It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel from the Future

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 12:50 AM
link   
There are some theories that suggest time travel is very possible.
If that is true then that means there is a future you could travel to.
If there is a future that you could travel to then that means we probably have created a time machine in the future and we are traveling back to us.
That means we are being visited by the future. True or False.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Undetermined.

Since when does time travel automatically mean you'd be traveling along the same time line? What's happened has happened. There's no changing that. But what if there are multiple and alternate time lines where certain events are different or haven't, in the scheme of things, caught up to where we are. Who knows? Maybe someone somewhere is still fighting the Revolutionary War.

[edit on 25-6-2007 by Xerimethius]

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 04:32 AM
link   
If there is a time machine in the future, then they cannot travel back in time before the time machine was built. So therfore they cannot travel to our time... since we dont have a time machine (that we know of) This is all in thoery, and even so, even if there was a time machine thats been built in our existence in this present time, then im pretty sure you would be traveling to alternate realities rather then the ONE linear reality we are living in.

If there is a future that you could travel to then that means we probably have created a time machine in the future and we are traveling back to us.

I dont understand what you mean by that. How can we travel to the future when it hasnt already happened yet? Unless you believe in destiny and our lives are already mapped out, which would mean that the other thoery of time travel would be totaly disregarded , IE: such as alternate realities... since that involves infinate universes and infinate decisions would branch off for each timeline/universe

sorry if this doesnt make sence i had to rush the post.

cheers

[edit on 25-6-2007 by gtirlad2]

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by gtirlad2
If there is a time machine in the future, then they cannot travel back in time before the time machine was built.

And that is part of the bigger dilemma...

You cannot travel back in time before you existed!
Nor can you go back in time and meet yourself.

I would say that travelling forward in time is possible, though. But even that would raise other problems in itself...

Great head breaking topic! I love these kinds of topics that really stretch the thought processes.

[edit on 6/25/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   

I dont understand what you mean by that. How can we travel to the future when it hasnt already happened yet? Unless you believe in destiny and our lives are already mapped out, which would mean that the other thoery of time travel would be totaly disregarded , IE: such as alternate realities... since that involves infinate universes and infinate decisions would branch off for each timeline/universe

How about if every thing happened all at once? I mean the big bang, the big (crunch?) and every thing in-between happened in one supreme instant.

We only experience the passing "of time" cos that is the level of our comprehension.

Damn I think I’ve just solved all unexplained mysteries
what do we talk about now?

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32

If there is a time machine in the future, then they cannot travel back in time before the time machine was built.

Great head breaking topic! I love these kinds of topics that really stretch the thought processes.

Same here, There are heaps of threads on ATS dedicated to time travel and im sure some experts are going to join this one & set things straight haha im still a novice! so lets hope they bring something to the plate...

You cannot travel back in time before you existed! Nor can you go back in time and meet yourself. I would say that travelling forward in time is possible, though. But even that would raise other problems in itself...

I would have to disagree with you there, IMHO depending if Alternate realities existed, then it may be possible to travel back in time on a different timeline before you existed or to meet your alternate self, kinda like in the movie "back to the future".
Going forward in time is a wholenother ball game, Which boggles my mind trying to even explain it, might give this one a miss or delve into it later when i get have more time.

Originally posted by Now_Then

How about if every thing happened all at once? I mean the big bang, the big (crunch?) and every thing in-between happened in one supreme instant.

We only experience the passing "of time" cos that is the level of our comprehension.

Yes thats true in a way, we experience time based on our watch, clock, calender etc, Time itself is not linear like how we percieve it. Just as Xerimethius speculated, maybe whats happened has happened or what ever is going to happen is unchangable.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I strongly sometimes way too strongly get the feeling that the tall greys are us in the future.

And they have come way way back to help us even tho that help might not be needed ?

LOL call it a stupid guess.

Regard's
Lee

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
That means we are being visited by the future.

I think some 'ufo' sightings ARE future earthlings visiting back to do experiments and/or observe. That's just a thought and I have no proof.

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
You cannot travel back in time before you existed! :

Why not? (sincere question)

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   
if ufos are real, and they can access dimensions outside our own, then surely that means they can travel through time.

not much more to say about that than that

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I'd say it is more likely you could travel back in time than forwards in time...

Because if you travel forwards in time...
...I don't really know...how do you create the future quicker than it would create itself?

Yeah...but it's a time machine..so if you couldn't go back in time it would kinda defeat the purpose, don't you think?

My "theory" would be whatever you put in the time machine, including the time machine, wouldn't feel the "effects" of time. Meaning not going up or down age wise, or not being affected by going to dates where the technology didn't exist yet.

