It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's with those Barry Bonds placards?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The SF Giants are in Boston for a weekend series. That means Barry Bonds, who has been booed loudly by the crowd.

Lots of fans are holding up placards when Bonds comes up to bat. They are white placards with black "snowflakes" or "asterisks" on them. Not being a fan of SF, this is the first time I've ever seen these placards. What are they supposed to represent, or mean?

Puzzled,
jso

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Barry Bond is close to breaking the all time MLB Homerun record.

The * is what some folks believe should be placed by his name in the record books because many believe he used steroids.

The Steroid allegation is unproven and still being investigated.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The fans were chanting "Steroids!!" He must of felt good.

Originally posted by jsobecky
What are they supposed to represent, or mean?

He is a juiced up dude who is taking the home run record away from someone who earned it.

*earned

[edit on 17/6/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Thanks. I personally think he should never be entered into the history books.

He hit #748 today.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
#748*

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
#748*

Hehe! Good one!

I feel the same way about Pete Rose also. He should never be inducted into the HOF.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Hehe! Good one!

I feel the same way about Pete Rose also. He should never be inducted into the HOF.

How can you say that? I can understand why people hate Barry and don't want him in the books, but Rose? The majority of the people want him in the HOF. Yes, he bet on baseball... but that was AFTER his playing days. It had nothing to do with how he played. Myabe he should be banned from the HOF as a Manager, but definately not as a player. How can you deny one of the best hitters of all-time a spot in there?

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 03:41 AM
link   
He broke one of the rules of baseball. He bet on baseball, and he bet on his own team. It doesn't matter whether he bet for them or against them, the fact is, he bet on baseball.

It's a character issue. It would send the wrong message to the young players and fans if he was accepted into the HOF.

I know that you've heard all these arguments before, and that I'm not going to change your mind. And nothing you say will change my mind, either, so we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
The asterisk (*) was first used on Roger Maris when he broke Babe Ruth's single season homerun record. He used more games to do it in, so according to some, he really hadn't broken the record fairly, and the asterisk was placed there for some time...

Bonds took what probably would have been a HOF career with out "the clear and the cream", and has, to my mind anyway, reduced it to a mockery and sham.

Pete Rose? If he'd just admit to doing wrong, I'd say vote 'im in. If a blatant racist like Ty Cobb can make it in, why not Rose?

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Maybe baseball should have a Scoundrel's Hall of Fame for guys like Bonds and Rose.

I like that word, scoundrel.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
He hit #749* last night against the Yankees.

top topics

join