It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beer in Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
So, went up to Victoria, Uculet, Tofino and Vancouver last week. Had a great time over all. Question about the beer though.

Why did a 15 pack of Labatt's and a 12 pack of Victoria Island Brewing cost $54.00??? It didn't hit me at first until I was loading it in the car, then I was thought, "Wait, did I just drop $50.00 on a case of beer?!!" Went back in and sure enough, those were the prices.

I figured maybe we were in the pretty touristy town of Victoria, they can hit us with the tourist prices. But every liq that we checked was similarly high priced. I realize some of that was the deposit, and a good chunk was the %13.00 or some ungodly amount of tax.

Does beer cost that much everywhere in Canada, Eh? I plan on going back to Vancouver on the Amtrak regularly. Maybe I'll just have to stick to those other bars BC is (in)famous for. Although prices at the bars were not that different from US bars.

So, what's the deal, any tips on where to get a cheaper 12 pack?

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The exchange rate is about .93US vs 1.00Canadian. So it may seem expensive but I really need to look this up. I hope some Canadians can see this and answer that. I would like to go on vacation up their.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Sounds about right.

$25 for the 15 of Labatts and another $20 for the Vancouver Island Brewery (microbrew). Add bottle deposits and taxes, and you've dropped $50.

It varies across Canada, and I have heard that prices in BC are higher than other provinces. The only advice I can give you is to stay out of the beer stores and stick to the Govt shops, or you will pay even more.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
If you want cheaper, buy Lakeport or Lucky. Lakeport is better. About a buck a bottle + Taxes.

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Here in Ontario beer he taxed heavily + deposit. Fortunately, beer is much cheaper in Quebec and I live very close. When I visit family in the US I try and bring back a case or two ( shhhhhhh ) Actually, imported Canadian beer in the States is much cheaper than the same domestic here in Ontario

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I always figured it was because we actually put alcohol in it.

BC is insane for taxes though, but even here in Oilberta, you are looking at $1.50 to $2.50 a bottle.

Not too much opposition to "sin" taxes up here. I don't smoke, but apparently they are very expensive here too.

new topics

top topics

join