It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy 140 th Birthday Canada

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Wishing all you Canadians a Happy Birthday. One Hundred & Forty Years !!

Still an obelisk of Peace and Goodwill toward all other Countries. A proud Member of NATO Nations and our respect to British Heritage and Friends !!
'
Dallas

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Well, lets hope we can remain a home of freedom and goodwill toward other nations.

I'm proud to be Canadian. I'm proud that we started off with co-operation, when others were waging war with their ancestry... I'm proud that we have continued to seek diplomatic ties to problems we find, when others would jump to war as a solution.
I am proud to be rational. I am proud to be free of propaganda.

I am proud to be truly free... I am proud to be Canadian.

I can only hope that we can help others have what we have.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   
CANADA IS#1!!!!
I feel lucky every day knowing I was born in such a beautiful and peaceful place. I always say if every country was like Canada the world would be a very stable and more down to earth place to live.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 02:37 AM
link   
johnsky:
" I can only hope that we can help others have what we have".

Outstanding point. We have it pretty-good. We have our ups/downs but as long as Canada stays intact and stubbornly strong about maintaining unity we'll continue to be one of, if not the best favored Country, in the the "free" World.

Dallas

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Happy Birthday Canada!!!

Canada is certainly one of the better countries in the world offering an excellent quality of life to its inhabitants.

Off on tangent, but...

I am personally looking at leaving the UK and settling in either Australia or Canada in a couple years time. I am a professional Mechanical Engineer who has the necessary points for either country, however, I haven't started the process yet because I haven't decided which country I would prefer to live in.

The problem I have with the UK is the cost of buying a house at the moment is ludicrous. There is such a lack of houses that the average price of a house in the UK is more than 10x the average wage (worse around London!) I could get a mortgage for a huge 5x my wage and buy a flat or a house in a rough area but If I emigrate I could get a good house in a decent country. I am still under thirty and looking to buy a house and settle down.

I am more inclined towards Oz at the moment because of the weather. But I haven't ruled-out Canada yet.

So tell me what makes Canada such a great place to live?

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Congratulations on looking so good at 140, Canada!!!

As one of your southern cousins, know that many of us wish your nation the very best. It's good to have such nice neighbors.

Here's to another 140 before the first wrinkle shows up!!!

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I was 6 years old when my dad took me to the Expo train in '67. I remember waiting in the huge line of people waiting to go in. The line snaked left to right for soooooo long, and my feet hurt, I was bored, whinning to go home. I don't remember what I seen inside the train though, funny eh. Well Canada you're 40 years older and I am just a whinney (kidding). Happy Birthday Canada, you treat me and my family well.

dang spelling

[edit on 1/7/07 by Rhain]

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Hey there CarlosG,

Canada doesn't have the heat of Australia but in one coast (British Columbia) it has no (well little if any) snow but lot's of rain Oct -- Apr. The remainder has snow and cold a few months of the year. Always nice to have our Cousins, UK residents come into Canada !!

Dallas

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
CarlosG,

Speaking as a US observer, go with Canada. The climate while colder at times will be more to what you are used to. Toranto is Canada's answer to Amsterdam if you are into that scene. Montreal is a bit suffier than London in general but friendlier people over all. Quebec Providence...depends on if they want to be part of Canada or their own country this week...best know French despite the bilingual requirements, just best to know French. Windsor, great small city. Always friendly and helpful when lost even the police where polite and helpful. Of course I was polite too so I am sure that helped. Wilderness areas require you to be a bit more self sufficient but the people like hearing stories and swaping tall tales. Most dangerous wild animal would be a bear or wildcat. Some problems with Native American Indians or First Nations as they call them.

As for OZ, I hear many complaints about the growing Muslim population from non-muslims and little to no complaints from muslims. For the most part they are Islanders so racial prejudices may be a factor there as well as wealth ratios. Don't hear much in way of problems. Climate is tropical, sub-tropical and desert. Think Nice, France on a warm day and that is pretty much the sub-tropical cool days. There are many cities in OZ, but everyone will ask you where you live in relation to Sidney as most of the world thinks that is all that is there, besides the outback. Least dangerous animail in OZ........well the roos won't kill you with one bite but try to avoid kicks and hitting them with a car.

Transportation. Unless you plan on staying in one little part of a city and depend on taxicabs then a car is needed in either place. As far as public transit London is about the best in English speaking countries. Even NYC subways do not compare to The Underground as far as taking you where you want to go and buses covering the rest. And the El in Chicago doesn't go anywhere you want to step off at past daylight hours. Canada does use rail passenger transport cross country and is leaps and bounds above the US and OZ. Far as I know, transport in OZ is boat, plane, car or foot. And not in that order.

On topic: Congrats Canada for staving off your neighbors to the south for 140 years. Keep feeding stories of bitter cold and multiple feet of snow year round lest one of our idiots gets any bright ideas about the wonderful country you have. Most Americans are not aware you have any trees or grass or mostly litter free streets. And for those of us that do visit please keep reminding us that the 88 inside the red circle is not a highway number and remind your tourists that when they come down that the 55 mph does equal 55 kph. I ask that you remind them because we tend to get rude about it and use colorful language when we say it.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
CarlosG,

As a Canadian myself, I would obviously recommend that you move here! Housing is expensive in some parts of the country (Vancouver and Toronto are very expensive) but remains affordable in others. I live in Montreal, where you can still get a house for a reasonable price. What's more, the cost of living in Montreal is very low compared to your average North American city. Montreal is also a vibrant cultural centre with much to offer in terms of arts, entertainment, dining, etc. Very comfortable place, a great mix of North American and European culture. It's best if you speak French -- more than half the city are French Canadian -- but you can get by perfectly without it, as most French Canadians are at least functionally bilingual.

I am French Canadian, but my girlfriend is an English Canadian from Toronto. She was surprised at how easy it was to get by in Montreal after we moved. Since then she's learned to speak French fluently. So there's an added bonus to living in Quebec : you get an extra language on top of everything else.

Vive la belle province!

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
AeJonMN I have no idea how your long winded and rambling and cryptic post relates to Canada's birthday.

Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Canada. Happy birthday to you.

Long live our peace loving and good looking northern neighbors Eh!!!

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Its Canada's birthday,eh?
Well happy birthday then!
And dont party to hard up there.
And be kind to moose.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Damn, everyone forgets Halifax. Party town Ca-na-da. Great food, beer, wonderful people, culture, booze, parties, beer, seafood. Did I mention booze.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Congratulations, Canada. I wish you the best.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
There you go again intrepid, being a great person as well as great moderator. Tip'of the hat.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Canada's a place where all people live together with little to no frction or serious difference of opinion.
I have lived at both ends from Victoria/Gibsons Landing, BC to Halifax, Nova Scotia (had not the chance to live in Labrador or Newfoundland -- yet) And seems to me we are superkind and caring peoples !!

Dallas

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Happy birthday!

Just been having a quick read up on history and was surprised to learn that Canada only gained full legislative independence from Britain in 1982!

Independence began in 1931 with the Westminster statute though, it would seem. A rather long process!

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
yes happy birthday canada, i forget sometimes how lucky we are, especially here in B.C aka "gods country".

there is a road in richmond bc that has a church of every religioun (except jewish, i dont know why :@@
one after another for about 1.5 km. they call it the highway to heavan. I have never once even heard of a religious clash between any of the churches. A bunch of sihks started knifing eachother over what kind of chairs they would use for an event, but it never made it to the buddists or christians next door

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
YEA CANADA!! Happy freakin 140th birthday eh!!!
Great livin in a country with free health care, great people, great beer and no nuclear missles!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join