It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perserve the Ethnosphere!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Hey guys, I'm sorry if this is off topic, but I feel it isn't so. I think its a very important topic we should discuss about, on the topic of Fragile Earth. On the plus side, I'll be a fresh of breath are regarding to all of these "Evil Al-Gore" and "Earth Live" ranting threads.

As many people know because of modernize and industrialize, over the century, and insatiable appetite for energy and resources we have ultimately stressed out our biospheres: polluting our environment, destroying natural habitant, endangering species. Fortunately we our beginning to take notice of this destruction and are beginning to find a resolution. (Some may disagree, but thats okay!!)

However, because of the same action, we have not only stress out the biosphere, but also the Earth's Ethnosphere.

But, what is an "ethnosphere" ? Well its a word coined by National Geographic's Anthropologist Wade Davis. Based on Wade Davis, an ethnosphere is

the sum total of all thoughts and dreams, myths, ideas, inspirations, intuitions brought into being by the human imagination, since the dawn of consciousness. The ethnosphere is humanity great legacy, it all that we are, all that we can be.

But, as I mentioned before due the same modernization and industrialization that is destroying the biosphere, is also in hand destroying the ethnosphere. Because of deforestation, missionaries, force-modernization, and war, we are exposing indigenous people to our culture, we are not only ruining these people way of life, but also exposing them to probably something much worse.

I guess this means a lot to me because I've always been fascinated with other cultures myths and beliefs, after reading books written by Joesph Campbell. Then that show "Going Tribal" just sealed the deal in my interest in other cultures. I just remember the host alway mentioning that rich cultures and life are constantly disappearing because modernization.

So why am I mentioning this now? Well because I just found a video on www.ted.com, which I felt should be shared to all. Its a video where Wade Davis speak out about this crisis, and he can explain it 1000 times better then I ever can, and probably answer any misconception I may have brought upon.

Well if your interested about this, please watch this video:
www.youtube.com...

and for a higher quality:
www.ted.com...

And after you guys are done, I would really like to hear your opinion on this situation:

[edit on 9-7-2007 by skyblueff0]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
That was an interesting video.

I do have to say, he never really drove home the concept that 'diversity in thought' is what may have been directly responsible for the success of the human species. He seems more interested in appealing to more altruistic rationales.

Thanks for sharing...

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Thankyou, great post.
This is something which until now has largely escaped my attention. thanks again

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
It is an interesting thought, though I would say that exposure to the outside world usually does not destroy cultures, rather it changes both cultures, as the Indian-Spanish fusion that we see in Latin America.

top topics

join