It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tips on how to not get banned

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Listen up...

If you haven't already heard, more and more people are getting banned, primarily for suspected hoaxes and trolling.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GET BANNED!

A few simple steps can save your account.

First, make sure all of your posts are well researched. Also, give sources! If you do so, no one can credibly accuse you of being a hoaxer.

Second, do not post with the intention of pissing people off. This is called trolling, is loathed by just about everyone, and can lead in you losing your account.

Third, do not accuse people of being nazis or something else terrible merely because they disagree with you. Such behavior may also lead to your account being banned.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Also, read the T&C's and simply be a decent human being.

Being nice will get you further on this board than you can even imagine.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Hmmm surprising I'm still here then ?

Hey roll up and get a bit of me before they ban me

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
My only question is, how in the holy god world would you know? You've been here for what? three months? I honestly don't think you'll get banned for being a hoaxer... *or atleast by what I go on since the last time I was here there were quite a few hoaxers that were not banned* Maybe two and three can go under courtesy but really come on, you've hardly been here...

"No one is ever banned from ATS for their opinions, ideas, connections, or theories. Everyone is always banned for simply not being able to politely function in the environment we've created."

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Hey, I've seen at least one and probably two thrown under the tracks for hoaxing. Furthermore, I have more points than you so you're hardly one to talk.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Without taking sides on the issue of hoaxing, because I don't have an opinion on that at the moment, points are irrelevant. People spend points on things at the ATS store so the numbers fluctuate. Numbers of posts and time logged on are better indicators of a member's activity here.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
You've only been here three months ....
you kinda sound like you are running for office.

Seriously though .. it was nice of you to post your thoughts, but as you see by the posts there have already been threads about this from the management here.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I think it could all be summed up by saying don't be a douche bag really.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Hey, I've seen at least one and probably two thrown under the tracks for hoaxing. Furthermore, I have more points than you so you're hardly one to talk.

Actually that only proves you posted more than I have, points don't mean much of anything, I've been on and off for six months at a time on this site so really. *that and i've had to use many points due to certain problems that arose earlier due to my avatar, thank you very much.*

Really though, there really shouldn't be this thread, maybe it should be here to remind people about the fact there are rules in place but then again there is another thread for that reason, created by a respected member of the forum. Trolling is one thing, but how can you say there are 'more and more' people getting banned for hoaxing when you've only seen a couple? Purposely hoaxing, depending on the behavior of all involved in the thread including the creator could and should lead to a ban *IE: Thread creator acting rudely to defend his claim, which he / she then confesses or states that it was a hoax* or some sort of punishment, but if it's for humor or to poke at peoples brains to see how well or what theories could come up. Or for writers, new ideas for short stories *not that i've done this but still* or if it's just for laughs kicks and giggles. Then it should be overlooked, it should be case by case.

But like I said, you've hardly been here and I stand by that.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist Furthermore, I have more points than you so you're hardly one to talk.

Which is supposed to mean what, exactly?

Podcasting can give a complete first day new poster 2500 points, I believe. So what does that (points) prove??

I have around 2000. If I hadn't squandered off my points, would have 100,000 or so. But not a big deal.

Face it, points are valueless, other than for accessorizing your profile.

And number of posts has little to do with any sort of credibilty either. It's the "quality of your posts that matter most". To paraphrase one of the staff here. (can't remeber who, though...)

[edit on 6/27/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Tips on how to not get banned

Dont Post.
Its guaranteed to work.

btw ive got more points than my neighbour but he has a nicer car, where does that leave me.

[edit on 27/6/07 by mojo4sale]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32

Originally posted by uberarcanist Furthermore, I have more points than you so you're hardly one to talk.

Which is supposed to mean what, exactly?

Podcasting can give a complete first day new poster 2500 points, I believe. So what does that (points) prove??

I have around 2000. If I hadn't squandered off my points, would have 100,000 or so. But not a big deal.

Face it, points are valueless, other than for accessorizing your profile.

And number of posts has little to do with any sort of credibilty either. It's the "quality of your posts that matter most". To paraphrase one of the staff here. (can't remeber who, though...)

Some of these new members think by making stupid threads and racking up points that they are somehow "better" then other members. The reality is that there are mods here and members that have been here for years who are much more qualfied to tell everyone else "how not to get banned" reguardless of how many points they have.

I have much more respect for the people who have been here for years and wisely choose when and where to post then the new members who post 500 times a day. The new members might have more points but that doesnt mean nothing to the real ATSers.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by hikix

...members who post 500 times a day.

Hey, are you cracking on me?

In the "three word story" thread someone tagged it with "mechanic 32 post a much"

I post on average 30 posts a day. There were times I wasn't on at all, but yes, I am a post whore. Mostly on BTS though.

Although I do think I make some good posts on ATS as well, but not as often as I post on BTS.

edit = correction to "mechanic 32 post a much"

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I'm a post mistress myself.

Know how to troll: Be smooth about it, lower the boom and leave a smiley that will make people think you're just being loveable.

Know how to put someone down: Do it with finesse...preface it by saying "I have the utmost respect for you and your posts, however....."

Use diplomacy and you will be fine. ^
^

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
mechanic, you should start saving up your points. Didnt you ever learn not to spend every dollar you've ever made.

BTW, you are more of an avatar whore then a post whore haha.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I think new or old we are all real ATSers.
Ill take some of those points that have no meaning btw.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by hikix

BTW, you are more of an avatar whore then a post whore haha.

Not exactly. In fact if you would do a scientific study, it will show that I only change my avatar at most 3 times a day. The most I have ever posted was I think 50 or 60 posts in a day.
So it's still a 16.66666-20 to 1 ratio there, of posts/avatar.

If you need better statistics, I'll have to insert all of my posts/days into a database, and calculate it. then try to figure out the ratio of posts/avatar from there.

Actually, I think a better rating of "quality" can be taken from a members post/applause ratio.

At least it is better than taking any one variable seperately.

edit - quality, instead of credibility

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I'm a post mistress myself.

Posters with 8,000 posts or more - (as of right now)
DG - there are only 9 people on ATS who have posted more than you.

1 - Gazrok 19457
2 - Nygdan 18766
3 - intrepid 18054
4 - SkepticOverlord 17328
5 - marg6043 16874
6 - Seekerof 15929
7 - Valhall 14036
8 - infinite
9 - dgtempe 12883
10 - FredT 12703
11 - kinglizard 12652
12 - Majic 11911
13 - Thomas Crowne 11699
14 - Lysergic 11681
15 - DontTreadOnMe 11647
16 - MaskedAvatar 10792
17 - worldwatcher 10672
18 - chissler 10649
19 - djohnsto77 10549
20 - asala 10453
21 - Umbrax 10435
22 - GradyPhilpott 10375
23 - RANT 10336
24 - TheCommanderInChief 10000
25 - EastCoastKid 9996
26 - Byrd 9981
27 - TheBandit795 9593
28 - Hellmutt 9168
29 - FlyersFan 9135
30 - Springer 9080
31 - Mechanic 9079
32 - SpittinCobra 8839
33 - Amuk 8741
34 - Zaphod58 8681
35 - Muaddib 8560
36 - junglejake 8269
37 - WestPoint23 8186
38 - Benevolent Heretic 8151
39 - devilwasp 8135

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
31 - Mechanic 9079

I don't want to nit pick, but that should be Mechanic 32.

I don't want to be confused with just a plain old Mechanic.

Edit to add:

9081 with this one.

I HAVE to get another hobby!

PS, if there were a rating of post count/days registered, I think I would be in the top 3, if not top dog.

[edit on 6/28/2007 by Mechanic 32]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join