Kinda..sorta...maybe.

edit: "time", not "thime"

[edit on 25/6/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   

[

Originally posted by Now_Then

Yes thats true in a way, we experience time based on our watch, clock, calender etc, Time itself is not linear like how we percieve it. Just as Xerimethius speculated, maybe whats happened has happened or what ever is going to happen is unchangable.

Not quite the point I had in my head at the time of posting (eh time!).

You can't have whats happened has happened, or whats going to happen is unchangable because it IS happening, if the instant we are in is the same instant as every other event in the entire history then 'going to' or 'has' is simply symantics.

We just happen to be on simular wavelengths so to speak, that is why we percieve now as today. Maybe the trick to time travel is to just sync your self to the desired date, and hey presto, you could collect some Dino poo for your daisys!

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05

Yeah...but it's a time machine..so if you couldn't go back in time it would kinda defeat the purpose, don't you think?

[edit on 25/6/2007 by enjoies05]

Not necessarily, Once you build the time machine you can only use it during the time since its been built lol Just say i built the time machine today, and i dont choose to use it till ten years later, i can only travel inbetween those ten years.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Why not? (sincere question)

You don't exist before you exist.

Not a scientific answer, I know. But thats all I got.

edit for clarity, I think...

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
So you can only travel as far ahead into the future as you live? How would your person die if you a time traveling?

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   

So you can only travel as far ahead into the future as you live? How would your person die if you a time traveling?

Is that a trick question?

Ok, I'll take a non scientific crack at it.

Hmmmm..., I see another paradox.

Since you cannot be two places at once, I hereby refute any claims made by me that time travel is possible, either forward or backward.

Unless startling discoveries are made that would allow for coexistence with yourself.

My brain hurts.

----------------------------

edit starts here------------

Okay wait, that WAS a trick question.

If you die in the present while you are time travelling, the timetraveller YOU will die.

the reason being is that in the future, in your past history, you will have begun a timetravelling journey!!

You won't timetravel into the future to meet yourself, because you are not there yet. (You are time travelling!!!)

I think I just had a profound insight!

so scratch what I said about refuting anything!!!!

I'm gonna build a time machine to prove my theory right!!!

but I have to wait for E.T. to loan me the technology to do it.

edit to add, clarify and reiterate my position...

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   

I think the theroy is you can only travel within the period that the time machine is active.

If I had invented a time machine in the year 2000, that is to say built it and powered up on Jan the first - and right up to this day it has remained switched on, then I can travel freely back and forth within that period.

But I'm not even gonna bother starting to think about if I met my self, or I switched the machine off at some point during my travels.

What if there is more than one time machine active?

I'm of the opion that if time travel is ever achieved - it wont be as most envisage here, jumping in a box and jumping out in another date. Far more likely that information will be sent back and forth (well back, to send info foward is easy, write it down and leave it somewhere!) I can't see any thing pysical being sent, at first any way.

Wouldn't it be seriously cool if as soon as the first time machine was powered up we started recieving messages from the future!

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I'll stick my neck out here, and say that everyone posting on this thread (including me) has absolutely no idea what is or isn't possible as far as time travel is concerned. Bearing that in mind, comments such as "you can't travel further back in time than the date at which the time machine was built", or "you can't travel in time outside your own lifetime" are essentially meaningless.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mogget
... everyone posting on this thread (including me) has absolutely no idea what is or isn't possible as far as time travel is concerned. ...

But it is fun trying to get a handle on what could be possible, or possible reasons for it not to be possible. A nice exercise for the brain.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
what if our timeline has changed many times in the past without us even being aware of it except for the time traveler? What if our memory gets altered as soon as there is a change in our timeline?

For example, I remember clearly that Bush was elected president in 2001. However, perhaps in our timeline we already experienced Gore winning the 2001 election, but a time traveler from the future traveled to 2001 and modified the vote count so that Bush won.... and at that point our memories 'aligned' with the new timeline. I don't know how we can prove it or disprove it... but it seems like it is possible to me. Anything is possible IMO. I believe anything is possible because even our basic theories of physics aren't 100% proven... which is why they are theories in the first place.

[edit on 25-6-2007 by curiousbeliever]

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I read this somewhere,

If you write your name and address plus a note asking any future readers who have access to a time machine to give you a sign(like knocking on the door or turning on a light) according to the date you give them. For instance todays date 1 hour from now give you a sign. After you write this you fold up the letter and put it in an envelope and keep it as a family heirloom with instructions not to be opened until a time machine is built. Theoretically someone should turn your light off or knock on your door in an hour from now.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join