It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New F-22A Raptor Video (HUD - Cockpit Footage)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   
This new behind the scenes video released by Air Show Buzz on their website documents the first true Raptor demonstration. It was flown by Maj. Paul "Max" Moga on April 25, 2007, at Langley AFB, Virginia, as the certification flight for the future public flight profile. In the video "Max" is shown explaining the entire demonstration (maneuver by maneuver). Also, the video contains the first ever publicly released footage and audio from inside an F-22A Raptor cockpit and HUD.

Enjoy The Video

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Wow, that low speed manuverability is incredible.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   
AMAZING! There is NO way we go from riding horses to this in less than 100 years without advanced alien tech. No way none at all, common sense tells you that the ONLY way for us to advance this far this fast is with help from people who have already done it..I now believe crap..lol

[edit on 8-7-2007 by TXMACHINEGUNDLR]

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Awesome video! Thanks for posting that WestPoint23
The Raptor has been my favorite for a long time. Someone needs to make a movie with lots of Raptor footage ... Top Gun 2?

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Pretty good! But what's the big deal? The MiG 29 OVT (MiG 35) and SU 30's manoeuvres seem to be way ahead! I didn't see anything mind boggling. Or have I missed something here?

OK. Now check this one out. A MiG 29 OVT (MiG 35) in action. This is what aerial manoeuvres are all about!

Cheers!

[edit on 8-7-2007 by mikesingh]

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Ahh.
lets not get into which one is more manuevrable etc etc..

Only one thing that is of importance here:

Why are they releasing HUD footage?!
There are at least two instances at which one can easily extrapolate the rate of climb, which is supposed to be one of the Raptor's trade secrets.

The first on is at sea level and the second is at around 4000ft giving good ball park figures for overall rate of climb.

Hopefully they didn't test upper limit values on this flight.

I'm not too sound on USAF HUD designs but isn't that layout pretty much the same as other legacy(4/4.5 gen) USAF a/c?

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Didn't take this thread long to be derailed.

You have to remember one thing, Xtatik... All are combat aircraft.. be they F-22, SU-27 (and family) or MiG-29/35.

If you're going to try and derail this thread, I ask you this: Do you have footage of the SU-27 (and family) and/or MiG-29/35 doing the exact same maneuvers with a full combat load? if you have, please, I beg you!!! Show it!

The F-22 as you see will be able to duplicate those same maneuvers in combat. As far as I can tell, neither the SU's nor the MiG's can do the same. Not that it matters with what weapon systems exist today. You just have to look at an opponent and he/she is dead. The slower they are, the more likely they will be shot down. However, in that field, being combat loaded and duplicating spectator "ohhh and ahhh" maneuvers, the F-22 has the edge.

Now, let's all enjoy the videos and quit the childish vs-vs threads.

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Midav
Didn't take this thread long to be derailed.

You have to remember one thing, Xtatik... All are combat aircraft.. be they F-22, SU-27 (and family) or MiG-29/35.

If you're going to try and derail this thread, I ask you this: Do you have footage of the SU-27 (and family) and/or MiG-29/35 doing the exact same maneuvers with a full combat load? if you have, please, I beg you!!! Show it!

The F-22 as you see will be able to duplicate those same maneuvers in combat. As far as I can tell, neither the SU's nor the MiG's can do the same. Not that it matters with what weapon systems exist today. You just have to look at an opponent and he/she is dead. The slower they are, the more likely they will be shot down. However, in that field, being combat loaded and duplicating spectator "ohhh and ahhh" maneuvers, the F-22 has the edge.

Thank you.

Well I disagree with you here, but like you said this thread is already derailed and there's no point in derailing it further

Lets wait and see what the current exercise between the Typhoon and the MKI brings forth.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Thank you and I appreciate that. I sent you a PM just now.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
There are at least two instances at which one can easily extrapolate the rate of climb, which is supposed to be one of the Raptor's trade secrets.

The F-22 in question was not even close to climbing at full rate, it's best climb speed is mid supersonic. In that entire routine the Raptor never broke Mach 1...

I'm not too sound on USAF HUD designs but isn't that layout pretty much the same as other legacy(4/4.5 gen) USAF a/c?

The colors and graphics as well as the display set up are a little different, but otherwise it's nothing revolutionary. Remember, you still have legacy pilots flying the thing, best not to confuse them to much. And as the saying goes, if it ain't broke...

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Midav

Thank you.

Ooops!! I seem to have touched a raw nerve here!! Apologies if feelings have been hurt.

Having said that, I didn't mention anywhere that the Raptor is inferior in any way to the MiG-35 or the SU-30s!! I was just trying to put across the agility of these aircraft vis a vis the Raptor vid which didn't show its true capabilities. I was hoping to see some mind boggling manoeuvres as the vid rolled on. But alas! I was fairly disappointed!

Cheers!

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Not so much hitting a nerve rather than the old what's so special.... xxxx aircraft are ahead/can do it better/etc post. Just gets old after a while.

Enjoy the performances for they they are. Then you won't feel disappointed.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 05:32 AM
link   
The MiG-29 OVT is an incredible piece of kit, there's no denying that and it will always hold a special place in my heart. But there is one thing for sure you can count on like death, taxes and toenail fungus -- the F/A-22 Raptor is the ultimate air superiority fighter and will be for a long time to come. On top of that she's beautiful piece of eye candy.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
The F-22 in question was not even close to climbing at full rate, it's best climb speed is mid supersonic. In that entire routine the Raptor never broke Mach 1...

