/07 on SBS TV

Produced by The Cutting Edge

I watched this doco' last night on channel SBS from a really good show called "The Cutting Edge" which is a show that takes an unbias look into some of the important current affairs topics.

This week they took a look at Non lethal weapons that the police forces are implementing such as Tasers, rubber bullets etc.

They talk about a range of things from various non lethal weapons like
- shotguns loaded with bean bags, rubber bullets, wood/rubber/foam cylinders.
- Both types of Taser (m26 "point contact" taser and X26 "pistol" taser with the cables)
- A small segment on capsicum sprays
- MICROWAVE WEAPONS !
(@ 22min mark)

and how they have actually caused some deaths and serious injuries due to inapropriate and over use.

It also shows how the police departments of today want an easy way of doing things (quote) "so police dont have to break a sweat or have their shirt untucked while capturing a non compliant citizen"(end quote) and that they are being used more and more on peaceful non-compliant citizens as a "do as i say or ill zap you again" form of forced compliance.

one officer (quoted above) lost his job for refusing a direct order to taser a passive non-comp. citizen so they could be handcuffed by other officers, he felt there was many other ways besides the taser.

One of the things that really stuck in my mind from it is when they mention that when the police force starts implementing military weapons and tactics that they start toact like the military with intimidation tactics (baton's, riot shields for unarmed protestors) and that along with this they start to employ people who return home from military service and anyone who normally would not pass a police psychological test are being employed as private law enforcement contractors both of which result in an over-use and reliance upon these weapons as an easy way of doing things, with the end result being an enforcement of compliance upon citizens as opposed to enforcing the law to protect them.

They speak with one man who has decided to fight Taser int'l over the claims made by them to sell weapons to police eg "never killed or harmed anyone" and "used to harmlessly take down Non-Compliant aggressive offenders" but in actual fact are rarely used for such instances and very regularly used against protestors, small time drug dealers and non comp. traffic stops.

I found it to be very informative and eye opening, i hope you enjoy it too.

edit to fix links

[edit on 17/7/07 by Obliv_au]

[edit on 17/7/07 by Obliv_au]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Thanks for the video. Very interesting and informative.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
thanks for viewing, i was starting to think the thread was dead

it brings up some pretty good points from both sides doesnt it?

the police saying they are "transitional technologies" until something better coming along, and from the non supportive side they show injuries caused and how over-use is rampant especially as a compliance tool.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I think that it does bring up some good points. It's hard to pinpoint some of the problems, but I think the problem boils down to a mainly human issue. I think our police are too aggressive, violent, and at the same time a bit morally lazy. I think that because of that the public can tend to react with a disdain or disrespect for police, which can boil down to a disrespect for law.

I think the human issue is driven by policy problems. I remember at one point in the past that military and veterans were discouraged from becoming police officers. We need to stop treating/training the police is if it were military, and get back to a seperation of military from police, and total seperation is preferable. Police are civil servants, and the military is trained to kill. Big difference!

It would also be nice to not have our military in senseless wars murdering innocents senselessly. You turn our boys into senseless murderers abroad, don't forget that those boys come back home to the US and now they are our problem to deal with. Not to say that our military is all a bunch of senseless killers, but you get my point.

This is an area in which I highly support Ron Paul in '08. As commander in chief, he would work to bring back the Constitution way of doing things, seperate the military from the police, pull us out of unnescessary foreign intervention, and strengthen our military defense at home. All of this with less overhead and less tax dollars. I think this would reinstill the public's respect for the police, the military, the law, and the government as a whole. It's a pretty simple concept thought up long ago that has worked very well. Give respect, and you get respect, and please remember that the government works for the people, not the other way around.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Reminds me of the new "less-than-lethal" weaponry the NRL is working on: An energy weapon system that uses high voltage to stun a target. The weapon system is an attachment on regular weaponry; example: Attach this system to a M-16, now the M-16 fires electric bolts of a preselected voltage based upon caliber that breaks up the brain's control network, thereby stunning a target if hit once in the head, multiple times in the heart, or multiple times in various parts of the body.

The higher the caliber weapon, the higher the voltage, and the less less-than-lethal and more lethal the system becomes. This system will also be fitted onto aircraft in the form of an EMP, a weapon that will shut down entire buildings or vehicles. This way, armored vehicles can not fight back and later be collected, aircraft can not take-off, ships can not move, and entire cities are "blacked-out." The high caliber EMP system will also be in the form of a portable rocket launcher. This EMP weapon can also stun multiple humans in one hit.

Ammo will no longer be an issue, just recharging the weapon system. The weapon system, once fired, looks like lightning, or a more dense version of it. The range of the weapon depends on the voltage, and the lethality depends on the voltage and the area hit by the system. The system should enter service by 2012. I will not release the system's name because I do not want to spoil this for you.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by nobody
The system should enter service by 2012. I will not release the system's name because I do not want to spoil this for you.

by all means, spoil away

dont keep me in suspense for another 5 years eh?

[edit on 26/7/07 by Obliv_au]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Obliv_au
by all means, spoil away

dont keep me in suspense for another 5 years eh?

Aww, you don't want me to ruin this for evryone else, do you?

If you would like to learn more about this new system, contact your local NRL contact, or go online to the NRLs restricted site and register for their newsletter. Remember, the United States doesn't like to keep secrets, all secrets come out sometime.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
mate, im an aussie so my local "NRL" is the national rugby league and i hate stick n ball sports
(motorsport all the way, baby!)

cmon spill the beans, or at least u2u me a link

top topics

join