It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army's middle ranks are dwindling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Here's another problem that Bush chooses to ignore in his push to get more troops into his war...

More at Source: Army's middle ranks are dwindling
Such experienced leaders are a steadying force -- but many of them are quitting, in search of their own stability in civilian life.
--------------------
They had been skilled helicopter technicians with the 82nd Airborne Division and, not yet 30, just the sort of noncommissioned officers needed to train the 65,000 new soldiers President Bush has ordered to expand the short-handed force over the next six years.

But the Ashbys are among the midcareer leaders the Army is having the most trouble holding on to — those torn between finishing a fight and raising a family. In this case, the Army lost twice: Bradford Ashby left in October, his wife the year before, because they didn't want to watch the children they plan to have grow up on video.

So Bush is still pushing to get more troops for a new "surge" in the Middle East...But who's going to train them? Without adequate training for new recruits, the surge is more than likely to be another flop to add to Bush's record of failures.

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Not everything is Bush fault. In general terms volunteer militarises the world over have a degree of difficulties meeting recruitment goals. Society is also changing fathers now want to spend more time and play an greater role in raising there kids this is something that military life wouldn't be ideal for.

Maybe US military service could be in return for paying off of student loans rather then empty promises about college benefits.

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Alot of them are getting out and going back to Iraq as contractors.

I've helped submit about a dozen resumes for soldiers that are getting out and wanna come back to Iraq to work.

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Another truly sad unanticipated outcome of the Long War.

Also, some young people I know who got out of the service after being in Iraq are having trouble finding work, especially work in fields of law enforcement. The feeling of employers is that, because they fought in Iraq, they might be at risk for mental health problems.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
Not everything is Bush fault.

I never said that it's Bush's fault...I merely said that Bush is ignoring the problem.

This is something that could have serious repercussions in the chain of command from top-to-bottom, if there's a gap in the middle. I mention Bush ignoring it, because he still wants to push more in the Middle East while not addressing the problem that could affect his strategies & troop morale (as if he's ever been concerned about anybody's morale but his own anyway...).

top topics

join