What is mid supersonic?!

The colors and graphics as well as the display set up are a little different, but otherwise it's nothing revolutionary. Remember, you still have legacy pilots flying the thing, best not to confuse them to much. And as the saying goes, if it ain't broke...

'Legacy Pilots'..

I'm sure they wouldn't take kindly to such names!

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   

What is mid supersonic?!

My fault, I meant to say Mach ~1.5, or thereabouts.

I'm sure they wouldn't take kindly to such names!

Well, the F-35 display system was designed for the next generation of fighter pilots. The Raptor's was meant to be much more conventional due to the fact that it would be largely flow by older and more conditioned pilots.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
All I know is that if it's a showdown none I mean none of those aircraft could out manuever an F4 Phantom! THat plane will take on all comers and put them to shame....uhhhhh....just kidding. The F22 is as bad ass as fighter planes get. the wright bros. must be very very proud looking down on this thing from heaven.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I noticed during a turning maneuver the Raptor opened its weapons bay doors. I know that doing that probably increased air resistance thus burned off energy. Just wondering if anyone knows whether that could be used in a real combat situation-like Top Gun when Maverick hit the airbrakes.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Oh yeah and DaVince is looking down going....Ohhhh...so thats how you do it.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by danwild6
Just wondering if anyone knows whether that could be used in a real combat situation-like Top Gun when Maverick hit the airbrakes.

That would not be ideal as it would increase RCS, airframe stress, weapons turbulence and an overall loss in stable aerodynamics, meaning you are entering dangerous territory. The F-22 has very large control surfaces in comparison to the F-16 or F-15. As such it has no dedicated speed brakes because it utilizes all of it control surfaces to better reduce speed and acceleration.

In addition to flying qualities evaluations to increase the speed and altitude of the F-22, testing has included flying qualities with the landing gear retracted at all speeds and altitudes (flights 1-22, 1-24, 2-2), landing gear down (flight 1-13, 2-2) and with the speed brakes extended. The F-22 has no dedicated speed brake surfaces, but uses the standard flight control surfaces for the speed brake function. In the CRUISE configuration, the ailerons deflect up, flaperons down, and rudders deflect out or the "barn door" mode. This is very effective in slowing the aircraft. In comparison, the F-22 and F-15 in side-by-side formation both deployed their speed brakes and the F-15 wound up in front. In the Power Approach or AR configurations, only the rudders are utilized for the speed brake function. (flights 1-13 (PA and landing), 1-15, 1-23 (CR), 1-29). Testing always includes formation maneuvering (flights 1-12, 1-20, 1-22) which continues to be a pleasant task with the Raptor.

Source

F-22 Pilot Commentary Courtesy Of "Dozer"

Using the flight control surfaces not only saved weight but in the long run ended up being quite a bit more effective than a conventional speedbrake, it's actually a great design. However, it was (talking to the engineers who designed & built the system) quite difficult to get right. Can you imagine the millions of varying parameters that must be accounted for through changing flight conditions to make the a/c maneuver the same regardless of percentage of speedbrake employed and regardless of the maneuvering envelope the a/c is in? Its a tremendous problem to solve and they did a marvelous job with it.

On to the next item - I think you'll find very few pilots employ speedbrakes in air to air combat. For example, the speedbrake in an Eagle above a certain alpha can make you more spin prone, and an Eagle was lost years ago when the pilot put out the speedbrake and forgot to retract it, entered a spin and never recovered - we lost that jet. The best speed brake you have (especially in a Raptor), is the entire jet, i.e. when you really get on the g and turn hard you can bleed your energy fast (all planes can do that - even a cessna). However, not all a/c are designed to take that so well, while you could slow a 747 pretty fast with a high g pull you might find out you have no wings at the end of the pull. Whereas fighters (most of them) are designed to handle those load factors. Therefore, in an F-22 if I want to rapidly slow down all I have to do is pull the power and apply max g and I can bleed the energy (speed) at a pheonmenal rate. And for fighters thats somewhat airspeed dependent, the faster I am the longer it takes to bleed energy even at the highest possible g, if slow, you can hit max g and slow down fast as you won't exceed the design load limit on the a/c. Bottom line is that the aircraft itself is a far more potent speedbrake than any flight control surface / speedbrake engineers could ever design on a jet. Most of the time speedbrake is used in admin types of situations, slow down in the pattern, in formation, etc. (Possibly during airshows to provide 'smoke on' for the Raptor with vortices)....

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I don't care what anybody says. but the f22 is built to outsmart the prey too. A mig 29 might be just like a gazell and be able to buck around and its horns will do damage too. but a f22 is built more like the lion that preys upon the gazell and will probably succed when called upon the task of hunting down enemy aircraft. god knows how many very top secret gadgets the thing has packed into it. probably got a whole slew of tricks up it's sleeve that none of our alied countries are even in on.

When I look at the f22 I see a killing machine. It just looks like it's built from the ground up to take out anything airborn. wouldn't be surprised if it had the capability to harrass and scare zetan craft buzzing around. "ahh hell here comes that damned raptor again! damni it! and we almost abducted billy from his farm! stinking USAF! ruining our grand project to map the inner colon of every human on earth for no reason!"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join