It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Land of the Obese?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Before I start, let me first say that this is in no was an attack on US culture or people.

It can be said that trends in the US eventually cross the atlantic to the UK.

One of the more worrying trends is the average obesity level.

I raise this because over here there has been a lot in the press in the last couple of years about obesity levels increasing in the UK, and also throughout Europe.

Because we live (at the moment) in a PC (another import - thanks guys lol) nanny state, the authorites are "very concerned" about obesity levels, particularly in children.
So much so that they now want to classify child obesity as "a form of neglect"
news.bbc.co.uk...

I've been having a look at national obesity levels and the US rates pretty high with the Uk and particularly England catching up.
www.vexen.co.uk...

These measurements are by BMI or body mass index and are for children.

The graphs in this link (follow links for various graphs) shows the percentage of adults by country who have a normal BMI, as well as many other statistics regarding BMI
www.who.int...

I'm really curious as to why this should be the case, and because I know that many Americans are members of this site, I might be able to get some information as to why they think this is the case.

Thoughts that have occurred to me are that we have both become more affluent societies, both have many fast food outlets, both have many more cars than a couple of generations (or even 1 generation) ago thus reducing exercise levels. Much of what we do is automated to a greater or lesser extent.

Please let me know your thoughts.

[edit on 14/6/2007 by budski]

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
What makes us different from our ancestors? we do not use our bodies for hard labor anymore.

At least in countries that are more technologically advance and modernized.

Obesity has many reason, medical, genetic, food, life style and others.

We are becoming an expanding society that is not doubt, but we are also become a society in which manual, hard and physical labor is not longer needed.

Also food is easily accessible we eat more in one day that our ancestor did in a week, (just generalization)

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Good points - I'm going to try and find some stats about how the car has affected obesity levels, but probably not tonight.

One of the things I blame is fast food, particularly mcdonalds and BK, also the types of food we eat - i.e. frozen meals with high levels of saturated fats and hydrogenated fat.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Well, as marg stated, much of it has to do with people being inactive. However, I also believe that a lot of the crap that they put in our food is contributing to this.

Also, in the United States, for many people, fast food is an everyday thing. We all know what fast food is.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Every day?

How do people do that?

Remember the programme 30 days?

I really didn't think people lived like that, but I suppose they must - in this country too.
Still fast food every day OMG

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

Every day?

I really didn't think people lived like that, but I suppose they must - in this country too.
Still fast food every day OMG

Certainly. I have seen people eat at fast food restaurants everyday. I personally don't and never have, but most would probably consider me underweight. So, I don't really apply.

There are people that have ate a home cooked meal in ages. They just run down to the nearest What a Burger or Taco Bell, and grab something to eat. I think it all reverts back to the "culture of laziness."

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Well, I have a BMI of 19% and eat pretty healthily, but because I can't exercise I'm a little overweight.

I have to say that on the very odd occasion that I want a burger, I go to the butcher, and get them to mince up some lean beef and make a couple of patties, that some red onion and organic cheese and wholemeal bun gives me a tasty, fairly healthy burger for less than the price of a big mac meal.

Do these people who have all the fast food ever eat fruit or veg? I still find it hard to understand that people choose to eat like that.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Do these people who have all the fast food ever eat fruit or veg? I still find it hard to understand that people choose to eat like that.

Oh, I suppose they do. I don't claim to know their entire eating habits, but I can tell you this, let's just suppose they don't do it everyday but 2-3 times a week, even at that... all I an say is WOW!!

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
In our fast paced society many people do not have the time to prepared meals at home.

Is a lot of people that depend heavily on fast food alternatives.

One example are college students, having a college student daughter I have to fight with her about her nutrition.

Even when I know that she can cook very well, thanks to me.

She said is easier to pick something on her way around that having to take the time to cook.

In the other hand I have a son that only eats fast food.

BTW both of them are very slim and actually underweight by standards.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
In our fast paced society many people do not have the time to prepared meals at home.

I think that's a bit of a myth, perpetuated in society as an excuse for laziness - not that I'm saying your kids are lazy

I can cook a perfectly healthy meal, from fresh ingredients and eat it in half an hour - probably less time than it takes for someone to jump in the car, drive to the fast food place, order, pay, get served and eat.

In fact we have a TV chef here (gordon ramsey) who does a piece on his show every week showing people how to cook a nutritious healthy meal in less than 30 minutes.

Another thing that puzzles me is people saying how tasty fast food is - do they have no taste buds? for the most part it's disgusting!

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

I think that's a bit of a myth, perpetuated in society as an excuse for laziness - not that I'm saying your kids are lazy

Agreed there Budski. A perfectly tasty, balanced meal can be prepared and eaten in less time than it would take to get any fast food meal.

The preception is it is quicker because you don't have to expend any effort cooking the thing.

My former housemates girlfriend used to hate cooking because it "took too long" and "too much to do".

Thing is, she wouldn't do any quick prep for the meal and end up rushing around at the last minute trying to get everything done. If you take 5 mins before you start just to get all the ingredients sorted out, you'll find the meal just makes itself and is probably quicker as a result.

Granted, I trained as a chef before going into telecoms, but I use one piece of advice from when I learnt to cook. Basically, don't burn it.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I have seen why many young people do not take the time to cook at college.

I am at home, so I can take all day to prepared meals everyday following a healthy diet.

I have time to drive to the market and pic the fresh ingredients on my meals everyday depending my meal plan.

But I can do this because I am at home all day.

Due to health matters affecting me and my inability to take certain prescription medicines I have to keep a very strict diet. But that doesn't mean boring and tasteless food.

I have the time to make anything the best meal that there is.

