It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Recipes.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
This thread isn't about the wonderful aroma of your mothers cooking. It's about cooking when your out in the wilderness and maybe running for your life. It's about getting food and being able to cook it when you have none.

First recipe is a simple one. Cooking a fish.

You made it to the water and got your fishing gear out of your BoB, after digging up some bait you finally land a nice little bass. Now you have to cook it.

Here is a quick and simple method. Gut the fish. Make a mud cake, stick the fish on it, make another mud cake and slap it on top so you have a fish buried in a mudcake sandwich. Throw it in your little fire. When the mud is dry the fish is done. Break the mud along the seams and it will open with fish on one side, fish on the other side, ready to eat.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Now I have a question, How long do condiments last? Every time I order something at a fast food joint I end up with left over ketchup or mayo or something. If I throw some in my BoB, how long will I be able to safely use them before they make me sick?

Also, Do you have a quick and easy recipe for a survival situation?

wupy

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Table of Condiments That Periodically Go Bad

Serious answer is it depends on storage. My rule is to inspect the package for residue, recall heat factors and location. Check for discoloration when opening. Worn condition of the packet. Standard rule of thumb is one year unless subjected to heat above 80 degrees for long periods. And my number one rule about everything:

When in doubt, throw it out. Hunger is far better than dehydration as the body tries to purge from either or both ends when you make a mistake. And since condiments are just creature comforts, why take a chance if you don't need to do so?

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
HOBO dinner for when you get to Bug out in your BOV.
Tinfoil
Meat of choice. (Rabbits good this way)
any type of stuff like potatoes, carrots, and or celery. basically what ever you can find.

Wrap all ingredients in the foil. I find if your planning on going a long way leave the ingredients as thick as possible to keep them from over cooking. Tuck your little foil packages in a secure area on top of the motor.

WARNING
Do not put them behind or in any way attached to the exhaust manifold they will cook way to fast and by the time you have gone five miles they will be on fire instead of cooking. I know this from personal experience.

Do't forget to wrap the foil up very tight.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Umm Angry, wanna eleborate on that experience?The only recipes I know are for camping and not really apropriate for posting here.Keep em coming though.Anybody got a recipe for venison or moose?

[edit on 17-6-2007 by AccessDenied]

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
When I was a sprog we used to cook small pieces of meat in tinfoil using a card milk carton stuffed with paper while out camping.

First cut the meat into small strips, then wrap them up in the foil. Stick them into the milk carton and stuff the lot full of paper. Then light the paper. By the time the carton and paper have burned away, the meat is cooked to perfection. Done in a few minutes and made a decent snack. Nice.

top topics

join