It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran says won't rule out using oil as a weapon

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Guys - this whole idea that Iran could and would use oil as a weapon is absurd.

First of all - Iran imports most of its refined fuels as it does not have the capacity to meet domestic need, so immediately the Iranian people would pay more. Secondly - doesn't China have a huge Oil deal with Iran? So how do you think China would react to such actions. I can't recall how many times said deal was mentioned to state that China would intervene if there was U.S. military action in the country. Last of all, and this is the most important, the United States doesn't import ANY Iranian oil. Yup, nadda, zero, zilch.

So what affect would such action have? Well it would require China to seek reserves that would normally go to other countries - thus making life for China very hard - as they do not want to go toe to toe with the U.N., the E.U. or the U.S. on such an issue. It would more than likely persuade them to share the stance of the United States in regards to Iran - not because they agree, but because regime change would be the path of least resistance to secure the energy they seek.

This is just Iran thumping it's chest - nothing more.

[edit on 24-6-2007 by crisko]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by crisko

As well as being used as a weapon in an economic sense, oil and especially liquified-natural-gas tankers could be used as an offensive weapon as fire-ships...rig a full 50,000+ ton tanker with explosives, aim at the nearest USN ships and set sail full steam ahead

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Crisko
if its so absurd then why would we rush ships to protect the straits. Also did you notice that each time we went to Iraq and Kuwait the Oil fields were set ablaze? Do you know how many Millions and millions it took to contain and put out those fires, not to mention how long it took to put them out? Plus all the manpower to protect and contain them. Id say its a big weapon economically and resource-wise.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I don't see anywhere in the article where it said that Iran would block the straights. What I did see is this:

Although Iran is OPEC's No. 2 oil producer, it has to import about 40 percent of its domestic gasoline needs to meet domestic demand for fuel because it lacks refining capacity.

Even though the U.S. does not buy Oil from Iran - the rest of the world does. it would also affect Iran - and hard. Iran has the ability to stop it's oil production which would indeed affect global prices. But if you looked at the post I referenced earlier - you will see that Saudi Arabi is ready to flood the market with Oil to put the hurt on Iran.

As far as protecting the straights - our carriers are not there to do that - they are the to pressure Iran. Protecting the straights is a U.N. mission lead by the British, not the U.S. We have a few mine sweepers dedicated to the task but not much more. Note the word dedicated.

Also - if Iran did attempt a power play on the straights - they would pretty much declare war on the world and lose any friends and / or support they may have.

Again - nothing to see here.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I don't see anywhere in the article where it said that Iran would block the straights. What I did see is this:

Well if they were to bomb the ships within the straits since its not hugely navigable it would create a lot of havok. With ships sunken in the straits it would be dangerous to other ships. What about the damage from the ships leaking oil as well. A cleanup would be massive and expensive.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join