It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US agencies disobey 6 laws that president challenged

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   

US agencies disobey 6 laws that president challenged

www.boston.com

Federal officials have disobeyed at least six new laws that President Bush challenged in his signing statements, a government study disclosed yesterday. The report provides the first evidence that the government may have acted on claims by Bush that he can set aside laws under his executive powers.

In a report to Congress, the non partisan Government Accountability Office studied a small sample of the bill provisions that Bush has signed into law but also challenged with signing statements.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
This is an interesting story. What should the president's authority be with respect to signing statements? I believe that the president is given the opportunity to veto a bill if he thinks all or some of it is unconstitutional. He is in contravention of his duties if he signs something into law that is unconstitutional (he has sworn to uphold the constitution); his signing of a law indicates that he believes that it is constitutional. Therefore the president's signing statements are not worth the paper they are printed on, and agencies have an obligation to follow the law as passed and not pick and choose.

www.boston.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I have to say that I am amazed that this article isn't gathering more interest. US Agencies are actively not following the law... am I really the only one horrified by not only their actions but also the precedent being set?

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I think the precedent was set a long time ago. To me this is nothing new, it just doesn't surprise me anymore.

And the thing the really irks me is that this kind of stuff is never reported by the major news channels. So the majority of the US has no idea whats going on behind the scenes. Its not really even behind the scenes! Its not like they're making a huge effort to cover it up. Its just these lapdog news outlets that do whatever they can to avoid reporting it.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
togetic, the poster above stated the plain fact: we now expect the law to be broken by our leaders. We expect them to be crooks. We expect them to be immoral. We expect them to ignore our wishes.

That is the low that America has fallen to. We the people expect nothing good from our leadership.

And it is this feeling that there is no hope for better that may backfire on them one day. Some spark, as yet unseen and unknown, will be the trigger. Some small action will be the straw that broke the camel's back, and there will be a new start made, by extinguishing the old.

I only hope that this new start will not require a bloodbath.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Wow. That's maudlin.

I don't think that the people in government wake up every day and say "Gee, how can we break the law today."

Everyone is so worried about their pet government conspiracy that when there is actual, reported proof of a group breaking the law, we say "Eh, it's not sexy enough; no black ops blowing up buildings" and move on.

[edit on 6/20/2007 by Togetic]

top topics

join