It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pedal Powered Robotic Suit Developed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   

On June 15, electronics giant Matsu#a Electric (Panasonic’s parent company) unveiled a wearable robot suit called Power Pedal, which attaches to the lower body and provides users with up to seven times more leg strength.

Once strapped in, the user applies pressure to a pair of sensor-equipped pedals to control the suit, which is capable of moving in one of six directions with each step. Power Pedal is also designed to handle strolls over rough terrain, according to Matsu#a.

The company plans to cut the cost to around 3.5 million yen ($30,000) by the year 2015, as they aim to create a commercial product that can help the elderly and disabled to walk.
Matsu#a also believes the robot suit could play a useful role in disaster relief operations, especially if combined with the company’s previous upper body robot suit technology developed in 2005, which is designed to provide users with an extra 50 kilograms (110 lbs) of arm strength.

SOURCE:
Pink Tentacle

This is an interesting and cool, if not ungainly looking development in robotics.

Developments like this are the early predecessors of the Mech suits of the future,
so it's cool to see this kind of development.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
WOW!!

i CANNOT believe that they've actually designed one of those

Thats the thing from the film Alien 2, the Exoskeleton that Ripply climes into, to defeat the queen.

I cant find a deceent image that works, but type "ALIENS EXOSKELETON" into Google, and there's TWO pics in the top row...

My freind and i were talking about this, liturally about two days ago saying how cool it would be if they designed this.

Thankyou for bringing this to my attention

FLAGGED!!!

[edit on 16-6-2007 by Anomic of Nihilism]

new topics

join