My children knows how to cook I made sure that they learned at home, but they just don't want too.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
And don't forget that chips, donuts, jerky, soda, candy and other junk food is literally pushed in your face any time you get gas, beer, smokes or ammo,
at any 7-ll/convenience store. Also vending Machines full of junk are around any corner in almost any building, in any downtown, in any American city.

Eat at any restaurant in Texas and the portions for one are enough to feed a family of four. And I suspect that this is going on in most of the southern states.

I sincerely try to watch my diet but my friends are constantly saying, "whaaa, let's go get some ice creme" damn them to hell because they all know my weakness for rocky road.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
And don't forget that chips, donuts, jerky, soda, candy and other junk food is literally pushed in your face any time you get gas, beer, smokes or ammo,
at any 7-ll/convenience store. Also vending Machines full of junk are around any corner in almost any building, in any downtown, in any American city.

Eat at any restaurant in Texas and the portions for one are enough to feed a family of four. And I suspect that this is going on in most of the southern states.

I sincerely try to watch my diet but my friends are constantly saying, "whaaa, let's go get some ice creme" damn them to hell because they all know my weakness for rocky road.

I came across some stats about the states with the highest obesity rates
www.webmd.com...

I find it amazing that people can live on junk food, and actually enjoy it!

But they do say that it has addictive properties due to the amount of sugar it contains
www.organicconsumers.org...
media.www.kstatecollegian.com... 16.shtml

Enjoy your next burger

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
It's unfortunate that we are victims of our own success. Out grandparents and parents worked extremely hard so that the next generations wouldn't have to worry about where their next meal is coming from, and so they wouldn't have to labor behind a plow all day long in the hot sun.

Now, in a wonderful ironic twist, we find that we're healthier if we stay a little hungry and frequently do some good, hard labor.

I got feeling a little lousy earlier this year, and on the first of February tossed out all my medicine, including my antidepressants and my blood pressure and cholesterol medicine. I bought a relatively inexpensive elliptical machine that was on sale, and cut back on the amount of food I was shoveling into my face. I mostly changed the amount, although I did try to steer myself away from the easy carbs and more towards whole grains and fruits.

And sure enough, I've lost 20 pounds since then, and plan on losing another 10 or so just for good measure. At a recent doctor's visit, my blood pressure was low enough that he didn't suggest taking any medication for it. So all that stuff about working out an eating right is apparently true.

And I'm not a young guy. Eisenhower was President when I was born. And I have a very bad injured foot that requires zero-impact exercise. But I was still able to do it. Did I have cravings? Sure, but they've eventually decreased so they don't torture me.

So when I hear people crying about being too fat and not being able to do anything about it, I'm afraid I don't have a lot of sympathy. I just figure that they're weak and don't have self-control, because I'm no paragon of virtue, and Yeah, we've all be dealt a bad hand in life, being slaves to our own bodies. But what's the alternative? Being dead.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Yeah,
I heard some woman on the TV the other day (big brother) say "bigger people need more food, cos they got bigger appetites"

My first thought?
No you want more food cos you love eating and that's why you're a "bigger" person.

People can excuse anything that they do if they get what they want.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Well there is a huge market of junk food, I mean there is an overabundance for the stuff, theres no abundance of healthy foods. You walk down a grocery isle, I guarentee 70% of the stuff is totally unhealthy for you.

It doesnt help either that there is billions of dollars used to advertise these discusting products.

I am in near perfect shape and health, and I can attest that there is not much junk food in my house. However, I have a friend who is overweight, his cupboards are filled with all sorts of goodies.

I also find it kinda weird how most of the food that is unhealthy for us tastes so good, yet the foods that are healthy, dont taste as good.

I attribute obesity to a variety of issues. First, lack of activity. Second, lack of self discipline. Third, the total overabundance of junk food that even a dog wouldnt eat.

I also attribute obesity to karma.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightWorker13
I also find it kinda weird how most of the food that is unhealthy for us tastes so good, yet the foods that are healthy, dont taste as good.

that, my friend, is the secret ingredient....

Good old MSG, or Monosodium Glutamate.

Just look on the ingredients of all the "tasty" but unhealthy foods...

It will be there....

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
SuicideVirus

Your story brings me to a couple friend of mine that when the husband was diagnosed with adult diabetes he decided to take matters into hands and do a life changing trip.

He lost so far 40 pounds have the diabetes reversed and now his wife has lost 15 following his determined new eating habits.

No more refined sugar, pasta and potatoes (can raise your sugar very bad), salt will bring hypertension, a simple low carbo diet helps a lot.

BTW he is no doing exercises just by changing eating habits has lost the weight, I can imagine if he does diet combine with exercises the weight lost would be a lot more.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I suppose I'm quite lucky where I live - in a rural area (after years of living in cities)
We have grocers who sell nothing but fresh fruit and veg, much of it local produce, butchers who sell fresh meat rather than pre-packaged stuff.

Supermarkets must be a nightmare if you have a sweet tooth or can't be bothered to cook, forzen ready meals, junk food, cakes, sweets etc etc

I can't help thinking though that perhaps a little self control is in order for some people.

I was having a discussion with a friend who is overweight (actually obese) and he said that old nugget "it's my glands" rather cruelly I replied "why, did you eat them?"
The point is I've seen him eat and drink - he consumes more at one sitting than I eat in a day - he thought super-size was the greatest invention ever.

Thankfully, I've got him out walking and looking at what he eats and he's starting to get into it - fingers crossed, don't want to see him ill.

On the subject of tasty junk food - do they still use monosodiumglutomate or MSG in the US - well known for making food tastier than it really is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join