It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheney disregards executive order on classified information

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Cheney disregards executive order on classified information

sfgate.com

Vice President Dick Cheney's office has refused to comply with an executive order governing the handling of classified information for the past four years and recently tried to abolish the office that sought to enforce those rules, according to documents released by a congressional committee Thursday.

Since 2003, the vice president's staff has not cooperated with an office at the National Archives and Records Administration charged with making sure the executive branch protects classified..
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   
This is yet another example of the secrecy that pervades Cheney and his doings. What exactly is he hiding here? I mean his aids (meaning him) went so far as to try to scuttle the very agency charged with keeping track of this data. The AG has aided in this conclution by not responding to requests that he rule on the legality of Cheneys continued non compliance with the law.

sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
El Duce Cheney strikes again. When will people understand that this administration is a criminal one and has no regard for the rule of law?

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
When will people understand that this administration is a criminal one and has no regard for the rule of law?

You mean as opposed to the Clinton Administration that had Sandy Berger stuffing classified documents down his pants and stealing them from National Archives - all to cover Clinton's mishandlings and dirty deeds?

Fact is they are all probably criminals. Pretty damn sad, isn't it??

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
For real,i saw this on the news today and was appalled!This admistrations arrogance is way out of control.If we dont want to answer any questions we just disband the agency or change the compliance laws??wtf??

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
This is a non-story story trumped up to make Cheney and Bush admin sound bad.

Fact is this is not a law, it's an executive order written by Bush himself. Under that executive order, the Vice President has just as much power as the President in handling and declassifying classified material.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Fact is this is not a law, it's an executive order written by Bush himself. Under that executive order, the Vice President has just as much power as the President in handling and declassifying classified material.

They don't need any help sounding bad.... they are perfectly capable of doing it themselves.

If as you claim an executive order is not a law, then pray tell what is it? Also if bush minor has given cheney the same authority he has, and he is accountable to a congressional oversight committee, they why wouldn't cheney be?

Also did you now know that bush minor is making the same claim for himself that cheney is; ie that he is not answerable to any oversight. In short he continues to claim he is above the law.

In a country that prides itself on the rule of law how can you continue to justify such an outlaw administration is beyond me.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Actually flyersfan I have gotten stuff from the national archive and they NEVER give you the authentic paper you are after, no matter who you are, Sandy Berger (the Clinton adminstration had been out of office for a couple years by then and as such were not cupable in Bergers actions) or me. You get a photo copy which you have to pay for, if it is not classified or sensitive and which you have to return if it is. So even if berger had succeeded in stealing those copies the original would still be in the archive.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Unfortunately, Cheney is correct when he says that the law does not apply to him as Vice President, assuming that it applies to all of the Executive. The Vice President is not part of the Executive Branch; Constitutionally speaking, he is vested solely with the power of President of the Senate, a Legislative function. While I am not sure whether this also applies to his direct staff, and there may be a valid argument, this important, fundamental distinction certainly applies to him. To reiterate: under the constitution, the ONLY member of the executive branch is the president. The bureaucracy, by answering directly to the president, is also by implication part of the executive branch because when they carry out their jobs they are asserting his authority.

Now, just because I agree with this argument does not mean that I think it is good policy, and the law needs to be changed to bring him in. It's a simple fix, and I am surprised that Congress wishes to play politics rather than change the law. But just because the law doesn't do what it necessarily intended does not mean that I will disregard it because I don't like who the vice president is.

And of course, I eagerly await the day when a Democrat tries to assert the same thing, and the partisans on this board and nationally switch sides and fervently argue the exact opposite of what they are arguing now.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Yeah ok

So, they can't take my property under Executive Order 13406 because I say no, right? Either law applies to none or it applies to all. Which is it going to be?

If they don't have to follow executive orders, the Constitution, and the law, then neither do I.

top topics

join