It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's YOUR personal opinion about God...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
For me, God is the IS, the the Everything, for US, within context of our narrow and Terra-centric view of things. To me, the Holy Bible is an account, written by humans, which describes phenomena and societal mores that were appropriate for a time, which oftentimes laid down the laws specific for a particular culture. Dare I challenge Leviticus within context of our modern society? Yes, I dare, because IF there is a God, I was created to think, and question, and ponder, and find my own answers; that is the crux of free will.

Okay, cut to the chase. It is my belief that God is a super-evolved "other" -- you could call it an alien, or perhaps a group of them. It's interesting to me that in Genesis, several times "God" is referred to as a collective. I think humanity, given that they don't extinguish themselves with nuclear weapons, might eventually evolve and evolve their technology to where we can create minature solar systems. It's all about the scale. What we see as infinite and enormous (our universe) might be a microcosm in another creatures's awareness. If humanity -- assuming survival and progression -- 250 years from now has the ability to create a microuniverse, would they not be called "God" to the creatures that evolved from the surfaces of the planets which formed?

I have always found it curious that God (at least according to the Holy Bible) seems to need to be worshiped. Makes "Him" seem sorta human, yeah?

I believe in God. I pray. I just don't know in my heart what "God" is.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I believe man created god out of ignorance and fear. Really no reason for it.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
IMO God is unknown and unknowable by us at this time. It could be a universal creator. It could also be an alien civilization that saw us destroy ourselves on Mars and transplanted us to Earth for a second chance. "Give them a religious dogma. Maybe they won't screw the planet up this time."

ETA: The second doesn't sit well with those that need a personal relationship with the "higher power."
edit on 16-6-2014 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: lilblam

I am Christian just so you know where I am speaking from.

I think the image of God is male, and that is why you will hear Christians refer to God as He. However, God Himself is Spirit so I don't think He really fits into the category of male or female.

Is God omnipotent? Yes, but His character doesn't allow Him to do specific things. For example, God cannot lie.

Is God omnipresent? Yes, but its also logical to assume an Omnipotent/Omnipresent God can also choose to exclude Himself due once again to His character. God cannot be within the presence of sin.

He is also Omniscient just to add that one in there.

I believe when people say God is Love that means He is the embodiment of perfect altruism. I mean you could say love=knowledge, but does that make it true? I mean I could say knowledge=nothing therefore you cant strive for it, but does that make my statement true? No. What is knowledge? What is truth? Is truth something Humans decide or is it something exist independent of Human thought?

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: lilblam

originally posted by: lilblam
And by that I mean do you think of God as a male/female? Is he omnipotent? Omnipresent? Is he eternal?

The Son (Jesus) is The Image of The Invisible God (Colossians 1:15). God is Love (1 John 4:16) and although prophecies, tongues, and knowledge may vanish Love will never fail (1 Corinthians 13:8).

Is he just a race of long-lived aliens?

No, God is not a race of "aliens". God is Light and in him is no Darkness (1 John 1:5). Since God is invisible and also Light, this Light is not a physical light that comes from a light bulb, but a Spiritual Light that is Love.

What I'd like to get here is people coming from the same belief system yet having a different perspective... does the Bible for example state any SPECIFICS about his powers and abilities?

This describes God's Nature.

God has Merciful (Luke 6:36). God is kind even to the wicked and ungrateful (Luke 6:35). God desires Mercy and not sacrifice (Matthew 12:7). God also Judges, but if you forgive then God will forgive you (Matthew 6:14). This is the balance between God's Judgment and God's Mercy, but Mercy triumphs over Judgment (James 2:13).

Also, a question I'd like to get into, (unless this post is trashed like my last one O_O) is when people say "God is Love"... what do they mean? What's love?

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-5

"Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends." - John 15:13

Love is being kind and patient to others, not bragging about your self to others or trying to dishonor them.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join