It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide question

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Thought about this question and wondered if I could get inputs. Concerning Suicide, if you commit it they say you go straight to hell but what if you were doing a Suicidal act such as climbing a mountian or going 200 mph on a motorcycle knowing you could die. Would it be classified as the same thing?

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Keebie
they say you go straight to hell

To begin with, we need to know who "they" are. You see, you will get many answers depending on the particular religion about suicide.

I don't believe willingly doing something dangerous that could lead to death is in the same class as suicide anywhere though.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I can only relate to "they" as a baptist myself. Not sure what other religions view this topic as.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Good question Keebie. I don't think you'd go to hell if you knew there was a chance you could die. No personally I think you'd just be judged normally rather than go straight to hell.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   
OP- Please tell me you are not implying doing something dangerous to get a result such as that?We are speaking hypothetically right?

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
hypothetically, yes. I wouldn't do such a thing. The most dangerous thing I do is drive to work everyday

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Okay cool, had me worried there. True enough just driving to work can be dangerous.I have often thought that people who engage in extreme sports have no fear of death however that does not make them suicidal.Crazy maybe- but they say it makes them feel more alive.Any death resulting from an extreme sport would be purely accidental.Iam not a religious person so I will leave that to someone else.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Okay cool, had me worried there. True enough just driving to work can be dangerous.I have often thought that people who engage in extreme sports have no fear of death however that does not make them suicidal.Crazy maybe- but they say it makes them feel more alive.Any death resulting from an extreme sport would be purely accidental.Iam not a religious person so I will leave that to someone else.

I agree
People do these things because it makes them feel alive, and usually these people are happy with life because they are doing what they love. It's not like they are intending on going out to die,that would make it suicide.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
If you do something to die but make it appear like a accident then you are still comitting suicide.

BTW i would just like to add that nowhere in the bible does it say "those that commit suicide go straight to hell" The act of suicide only goes against the will of god, that being for you to live. i myself once being very suicidal find it very difficult to believe that god would send people to hell for not being able to live.

[edit on 17/6/07 by Pfeil]

SR

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I think in relation to the question with the other things your doing that would be deemed suicide the difference is that with the other things your doing there is always a chance...you can always run the odds you know?

Like for example, Firemen there job is basically suicide but i can tell you some times they make it out of impossible sitiuations they shouldn't have and it's not just because of there training sometimes it's like pure luck.

Same as people being shot and managing to survive, mountaineers getting trapped etc. etc. you hear stories of people defying the odds all the time. So that's the thing really in these situations the event can be changed..say like theres always chance that you won't die where as in suicide it's different.

Why well because if your going to kill yourself intentionally your dictating the outcome you know? your the one making and taking the choices laid out by your own hand your life is 'somewhat' (although not all the time) intentionally being ended by yourself your in a sense chucking out the chance of survival and purposely trying to die.

I think that is the thing that religions frown upon because in a sense suicide and murder is taking away the innocence and the probability of the choices you make in life and that's why they are judged differently i suppose because you can wake up anyday and die but you didn't go out expecting it to happen it just did and was out of your control where as suicide is taking control and dying.

Also with the fact some religions believe a 'God' of sometype created us and we should not throw away the gift of life, cannot kill what you did not create etc. etc.

Anyway that's why religion is many mathematician and scientists bane i suppose lol and i think i've confused myself with my own opinion so anyway there is my skeptical 2 cents.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I dont believe in religion so i think you wouldnt go to hell.....yes i belive in god..i think you wont go to hell because the bible says it and the bible was made by man not god so its not something god said

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
As for me not believing in hell myself I have to say that committing suicide would be a cowards way out. Nothing in life is worth taking yours to solve. Believe me life gets better. Eventually.

But if one does however decide to end their life then in my opinion and belief you would be sent back to start your life over again. Life is about learning and if you cannot take the test and abort it you just will have to take the test again.

SR

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by the reaper
I dont believe in religion so i think you wouldnt go to hell.....yes i belive in god..i think you wont go to hell because the bible says it and the bible was made by man not god so its not something god said

That's the thing with religion people keep having to take the words that were written and try and make them fit into context and keep coming up with explanations in some cases. I could tell you all that we all go to a big pirate ship when we die and ride around the spirit seas and God told me and showed me this and people wouldn't believe me but i seeing there is no proof of either a heaven or a hell why is my statement any less valid...I could have disciples of my theory writing books about what 'god has told me' and in the future our desecendants might worship it

Arghhh sometimes i wish the world would stop so i could get off the ride

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
You could die getting up in the night to get a drink of water in the dark...

With that said, life does not come with risk everyday. If you were to not do some of the things that could kill you for fear of going to hell if it kills you then you are already in hell.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Without risk, shoot I can't type today...

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Without risk, shoot I can't type today...
.... there is no reward?

Just helping you out!

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
You could die getting up in the night to get a drink of water in the dark...

With that said, life does not come with risk everyday. If you were to not do some of the things that could kill you for fear of going to hell if it kills you then you are already in hell.
Oh my extremely well said!

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Accidents are'nt suicide, so I doubt that if you went rock climbing or hang gliding and a mishap occured, you will be held accountable. I knowingly smoke cigarettes and they are bad for me, but I don't think it's suicide.
I don't even think the jumpers from 9-11 were suicides. They were breathing in heavy smoke and feeling intense heat, so staying was committing suicide. They were living in the heat of the moment and were trying to escape that which was harming them.

A true suicide is this lady I once knew, who waited for her kids to go to school and then hung herself in the family garage. She left letters for her kids. Everything was all thought out. Now that's a suicide.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Where in the bible does it say if you commit suicide you will go to hell. Iv have looked for that alot and can never find it

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Some quote 1 Corinthians 3:17, which says that God will destroy someone who "defiles" the temple of the Holy Spirit. Yet, there is disagreement about what it means to defile the temple. Does this include suicide? Does it include illicit drug abuse (slow suicide), prescription drug abuse, cigarettes (deliberately breathing in poisons that will eventually kill), tattoos, over-eating (digging a grave with your spoon), or alcohol abuse?

God forbid that we add to the pain of someone who has lost a loved one through the tragedy of suicide, by making a judgment about their eternal destiny. God is the ultimate Judge, and we should therefore leave the issue in His hands. It would be wise to follow the biblical example and not come to any verdict in the case of suicide.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join