It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunshine Official BTS Thread.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The sun is dying, and with it, all of humanity. As a last gasp, earthlings send a crew of astronauts on a mission to reignite it.

With the new sci-fi film Sunshine, Danny Boyle advances his genre-tweaking career, which also includes the mordant Shallow Grave, the drug-culture classic Trainspotting and the socio-zombie mashup 28 Days Later. Sunshine, which stars Cillian Murphy, Michelle Yeoh, Rose Byrne and Chris Evans, opens on July 20

As far as we can find, there's never been a film about the sun, yet it's the single most important thing you could jeopardize

Director Danny Boyle has tried to keep this Sci-Fi film more real than other Sci-Fi plots...

Hard-core sci-fi has gone out of fashion, hasn't it? There was a strong strain of it into the '70s that tried to depict space realistically, but it's been replaced. Alien, one of the great masterpieces, was quickly followed by Star Wars. And Star Wars, of course, led everyone to fantasy sci-fi, that playground where anything goes. You can imagine any creature, on any planet. And they all talk English.

Source

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The movies was in my oppinion great. But I could tell that this is one of those that devide the waters. Some people I'd expect to love it hated it and vice versa.

The funny thing was that it came in Denmark at the time when there was a lot of talk about the sun "wanting" to destroy Earth, here on ATS, hehe. So that might have given the movie a boost for me.

Cilian Murphy is in general a great actor, and he is no different here. I honestly think there is only one actor bringing this movie down and that's the female heroin.
If you've seen 28 Weeks later you'll remember her as the lady soldier who helps the two kids.
In this movie though she is a bit whiney and it kinda got to me

Nevertheless the general feel of the movie is in my oppinion nice and dark in it's atmosphere like a Danny Boyle movie should be
I think he at times even manages to dig up some of that artistic feeling of desolation and emptiness that the 70s and 80s space movies managed to put in so very well.

My advise is...go see that movie, but don't expect Alien or something like that. This movie is more like "A Space Odessey" meets "Outland" (that spacemovie with Sean Connery in it).

Have fun with it ^^

[edit on 17/7/07 by flice]

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I recently watched this movie, I'd recommend it to anyone who has absolutely nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon.

A mission to save our dieing Sun... it's certainly an enticing plot line. The enthusiasm wanes however when you find that the fate of humanity rests in the hands of an entirely unconvincing group of young actors that are best suited for an offbeat Comedy rather than an intense Sci-fi voyage to the Sun.

Any actual enjoyment the viewer can manage to experience during the first hour of the movie, is squashed to crushing disappointment during the final third when the story and direction take a mach-5 nose dive straight into sheer absurdity.

An amazing concept for a movie, but completely destroyed by laughably inadequate casting, clumsy direction and a final third that screams utter incompetence in film making.

SR

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I loved this movie so much, The CGI sun was amazing just to look at as well such a good story and the villain is really cool and creepy i didn't go in expecting much from it so i wasn't to bothered that it wasn't armaggedon proportions or really epic but it's worth viewing.

top topics

join